[Q] Remove Preference in smali

Tip us?

Wooaarr
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Question [Q] Remove Preference in smali

Hello there,

i want to achive a simple thing. Removing an entry in the "SpareParts" app.

This is the xml
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<PreferenceScreen
  xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android">
    <PreferenceCategory android:title="@string/device_info_title">
        <PreferenceScreen android:title="@string/title_battery_history" android:key="battery_history_settings" android:summary="@string/summary_battery_history">
            <intent android:targetPackage="com.android.settings" android:action="android.intent.action.MAIN" android:targetClass="com.android.settings.battery_history.BatteryHistory" />
        </PreferenceScreen>
        <PreferenceScreen android:title="@string/title_battery_information" android:key="battery_information_settings" android:summary="@string/summary_battery_information">
            <intent android:targetPackage="com.android.settings" android:action="android.intent.action.MAIN" android:targetClass="com.android.settings.BatteryInfo" />
        </PreferenceScreen>
        <PreferenceScreen android:title="@string/title_usage_statistics" android:key="usage_statistics_settings" android:summary="@string/summary_usage_statistics">
            <intent android:targetPackage="com.android.settings" android:action="android.intent.action.MAIN" android:targetClass="com.android.settings.UsageStats" />
        </PreferenceScreen>
    </PreferenceCategory>
    <PreferenceCategory android:title="@string/general_title">
        <ListPreference android:entries="@array/entries_animations" android:title="@string/title_window_animations" android:key="window_animations" android:summary="@string/summary_window_animations" android:dialogTitle="@string/dialog_title_window_animations" android:entryValues="@array/entryvalues_animations" />
        <ListPreference android:entries="@array/entries_animations" android:title="@string/title_transition_animations" android:key="transition_animations" android:summary="@string/summary_transition_animations" android:dialogTitle="@string/dialog_title_transition_animations" android:entryValues="@array/entryvalues_animations" />
        <CheckBoxPreference android:title="@string/title_fancy_ime_animations" android:key="fancy_ime_animations" android:summaryOn="@string/summary_on_fancy_ime_animations" android:summaryOff="@string/summary_off_fancy_ime_animations" />
        <ListPreference android:entries="@array/entries_font_size" android:title="@string/title_font_size" android:key="font_size" android:summary="@string/summary_font_size" android:dialogTitle="@string/dialog_title_font_size" android:entryValues="@array/entryvalues_font_size" />
        <CheckBoxPreference android:title="@string/title_haptic_feedback" android:key="haptic_feedback" android:summaryOn="@string/summary_on_haptic_feedback" android:summaryOff="@string/summary_off_haptic_feedback" />
        <CheckBoxPreference android:title="@string/compatibility_mode_title" android:key="compatibility_mode" android:summaryOn="@string/compatibility_mode_summary_on" android:summaryOff="@string/compatibility_mode_summary_off" />
    </PreferenceCategory>
    <PreferenceCategory android:enabled="false" android:title="@string/disabled">
        <ListPreference android:entries="@array/entries_end_button" android:title="@string/title_end_button" android:key="end_button" android:summary="@string/summary_end_button" android:dialogTitle="@string/dialog_title_end_button" android:entryValues="@array/entryvalues_end_button" />
    </PreferenceCategory>
</PreferenceScreen>
The preference i want to remove is in bold. Now just deleting it, obviously will cause the app to fc. I have to remove the preference in the smali code.
Unfortunatly i have no idea, where and how exactly implement the right code to remove the preference.

An example on how to remove a preference would be (Just an example, thats not what i want to remove):
Code:
invoke-virtual {p0}, Lcom/android/settings/WirelessSettings;->getPreferenceScreen()Landroid/preference/PreferenceScreen;
move-result-object v12
const-string v13, "toggle_wifi"
invoke-virtual {p0, v13}, Lcom/android/settings/WirelessSettings;->findPreference(Ljava/lang/CharSequence;)Landroid/preference/Preference;
move-result-object v13
invoke-virtual {v12, v13}, Landroid/preference/PreferenceScreen;->removePreference(Landroid/preference/Preference;)Z
If anyone could help me out on where to implement the appropiate code i would be glad to learn about this.

I attached the smali code.

Thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: txt Spare.txt - [Click for QR Code] (29.0 KB, 8 views)

arpitkh96
Old
Thanks Meter 336
This is a system app right? So it's sources might be present. That could save you from smali
Edit-And upto what I remember. Removing a preference from settings.apk mainsetting.xml didn't make it fc
Sent from my GT-S7392 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Wooaarr
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpitkh96 View Post
This is a system app right? So it's sources might be present. That could save you from smali
Edit-And upto what I remember. Removing a preference from settings.apk mainsetting.xml didn't make it fc
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunatly just removing it from the *.xml will cause a fc. I think the system trys to call the preference and as it won't be defined, causing a "Javalang nullPointer exception".

The app is of course available as a source, which would make it very easy to remove the preference in java.
Code:
preferenceScreen.removePreference((ListPreference) findPreference("*********"));
Then again i don't have the appropriate tools at hand and not unlimited bandwidth to download them.

Hence my question if somebody knows how to do it in smali.

Take care