Developers Support Thread

Search This thread

IT_Blackbelt

Jun 27, 2012
Has anyone embedded koush's superuser into their 4.3.1 ROM's, I cant get it to give me root access, but the app builds into the system settings

jjhiza

Dec 19, 2010
Dirty Jersey
Hey everyone, I'm glad to see this thread is still going strong! Quick question... How are we (aspiring Galaxy Nexus devs) going about building 4.4? Ive got the repo synced, and I have the binaries for Toro, Maguro, Mako, Manta, Grouper, Tilapia, and Hammerhead, and I'm raring to go. I see that the GNex ROMs are being based off of KRT16S, but I'm wondering which device I should build, in order to have success (I'm building Toro).

Additionally, I'm assuming that all GNex ROMs are - essentially - ports... I've found a few decent porting guides that I can use, but I was wondering if anyone here had any up-to-date, Galaxy Nexus-specific information they'd be willing to pass on. Thanks for any/all information guys! :good:

IT_Blackbelt

Jun 27, 2012
Hey everyone, I'm glad to see this thread is still going strong! Quick question... How are we (aspiring Galaxy Nexus devs) going about building 4.4? Ive got the repo synced, and I have the binaries for Toro, Maguro, Mako, Manta, Grouper, Tilapia, and Hammerhead, and I'm raring to go. I see that the GNex ROMs are being based off of KRT16S, but I'm wondering which device I should build, in order to have success (I'm building Toro).

Additionally, I'm assuming that all GNex ROMs are - essentially - ports... I've found a few decent porting guides that I can use, but I was wondering if anyone here had any up-to-date, Galaxy Nexus-specific information they'd be willing to pass on. Thanks for any/all information guys! :good:

As long as you have the right binaries, any of the mentioned should build. No not all Gnex roms are ports, I build mine straight from AOSP.

As far as 4.4 goes, I would hold off on building for the Gnex until the amazingly smart dudes working on the 3.4 kernel get it up and working because then we could experience 4.4 as it should be.

Reactions: jjhiza

jjhiza

Dec 19, 2010
Dirty Jersey
As long as you have the right binaries, any of the mentioned should build. No not all Gnex roms are ports, I build mine straight from AOSP.

As far as 4.4 goes, I would hold off on building for the Gnex until the amazingly smart dudes working on the 3.4 kernel get it up and working because then we could experience 4.4 as it should be.

I completely understand your point about waiting for proper kernel support, but I think I'd like to compile and fiddle around a bit in the meantime, lol.

If you don't mind me asking, how are you building GNex from AOSP? It doesn't have binaries in the repo (4.3 is the latest)... I tried building Toro, and ran into an error regarding "no make file"... I'm really interested in knowing what process you used in order to get a successful KRT16S build, compiled and running via AOSP... I've been building for about a year now, but I admit, I'm a bit stumped right now. Any help you could give me would be much appreciated. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

IT_Blackbelt

Jun 27, 2012
I completely understand your point about waiting for proper kernel support, but I think I'd like to compile and fiddle around a bit in the meantime, lol.

If you don't mind me asking, how are you building GNex from AOSP? It doesn't have binaries in the repo (4.3 is the latest)... I tried building Toro, and ran into an error regarding "no make file"... I'm really interested in knowing what process you used in order to get a successful KRT16S build, compiled and running via AOSP... I've been building for about a year now, but I admit, I'm a bit stumped right now. Any help you could give me would be much appreciated. :)

If you post your build errors, we can help you out. It could be any number of things.

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

You need to go to developer settings and set root access to apps and adb.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app

I dont have that in developer settings, I have it in the Superuser menu settings and it is currently set to apps and adb. I have to be missing something because i can flash the zip in recovery and have root access

Last edited:

jjhiza

Dec 19, 2010
Dirty Jersey
If you post your build errors, we can help you out. It could be any number of things.

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

I don't even have real "build errors" though... Toro just isn't in the manifest for any of the 4.4 branches. That's why I was wondering how it's possible to build a Galaxy Nexus ROM from AOSP. If I need to edit files somewhere, that's fine... I'm just having trouble getting started. This is the first time I've had to deal with trying to build a ROM for an unsupported device. Here's what I'm getting though...hopefully it helps. Thank you for helping me troubleshoot.

Code:
jjhiza@Jay-Machine ~ $ cd android_source
jjhiza@Jay-Machine ~/android_source $ . build/envsetup.sh
including device/samsung/manta/vendorsetup.sh
including device/lge/hammerhead/vendorsetup.sh
including device/lge/mako/vendorsetup.sh
including device/asus/grouper/vendorsetup.sh
including device/asus/deb/vendorsetup.sh
including device/asus/tilapia/vendorsetup.sh
including device/asus/flo/vendorsetup.sh
including device/generic/armv7-a-neon/vendorsetup.sh
including device/generic/x86/vendorsetup.sh
including device/generic/mips/vendorsetup.sh
including sdk/bash_completion/adb.bash
jjhiza@Jay-Machine ~/android_source $ lunch

You're building on Linux

Lunch menu... pick a combo:
     1. aosp_arm-eng
     2. aosp_x86-eng
     3. aosp_mips-eng
     4. aosp_x86_64-eng
     5. vbox_x86-eng
     6. aosp_manta-userdebug
     7. aosp_hammerhead-userdebug
     8. aosp_mako-userdebug
     9. aosp_grouper-userdebug
     10. aosp_deb-userdebug
     11. aosp_tilapia-userdebug
     12. aosp_flo-userdebug
     13. mini_armv7a_neon-userdebug
     14. mini_x86-userdebug
     15. mini_mips-userdebug

Which would you like? [aosp_arm-eng] aosp_toro-userdebug
build/core/product_config.mk:222: *** Can not locate config makefile for product "aosp_toro".  Stop.

