XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] New to rooting and i need serious help

Tip us?

dimintia
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] New to rooting and i need serious help

I recently acquired a Samsung Galaxy S2 (AT&T - SGH-i777, upgraded to ICS via Kies), my first Android.

After a bit of root researching, I installed Odin (1.85) and then the Siyah kernel

I proceeded to follow the steps listed on a walk through website and everything went smoothly, however when the phone rebooted, the Samsung screen loaded first, followed by the Siyah ICS logo screen, and then blackness.

I can boot into the recovery and want to just erase everything and start over. Yet, because of my noobness, I'd rather ask experts before I go off and really fudge this phone up. WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?!

Ctls_Murari
Old
(Last edited by Ctls_Murari; 20th December 2013 at 05:45 AM.) Reason: sentence mistakes
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimintia View Post
I recently acquired a Samsung Galaxy S2 (AT&T - SGH-i777, upgraded to ICS via Kies), my first Android.

After a bit of root researching, I installed Odin (1.85) and then the Siyah kernel

I proceeded to follow the steps listed on a walk through website and everything went smoothly, however when the phone rebooted, the Samsung screen loaded first, followed by the Siyah ICS logo screen, and then blackness.

I can boot into the recovery and want to just erase everything and start over. Yet, because of my noobness, I'd rather ask experts before I go off and really fudge this phone up. WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?!
Your problem is not clear. What are you facing after rebooting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ctls_Murari For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SteveMurphy
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1756
Also, what rom specifically did you install? It could be something as simple as an incompatible kernel, in which case it's an easy fix. But we do need a bit more information, please.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

creepyncrawly
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2659

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMurphy View Post
Also, what rom specifically did you install? It could be something as simple as an incompatible kernel, in which case it's an easy fix. But we do need a bit more information, please.
It sounds like he didn't install a rom, just a kernel. Yes, I think it is an incompatible kernel.

@dimintia,

My guess is that you tried to install a Jelly Bean version of the siyah kernel, and maybe one that is not built for the SGH-I777. To recover, you can flash an ICS kernel built for the SGH-I777. Or the easiest way to recover would be to use Odin to flash stock Jelly Bean, UCMD8, which you can download from the Download Repository at the bottom of the page. You can then use the Framaroot application with the Aragorn exploit to root.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]