5,600,841 Members 41,602 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wireless Charging W/ Lifeproof case ..help needed

Tip us?
 
Currupt247
Old
(Last edited by Currupt247; 19th December 2013 at 10:22 PM.)
#1  
Currupt247's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St Louis, MO
Battery Full Wireless Charging W/ Lifeproof case ..help needed

Hello everyone I wanted to share my experience with a wireless charging pad and a lifeproof case. I purchased the Nuud lifeproof case a while back and ended up having to replace it due to the charging door that snaps closed started breaking. I figured a way to prevent me from opening that little snap door is to go with wireless charging.

I purchased the wireless charging reciever card and the oem charging pad off amazon. Much to my disappoint me the case was too thick for the wireless charge to continually work. It recognizes that its on the pad but would act as if I were plugging and unplugging a power cord every 2 seconds. So I tried to come up with ways to reduce the surface area between my card and the charger pad. I removed the stickers which ended up not being enough but then came up with the idea to remove the top cover of the oem charging pad. Removing this plastic seems like it was just enough to get it to work correctly. The only problem I see now is the phone is actually sitting on top of the coil which brings up some heat issues.

I'm thinking of sewing together some fabric to act as a cover. What do you guys think about this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131219_121910.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	2463864  
 
stein5830
Old
#2  
stein5830's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 23
Join Date: Aug 2010
BUMP - I have a very thick ballistics case. I am wondering if a solution like this would work for me as well.
 
Currupt247
Old
#3  
Currupt247's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein5830 View Post
BUMP - I have a very thick ballistics case. I am wondering if a solution like this would work for me as well.
I doubt my case is as thick as yours stein but it is working correctly once I removed the plastic cover on the charger pad. Not sure if you have all the items yet but you can find them on amazon for probably around 60 bucks.
 
quarky42
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 240
Join Date: Sep 2008
Wireless Charging is working fine for me with my Otterbox Defender case and an Incipio Ghost 100 Wireless Charging Base. I'm using a cheap China QI antenna receiver that I got on eBay.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Currupt247 View Post
Hello everyone I wanted to share my experience with a wireless charging pad and a lifeproof case. I purchased the Nuud lifeproof case a while back and ended up having to replace it due to the charging door that snaps closed started breaking. I figured a way to prevent me from opening that little snap door is to go with wireless charging.

I purchased the wireless charging reciever card and the oem charging pad off amazon. Much to my disappoint me the case was too thick for the wireless charge to continually work. It recognizes that its on the pad but would act as if I were plugging and unplugging a power cord every 2 seconds. So I tried to come up with ways to reduce the surface area between my card and the charger pad. I removed the stickers which ended up not being enough but then came up with the idea to remove the top cover of the oem charging pad. Removing this plastic seems like it was just enough to get it to work correctly. The only problem I see now is the phone is actually sitting on top of the coil which brings up some heat issues.

I'm thinking of sewing together some fabric to act as a cover. What do you guys think about this?
The Following User Says Thank You to quarky42 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
gadget!
Old
#5  
gadget!'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 863
Posts: 1,110
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boise, Idaho
Try moving the phone slightly on the charging pad.
I don't have the factory pad but on both of my qui charging pads the phone needs to be placed slightly above center. If I put it directly on the center I experienced the same symptoms you are describing.

Sent from a Galaxy S4... Far far away
If my post was helpful, please hit the thanks button!

gadget!

The Following User Says Thank You to gadget! For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Currupt247
Old
#6  
Currupt247's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget! View Post
Try moving the phone slightly on the charging pad.
I don't have the factory pad but on both of my qui charging pads the phone needs to be placed slightly above center. If I put it directly on the center I experienced the same symptoms you are describing.

Sent from a Galaxy S4... Far far away
im thinking this oem charging pad is the prob I'm going to order the ghost and see if I get better results.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

TasGear: A Tasker Extension for the Samsung Galaxy Gear

With wearable technology taking center stage this year, one can only expect more … more

Intelligently Place Contacts on Your Home Screen with CallWho Widget

There are plenty of ways to get your contacts to show up on your … more

Control TWRP from within Android with TWRP Coordinator

You may recall that back when TWRP2 introduced a couple of years ago, it brought with … more

Keep Track of Everything Your Device Does with Event Logger

Regardless of their OS choice, computing power users generally share one common … more