[Q] Nexus 7 LTE Google play

Search This thread

coffeelude

Dec 20, 2013
Can I buy the nexus 7 LTE version from google play and use it abroad? Has anyone done this? Would appreciate any information on countries one could use the nexus.

TheWerewolf

Nov 24, 2006
Surrey, BC
It'll work fine a road, but you probably won't have LTE. You'll have to make do with HSPA+.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

He may get it depending on which country he's in. The NA version of the N7 LTE supports LTE bands 1/2/3/4/5/13/17.

1 - Macedonia
3 - Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (Bouyges), Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Span, Switzerland, UK

2, 4, 5, 13 and 17 aren't used in Europe.

Unfortunately, the main bands are 7 and 20. So it's possible you'll get LTE but even in those countries, some are 7 with some 3 (France for example) so you might find 3 support spotty.

Annoyingly, Canada is 4 and 7. So we have a similar problem with the NA N7 LTE. It's ok right now - but there's a growing move to 7 which will make this device a problem in a few years.

Reactions: coffeelude

coffeelude

Dec 20, 2013
Thanks for the information guys, those are very helpful details. Am guessing the nexus 7 available from google play unlocked? The price of the unlocked version and the carrier version is the same and that got me thinking if there was a catch.

Could you use the nexus 7 with a SIM to make calls?

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
Thanks for the information guys, those are very helpful details. Am guessing the nexus 7 available from google play unlocked? The price of the unlocked version and the carrier version is the same and that got me thinking if there was a catch.

Could you use the nexus 7 with a SIM to make calls?

They're all unlocked. They just include a carrier SIM for added convenience. There's no such thing as an N7 LTE that's locked to a carrier.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition using Tapatalk

Duffmantp

Jun 26, 2011
Can I buy the nexus 7 LTE version from google play and use it abroad? Has anyone done this? Would appreciate any information on countries one could use the nexus.

I actually just bought the unlocked N7 for the same reason to travel aboard, and i didnt want carrier locks while there and having to mess to much with unlocking to insert different sims. But, i just got a Tmobile SIM, they have a plan called Simple Choice plan. They are giving free 2G of data on top of the plan you purchase from to over 100+ countries they have service. I pay $50/month for 6.5G of data for US service. I think they have a plan as low as $30/month for 2.5G US Service. And when i travel next year, to a country listed, i will get 2GIG a month, which is totally cool when im only there for two weeks anyway.

And if the country is not listed, then i just buy a local sim for data and never have to worry because the device is unlocked.

Reactions: coffeelude

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
I actually just bought the unlocked N7 for the same reason to travel aboard, and i didnt want carrier locks while there and having to mess to much with unlocking to insert different sims. But, i just got a Tmobile SIM, they have a plan called Simple Choice plan. They are giving free 2G of data on top of the plan you purchase from to over 100+ countries they have service. I pay $50/month for 6.5G of data for US service. I think they have a plan as low as $30/month for 2.5G US Service. And when i travel next year, to a country listed, i will get 2GIG a month, which is totally cool when im only there for two weeks anyway.

And if the country is not listed, then i just buy a local sim for data and never have to worry because the device is unlocked.

So you get 2 GB ON TOP of the 6.5GB?! That's awesome.

How about the minutes, though? If someone casks you at your US numbers and you answered, how much is the per minute cost?

Duffmantp

Jun 26, 2011

How about the minutes, though? If someone casks you at your US numbers and you answered, how much is the per minute cost?

I thought i read somewhere thats calls were .20 per minute. I dont have phone capabilities. So i dont care. I talked with a rep, its unlimited text and data on 2G network for 100+ countries. You can buy 4g/lte data at $5 for 500MB and $10 1GIG for 7 days. The 200MB is for US service not overseas. i hope that clears up the confusion.

Reactions: lanwarrior

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It'll work fine a road, but you probably won't have LTE. You'll have to make do with HSPA+.

He may get it depending on which country he's in. The NA version of the N7 LTE supports LTE bands 1/2/3/4/5/13/17.

1 - Macedonia
    3 - Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (Bouyges), Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Span, Switzerland, UK

2, 4, 5, 13 and 17 aren't used in Europe.

Unfortunately, the main bands are 7 and 20. So it's possible you'll get LTE but even in those countries, some are 7 with some 3 (France for example) so you might find 3 support spotty.

Annoyingly, Canada is 4 and 7. So we have a similar problem with the NA N7 LTE. It's ok right now - but there's a growing move to 7 which will make this device a problem in a few years.

It's not 2GB. It's 200MB.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I thought i read somewhere thats calls were .20 per minute. I dont have phone capabilities. So i dont care. I talked with a rep, its unlimited text and data on 2G network for 100+ countries. You can buy 4g/lte data at $5 for 500MB and $10 1GIG for 7 days. The 200MB is for US service not overseas. i hope that clears up the confusion.