5,596,568 Members 40,851 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] RAM

Tip us?

ascanio1
Old
(Last edited by ascanio1; 20th December 2013 at 03:45 AM.) Reason: Typing errors!
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Service [Q] RAM

How do I free up RAM for my Samsung Note II LTE GT-N7105 on stock Android 4.3, rooted?

I am an Android retarded user looking for a patient teacher who will walk me through the Android RAM mysteries and answer a few question and, in exchnage, I can teach about the secret world of Traditional Neapolitan coffee infusion: home roasting, grinding, preparation and... savouring or, alternatively, Home Theatre! Your pick!

Smiles!

On average, at startup,

- Clean Master shows:
> 50% RAM
> 70% Device Storage
> 20% SDcard External Storage.

- Titanium Back shows:
> 500MB free RAM (of 2.11GB)
> 4GB free Internal+Media (of 10.9GB)
> 50GB free ExtSDcard (of 63.8GB)

Starting with these numbers, the device freezes after a bit of usage of the Swipe (Nuance) App. But I recently played with a 78 year old banker's GT-N7105, which was 20 times faster than mine, while running the same Swipe keyboard App: "My nephew geeks around a forum called xda-developers!"

1. In general, what's the relationship between installed Apps and RAM usage? Sometimes when I kill an app it frees up a bit of RAM, sometimes a lot and sometimes nothing at all.
2. Do installed (but not opened) Apps take up RAM space just by sitting in my Apps drawer? Should I uninstall all the Apps which I downloaded because "one day I might need it" and never used them or are they harmless (RAM wise) if I don't open them?
3. Do Apps which have been launched and now sit in the background take up RAM (as in Windows)?
4. Is there any difference between "fereezing" and "un-installing" an app as far as device operation speed is concerned?
5. Do I need to make sure that Apps don't start up if I don't need them (Google Play Services, Google Play Store, Goggle Translation, YouTube, Video Player, S Voice, Picasa Uploader, Nearby Service, Nearby Devices, SNS)?
6. If they eat up RAM, how do I make sure that they don't self start? Android Assistant App?
7. If background open Apps eat up RAM, is there a way to kill them automatically once I open a new one without loosing the cahced data which i might be using?

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.
Italians do it better... !

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascanio1 View Post
How do I free up RAM for my Samsung Note II LTE GT-N7105 on stock Android 4.3, rooted?

I am an Android retarded user looking for a patient teacher who will walk me through the Android RAM mysteries and answer a few question and, in exchnage, I can teach about the secret world of Traditional Neapolitan coffee infusion: home roasting, grinding, preparation and... savouring or, alternatively, Home Theatre! Your pick!

Smiles!

On average, at startup,

- Clean Master shows:
> 50% RAM
> 70% Device Storage
> 20% SDcard External Storage.

- Titanium Back shows:
> 500MB free RAM (of 2.11GB)
> 4GB free Internal+Media (of 10.9GB)
> 50GB free ExtSDcard (of 63.8GB)

Starting with these numbers, the device freezes after a bit of usage of the Swipe (Nuance) App. But I recently played with a 78 year old banker's GT-N7105, which was 20 times faster than mine, while running the same Swipe keyboard App: "My nephew geeks around a forum called xda-developers!"

1. In general, what's the relationship between installed Apps and RAM usage? Sometimes when I kill an app it frees up a bit of RAM, sometimes a lot and sometimes nothing at all.
2. Do installed (but not opened) Apps take up RAM space just by sitting in my Apps drawer? Should I uninstall all the Apps which I downloaded because "one day I might need it" and never used them or are they harmless (RAM wise) if I don't open them?
3. Do Apps which have been launched and now sit in the background take up RAM (as in Windows)?
4. Is there any difference between "fereezing" and "un-installing" an app as far as device operation speed is concerned?
5. Do I need to make sure that Apps don't start up if I don't need them (Google Play Services, Google Play Store, Goggle Translation, YouTube, Video Player, S Voice, Picasa Uploader, Nearby Service, Nearby Devices, SNS)?
6. If they eat up RAM, how do I make sure that they don't self start? Android Assistant App?
7. If background open Apps eat up RAM, is there a way to kill them automatically once I open a new one without loosing the cahced data which i might be using?

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.
Ugggg I hate this app lately! Just spent ten minuets answering all your points fully and it gave me stupid permission error! Even wrote a nice analogy about ram and libraries...forgive me if I'm brief now
Sum it up
Poorly made apps or ones that need to stay in the background to operate fully or spy on you stay in ram, many don't, dump bad and seldom used apps, stay away from task killers, if you need one use watchdog, see what's actually using cpu, better battery stats or cpu spy can help too. Freezing is fine, v6supercharger can help you, setting background process limit in developer settings can help
You have a nice snappy phone, get rid of junk and use nice roms and you'll have no issues

Secret world of traditional neapolitan coffee infusion sounds intriguing

Sent from my SGH-T699 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

an0nym0us_
Old
Thanks Meter 3481
i would suggest installing and using greenify, since u already rooted.
post #3 of that thread is worth reading, probably will answer most, if not all of your question regarding android ram usage

ascanio1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
@an0nym0us_
Cool advice, thanks! I installed and I will try it now.

ascanio1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
@an0nym0us_
Cool advice, thanks! I installed and I will try it now.

ascanio1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
@demkantor
I only got the jist of it but I didn't really understand... any chance to try again, when you have more time on your hands?

There are 3 aspects that make up coffee flavour: the beans' quality, roasting and preparation.

Beans (origin, ripeness, homogeneity, dryness) and roasting (tempreature, duration) are, for now, out of your reach. But preparation isn't.

Most infusion's preparation depends on 3 basic parameters:
- temperature
- time
- contact surface.

Threfore brewing time and temperature and the beans' grind size (and also the grinding method) will influence the coffee taste: the greater the time, temperature (up to 95C) and surface the greater the organoleptic proprieties' transfer will occurr. Which does not necessarily mean the better taste... more on that in the next lesson.

Organoleptic properties are the aspects of food or other substances as experienced by the senses, including taste, sight, smell, and touch, in cases where dryness, moisture, and stale-fresh factors are to be considered.