XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.3 and Big Brother Knox..

Tip us?

Johnnysauur
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Angry [Q] 4.3 and Big Brother Knox..

Okay, well I'm really starting to dislike this crap.

I replaced the board in my girlfriend s3, and it had 4.3 OTA on it -.-.

Now to my understanding, the OTA update comes with knox in the bootloader.This keeps anyone from flashing custom roms/recoveries.
I've followed all the guides and such. I dont care about 4.3. I just want knox completely removed, and revert it back to 4.1.2. I know that there is bootloaders floating around out there, that should overwrite the knox bootloader, and then flash a stock 4.1.2 rom. Now in theory that should work, but my googling skills have gone down the drain. I can't find any bootloader files, There has to be a way around this, its been over a month now. I honestly don't ever want to upgrade to 4.3. I'm happy with jellybean. It's stable, and smooth.

Just want to pick all your guys' brains xD.

joeyhdownsouth
Old
(Last edited by joeyhdownsouth; 19th December 2013 at 04:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysauur View Post

Now to my understanding, the OTA update comes with knox in the bootloader.This keeps anyone from flashing custom roms/recoveries.
I've followed all the guides and such. I dont care about 4.3. I just want knox completely removed, and revert it back to 4.1.2. I know that there is bootloaders floating around out there, that should overwrite the knox bootloader, and then flash a stock 4.1.2 rom. Now in theory that should work, but my googling skills have gone down the drain. I can't find any bootloader files, There has to be a way around this, its been over a month now. I honestly don't ever want to upgrade to 4.3. I'm happy with jellybean. It's stable, and smooth.

You should read THIS. It explains everything. You can't overwrite KNOX or downgrade boot loader or you will brick, but you can still root and have custom recovery, then flash a ROM of your choice. Downgrading includes flashing TAR files in ODIN and downgrading mk3 to md4 or lower via zip files.

sent from my GS3
LG G2(Sprint)-stock for now
Motorola Moto G(unlocked)-ROM/KERNEL:Pac-Man AIO-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Samsung Galaxy S3(Sprint)-ROM/KERNEL:AOSB-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Samsung Note 10.1-ROM/KERNEL:Hyperdrive-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Samsung Galaxy S3(Boost)-ROM/KERNEL:AOSB-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced

Johnnysauur
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Is there anything different you need to do for custom recovery on 4.3

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

joeyhdownsouth
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Is there anything different you need to do for custom recovery on 4.3

I believe anything after md4 won't mount storage. Check THIS thread. I flashed the TWRP Tar in ODIN on a Boost GS3 that wouldn't mount storage.

sent from my GS3
LG G2(Sprint)-stock for now
Motorola Moto G(unlocked)-ROM/KERNEL:Pac-Man AIO-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Samsung Galaxy S3(Sprint)-ROM/KERNEL:AOSB-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Samsung Note 10.1-ROM/KERNEL:Hyperdrive-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Samsung Galaxy S3(Boost)-ROM/KERNEL:AOSB-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced

Johnnysauur
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhdownsouth View Post
You should read THIS. It explains everything. You can't overwrite KNOX or downgrade boot loader or you will brick, but you can still root and have custom recovery, then flash a ROM of your choice. Downgrading includes flashing TAR files in ODIN and downgrading mk3 to md4 or lower via zip files.

sent from my GS3
I thought you couldn't root if 4.3 was applied with ota

andyistic
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:

At this time, the only way to get Knox out of the bootloader is to write over it with an unknoxed bootloader that's signed by Samsung, and passes the version check by the current bootloader.
Knoxed bootloaders will reject previous bootloader versions, even if those are properly signed.

However, loading a current version bootloader (properly signed) without knox to replace the knoxed one should then allow you to revert back to a previous version.
The only way this wouldn't work is if the knoxed bootloader killed a q-fuse somewhere, but no one has found proof to this.
Sprint Galaxy S3 using Android 4.3 (Knoxless Bootloader)

FallenZen
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyistic View Post
At this time, the only way to get Knox out of the bootloader is to write over it with an unknoxed bootloader that's signed by Samsung, and passes the version check by the current bootloader.
Knoxed bootloaders will reject previous bootloader versions, even if those are properly signed.

However, loading a current version bootloader (properly signed) without knox to replace the knoxed one should then allow you to revert back to a previous version.
The only way this wouldn't work is if the knoxed bootloader killed a q-fuse somewhere, but no one has found proof to this.
Correction: nobody has positively verified the existence of an eFuse, to my knowledge, just yet. But there is a substantial amount of evidence to suggest its existence. If you try to revert from KNOX to a previous bootloader version, it has a pretty consistent knack for hard-bricking the devices so they won't even power to the download or recovery consoles. From what I've read, people have had similar experiences when attempting to run older versions of TriangleAway to zero out their flash counts. Additionally, every attempt that has been made to revert the KNOX Warranty Void flag that I've read about has resulted in a hard-brick as well.

It's also important to note: At this time, when people say they've removed KNOX what they're really talking about are the apps that came in the 4.3 update. Removing these does not have any impact on the bootloader's status. There is currently no way to remove the KNOX bootloader without irrevocably crippling your device.
Sprint's Samsung Galaxy S3
Flashed to VZW prepaid unlimited
Android 4.3 (MK3), complete with KNOX set to 0x1 thanks to the OTA update it came with.

Use this link to sign up for Copy's Cloud Storage and we both get an extra 5gb (that means you start out with 20GB!)
https://copy.com/?r=FgSGI0

The Following User Says Thank You to FallenZen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]