** Don't have a product spec for: 'aosp_toro'
** Do you have the right repo manifest?

jjhiza@Jay-Machine ~/android_source $

jjhiza

Dec 19, 2010
Dirty Jersey
Try checking through this source, its basically aosp 4.4 to build for toro (and a few other devices)

https://github.com/ShinyROM

Thank you!!! I was digging through my source, and found that I don't have any files for Toro under /android_source/device... So I was NEVER going to be able to build Toro, no matter how hard i tried. Looking through the Git repo you linked me to, there are clearly some files that would require editing, in order for Toro to be viable. This is definitely going to get me compiling... I'm still wondering why Toro didn't get pulled down, when I synced the Master branch. I had to 'repo init' back to a 4.3 branch, and repo sync again, for it to show up in my device tree, which seems a bit...counterproductive.

I'll hit up Baldwinguy on Rootz to see which directories I need to pull from his repo. Thanks again man! :good:

bsmitty83

Apr 22, 2012
Detroit
Hey fellas I got a question , I'm compiling a ROM on my computer , and I leave my scroll back in terminal to unlimited . if I have the same window open for a few days my laptop will freeze . I don't know what specifically causes this , was hoping someone on here knew

metalspring

Nov 5, 2011
Hey fellas I got a question , I'm compiling a ROM on my computer , and I leave my scroll back in terminal to unlimited . if I have the same window open for a few days my laptop will freeze . I don't know what specifically causes this , was hoping someone on here knew

I'm guessing the terminal just doesnt like that many lines being left in it, have you tried simply trying to have everything be output to a file instead of keeping unlimited scrolling in terminal?

Reactions: bsmitty83

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Developers Support Thread

What does that mean?

Quite literally, this thread is intended to support developers. I intend to help out anyone who needs a hand in an attempt to develop for the Galaxy Nexus, or any other phone but I'm going to reference my website with step by step instructions to get you through the beginning stages and comfortable with development. This will also cut down on the number of "noob questions".

Background:
    My private messages and e-mail stay filled with usually the same questions. There are lots of people who have android phones and the excitement of owning them doesn't stop there. They want to learn how these other people are creating custom roms on their phone. Some people want a minimalism rom, pure AOSP with maybe one or two mods, such as reboot and status bar toggles, but otherwise want a stock setup. They browse around all these great roms but they are just too many mods for their taste. What do you do from there? You can request a developer release a version with only those two mods, and then wait for the end of time because it's not coming. Or you can compile your own rom from source code and have whatever mods you choose.

Rules:

1) No trolling. If someone appears to be a troll and everyone agrees they are a troll, leave it at that. NOT responding to a troll is the only way to defeat them so practice that rampid in this thread.

2) Anyone who knows an answer to a question posted, feel free to join in, the entire community including current developers should participate. This will only serve to strengthen the development community.

3) No question is too small. Everyone starts somewhere so if someone post asking what a terminal is, or how to find usb debugging in settings, do not discourage them from continuing to learn. There is no place for that and you will have become a troll. You will know it too because everyone will ignore your comments ;).

Get your start here:

http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

This is google's own instruction but it's hard for some people just starting off to feel comfortable with. I have elaborated on this guide with an entire website aimed at educating people. Please visit here: http://www.dreamsforgotten.net Understand the site is very new, I have been working on it for a month or so, but it will grow and evolve as does this thread. Any questions that get tackled here that are repeated, and seem to affect many people, I will add the resolution to the website as well.

I do have ad sense on the website in an attempt to cover the hosting fees, there is no option to set up an account @ dreamsforgotten.net. Anyone is free to stop by and view it, and take from it what they need. So far I have enough instruction in place to get anyone who is using a supported development device (as well as sprint and verizon galaxy nexi lol) compiling from source rather quickly.

Please leave me feedback on what you would like to see addressed in the future, and consider this the support thread. Dreamsforgotten.net is for you to get a step by step instruction on setting up an environment, this thread is for you to expand that and get assistance when you hit a snag in the road. Thanks guys and I'll be responding to questions as I get time. Enjoy.
    I will shoot you a pm later to hash out the info. I have a shared hosting plan going to waste right now. I can get you access to it for you to upload your site.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    git remote add aosp GIT_REPO
    git fetch aosp
    git merge aosp jb-mr1-release
    I'm guessing if you remove the binaries from this tar http://www.sxtpdevelopers.com/showthread.php?t=107, you shouldn't need to do the edits to source for the ril to function. I don't have toroplus anymore to test this so let everyone know.

yes this is true. from 4.1 to 4.2 the telephony files were moved from frameworks/base to frameworks/opt/telephony. this is the reason why we needed the fix for data. the old binaries from 4.1 pointed to frameworks/base but with the new binaries they have been updated to point to the right direction wich is frameworks/opt/telephony. ypu can grab the new binaries from any new rom im sure has been updated with new binaries by now. im sure there is a deodex version of stock 4.2.1 sprint ota update somewhere or you can just use my vendor for toroplus which i have updated with new binaries already HERE.
    Hosting cost, I'm not really making up for it so I must cut it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

You need hosting? I can help out there

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus