5,603,920 Members 41,904 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] "Questions" or "how the high temperature of my optimus g brought me here"

Tip us?

Dimitriedu
Old
(Last edited by Dimitriedu; 18th December 2013 at 08:10 AM.) Reason: Screens not loading
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] "Questions" or "how the high temperature of my optimus g brought me here"

First of all, thanks to whoever at least takes the time to read this, and a warning: english is not my native language

I got a Optimus G a couple of weeks ago, and has and old Defy+ user, once i got home, i started to root and see what to do with this bad boy.

I checked plenty of Roms, played with some configurations, launchers and some great games (and yes, form time to time i used to make some calls and send some sms )

But i always felt something was not right. Something like the temperature. It is HOT. I checked on many forums, and the general answer to other users that say "my cellphone is hot" was "All smarthphones are hot" with a bunch of reason as to why they are hot. And those reason seemed logical to me. That was till i used for the 1st time the "toch/flashlight". I put my finger for a second there and was FRIGGIN HOT, ALMOST LIKE BURNING. Well... i dont like that. But, maybe i was used to the Defy+ flash, that never got hot.

Back to searching, i needed to be sure the phone with no more than 2 weeks old, was going to melt in my hands. I'm from argentina, and although outside temps reach the +38°C, my AC keeps my department at 25°C, so it was not "room temp".
Downloaded and app to tell the temp.... 39°/40°.... Ok, not good.

Those forums, were talking about a "hot phone"... AT 31°-35°C... AND MINE IS RUNNING AT 40°?!?!?!? I'm more than worried...

Searching... searching... And i found maaaaybe has to be the core of my problem: Kernel. I mean, that's the thing controlling cpu voltages, screen brightness, vibration and all the things inside these magic boxes, right?

I'm using PARANOID ANDROID 3.99 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2339403) and followed the instructions to install it but even it says "CM kernel as default" i'm not sure if i needed to install that kernel apart.

So, the questions:
1) 40°... That's hot for an optimus g, RIGHT?????
2) The Led/flash/torch/flashlight burning like laser.... Not normal... Rite?
3) I should wipe all and re-install the rom (paranoid? ) AND a kernel? If i have to, what kernel? (more to the field of battery optimization, than overclocking cpu). Maybe try this rom? Epsilon Project v03 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2437562
4) Also, for no reasons, some games cant be played, i install them, try to open and after a initial screen or two, it closes, with the message of the obvious (The app did not respond and closed). Plants vs Zombies 2, Avengers Alliance, Dragon Slayer, among others..... Weird, right?

Some screens:
System

CPU data

Stand by / Idle (wifi on, screen brightness at minimun)

After 4 min of playing Demon Hunter 4.... =_= (wifi on, screen brightness at minimun)

seniga1
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitriedu View Post
First of all, thanks to whoever at least takes the time to read this, and a warning: english is not my native language

I got a Optimus G a couple of weeks ago, and has and old Defy+ user, once i got home, i started to root and see what to do with this bad boy.

I checked plenty of Roms, played with some configurations, launchers and some great games (and yes, form time to time i used to make some calls and send some sms )

But i always felt something was not right. Something like the temperature. It is HOT. I checked on many forums, and the general answer to other users that say "my cellphone is hot" was "All smarthphones are hot" with a bunch of reason as to why they are hot. And those reason seemed logical to me. That was till i used for the 1st time the "toch/flashlight". I put my finger for a second there and was FRIGGIN HOT, ALMOST LIKE BURNING. Well... i dont like that. But, maybe i was used to the Defy+ flash, that never got hot.

Back to searching, i needed to be sure the phone with no more than 2 weeks old, was going to melt in my hands. I'm from argentina, and although outside temps reach the +38°C, my AC keeps my department at 25°C, so it was not "room temp".
Downloaded and app to tell the temp.... 39°/40°.... Ok, not good.

Those forums, were talking about a "hot phone"... AT 31°-35°C... AND MINE IS RUNNING AT 40°?!?!?!? I'm more than worried...

Searching... searching... And i found maaaaybe has to be the core of my problem: Kernel. I mean, that's the thing controlling cpu voltages, screen brightness, vibration and all the things inside these magic boxes, right?

I'm using PARANOID ANDROID 3.99 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2339403) and followed the instructions to install it but even it says "CM kernel as default" i'm not sure if i needed to install that kernel apart.

So, the questions:
1) 40°... That's hot for an optimus g, RIGHT?????
2) The Led/flash/torch/flashlight burning like laser.... Not normal... Rite?
3) I should wipe all and re-install the rom (paranoid? ) AND a kernel? If i have to, what kernel? (more to the field of battery optimization, than overclocking cpu). Maybe try this rom? Epsilon Project v03 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2437562
4) Also, for no reasons, some games cant be played, i install them, try to open and after a initial screen or two, it closes, with the message of the obvious (The app did not respond and closed). Plants vs Zombies 2, Avengers Alliance, Dragon Slayer, among others..... Weird, right?

Some screens:
System

CPU data

Stand by / Idle (wifi on, screen brightness at minimun)

After 4 min of playing Demon Hunter 4.... =_= (wifi on, screen brightness at minimun)
Hola amigo, desde argentina con e987 tambien, 40°C para la bateria es caliente, mas no dañina, el cpu generalmente no baja de 40°C, y el control termal limita las frecuencias y el brillo de pantalla a 70°C. Lo de los juegos puede deberse a la rom, mi led tambien calienta bastante despues de usarlo un rato, si te quedan dudas te recomendaria qe vuelvas a stock y verifiques los valores que te preocupan.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi dude, here from argentinian e987 too, 40°c for battery temp it's hot but it won't hurt, CPU is generally al 40°c when idle, thermald limits freqs and screen brightness at 70°C. The games related problems may be an issue on your rom, my led also gets hot after a while, if you have any doubts i recommend to go back to stock and check the values that worries you
The Following User Says Thank You to seniga1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dimitriedu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Gracias por la ayuda, me quedo un poco más tranquilo entonces... Probablemente juegue un poco más con otros ROMS, aunque igual me extraña la temperatura que levanta este celular.

En cuanto al led como linterna, calienta mucho en cuestión de segundos, así que trato usarlo muy poco como linterna...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the help, i'l remain a bit quiet then... Probably i will play a little more with other ROMS, even im still surprises me the temp this cellphone gets.

Regarding the led/flashlight, it gets really hotter in a matter of seconds, so i try to use it very little has flashlight....

sunyakram
Old
(Last edited by sunyakram; 18th December 2013 at 04:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 71
Ans No1, no worry
Ans No2, same at all, uncheck high brightness of led if you turned it on,
Ans No3,do any thing what you want, use pacman rom if haven't tried before,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-18-21-21-06.png
Views:	32
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	2461853  
give me one thanks coz you have 8
best battery saver greenifyroot

kimitza
Old
Thanks Meter 575

DONATE TO ME
1. Temp is normal for heavy usage.
2. If used for a long time,yes,it's hot. Some apps allow you to set the light intensity.
3.stock roms will alwaus be better than any cusyom cm/aosp.
4. Read answer 3.
You shouldn't had this thread opened here. Why? Because you mentioned a CUSTOM ROM. There is a disclaimer in every rom thread mentioning something could go wrong. It's like buying a car,messing it with tunings then complain the car is not working correctly. All aosp roms are experimental,no matter how are they tagged(alpha,beta,rc,stable,final). You should use stock rom if you want a proper working device. If you like to experiment,do it,assume the risks,but don't complain. You should ask these questions on PA thread.

Sent from my EchoEd GT-I9505/smart phones,dumb people.

Smart phones, dumb people!!!
Freaking Annoying Questions (aka FAQ)- LG Optimus G(Intl)
MOD STOCK ROM WITH XPOSED FRAMEWORK
I don't offer support via PM. At least,not for free. Time=money.

Dimitriedu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks Kimitza, i'l appreciate your help, your are very active, and even you are not the nicest guy around, you bring help anyway. Nevertheless:

Quote:
You shouldn't had this thread opened here. Why? Because you mentioned a CUSTOM ROM.
Quote:
You should ask these questions on PA thread.
Has a new member, I could not post on the PA thread. New members only can post on the Q&A forum, that's why this post in this forum.

Quote:
There is a disclaimer in every rom thread mentioning something could go wrong.
I mentioned before, i know this things a little (i mean, i don't this for a hobby nor work), coming from a tinkered Defy+ (i see a lot of guys that show how many phones they have worked with, how many have died in their hands, revived, etc, i'm not that kind of guy). So i'm aware that things can go wrong.

Quote:
All aosp roms are experimental,no matter how are they tagged(alpha,beta,rc,stable,final). You should use stock rom if you want a proper working device
And i was almost to return to the stock rom. But after that, or changing to another rom, kernel and any of that, i went crazy with this idea: i ask for help to any who wanted to give it. Weird, uh?

Again, thanks for the help. The stern lecture was a little unnecessary

kimitza
Old
Thanks Meter 575

DONATE TO ME
. The first thing you must know is every phone reacts and behaves differently. Something working for me without any problems,might not work for you the same way. Heck, even with stock there are differences.What do you think about experimental?.I tried all custom roms(chad's cm,official cm, pa, pac-man, liquid,carbon, asylum-one of the best ever,thinking bridge ). First days,they all were ok. Up to a point,all were fast,smooth,no lag.But after a while, the issues began.Not to mention all the goodies from LG weren't there. Don't get me wrong, i'm a flashcoholic,but i realised stock is better than any custom.
And now,since we have xposed framework,i don't need to use custom roms. Remove bloat, mod&theme with xposed and i have the best software possible,with all functions. I respect the devs,i support their work,but in the end,they use limited resources.

Dimitriedu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimitza View Post
. The first thing you must know is every phone reacts and behaves differently. Something working for me without any problems,might not work for you the same way. Heck, even with stock there are differences.What do you think about experimental?.I tried all custom roms(chad's cm,official cm, pa, pac-man, liquid,carbon, asylum-one of the best ever,thinking bridge ). First days,they all were ok. Up to a point,all were fast,smooth,no lag.But after a while, the issues began.Not to mention all the goodies from LG weren't there. Don't get me wrong, i'm a flashcoholic,but i realised stock is better than any custom.
And now,since we have xposed framework,i don't need to use custom roms. Remove bloat, mod&theme with xposed and i have the best software possible,with all functions. I respect the devs,i support their work,but in the end,they use limited resources.
Yeah, i was reading a little about xposed framework, how to use it, how it works. But, there's something i have learned in many years working with computers and other technomagical machines: there's not such thing has "little reading" without plenty headaches

So i'm goin to swim deep in those manuals, faqs and all i can read about xposed & the optimus g, slow summer over here (and hot has hell).

PS: You deal with a lot of "special users",so i understand you

kimitza
Old
Thanks Meter 575

DONATE TO ME
There is not much to read about xposed itself. It's a neat tool that allows you to install some modules in order to modify apps without decompile,modify,recompile and sign them. Some modifications can be made even on-the-fly,without reboot. I explained what i was using on my G on that small tutorial from my signature. All you need is a rooted and unlocked G. And to be sure, make a backup before.