XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Chromecast loses WiFi after use

Tip us?

mkvindal
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Chromecast loses WiFi after use

I hope the forum can help. I have read FAQ and some 5 pages of topics without finding anything.

My Chromecast keeps losing its connection to my WiFi when CC is not in use. Standard routine goes like this:
  1. When deciding to use the CC, I always find that it is not connected to my WiFi, even though the Chromecast is always AC connected.
  2. I try rebooting the CC (by unplugging the power and plugging it in again)
  3. Observing that the CC does not pick up the WiFi, I reset the WiFi router
  4. When that does not cut it, I repeat step 2, and then I am on.

Sometimes I even need to repeat 2-4 to succeed.

After using the CC, some time later (minutes? hours?), the process needs to be redone.

But once connected and casting, the connection is flawless!

By coincidence, my ISP sent me a new router whilst I was troubleshooting these problems, but even switching hardware has not helped.

My current router is a MediaAccess TG788vn v2, but as indicated, I suspect it is not the problem.
It is set to the recommended 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n by default, and since it works on-and-off, I suspect it is not a channel issue either?

Thanks for any inputs.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkvindal View Post
I hope the forum can help. I have read FAQ and some 5 pages of topics without finding anything.

My Chromecast keeps losing its connection to my WiFi when CC is not in use. Standard routine goes like this:
  1. When deciding to use the CC, I always find that it is not connected to my WiFi, even though the Chromecast is always AC connected.
  2. I try rebooting the CC (by unplugging the power and plugging it in again)
  3. Observing that the CC does not pick up the WiFi, I reset the WiFi router
  4. When that does not cut it, I repeat step 2, and then I am on.

Sometimes I even need to repeat 2-4 to succeed.

After using the CC, some time later (minutes? hours?), the process needs to be redone.

But once connected and casting, the connection is flawless!

By coincidence, my ISP sent me a new router whilst I was troubleshooting these problems, but even switching hardware has not helped.

My current router is a MediaAccess TG788vn v2, but as indicated, I suspect it is not the problem.
It is set to the recommended 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n by default, and since it works on-and-off, I suspect it is not a channel issue either?

Thanks for any inputs.
Oh, a Thomson router... :P (I used to work with some of those folks).

Sometimes one of my CC's drops off for a bit (I can tell by the blinking white LED) then reconnects shortly afterward.
I've never had it disconnect while in use though.

Are you using the HDMI extender? If not, try that.

Also check your TV for any CEC (aka Simplink, AnyNet+, Bravia Link) settings to shut off the device when the TV is turned off. I don't think it shouldn't affect Chromecast, but still good to check.

If your router has any power-saving functions, try disabling those too - maybe it's dropping the transmit power when idle enough that CC loses it. I couldn't find the manual in a quick search.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

mkvindal
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Oh, a Thomson router... :P (I used to work with some of those folks).

Sometimes one of my CC's drops off for a bit (I can tell by the blinking white LED) then reconnects shortly afterward.
I've never had it disconnect while in use though.

Are you using the HDMI extender? If not, try that.

Also check your TV for any CEC (aka Simplink, AnyNet+, Bravia Link) settings to shut off the device when the TV is turned off. I don't think it shouldn't affect Chromecast, but still good to check.

If your router has any power-saving functions, try disabling those too - maybe it's dropping the transmit power when idle enough that CC loses it. I couldn't find the manual in a quick search.
Thanks for quick inputs!

Tried the HDMI extender to no avail.

My TV is a 2009 Panasonic TH-42PX80. It appears that it has some CEC features, but I have a hard time finding the exact setting in the menu. Turned off a few "auto off" things though, without any benefits.

I hadn't the time to tweak any router power-saving features yesterday, will look in to it today.

I sure hope someone has seen and solved this one before, despite not seeing it in FAQs ...

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 207
Also check your router setting for DHCP and see if your Client Lease time is set too low.

DHCP should not expire more than once a day. 1440 Minutes (once a day) is usually default on most routers but sometimes it gets set to much less and it could be that it's losing connection after casting because the DHCP expired but couldn't renew while it was casting so once streaming is done it renews and reconnects.

Longshot though of that being your actual problem...

mkvindal
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Resolved.. I think! A friend with another CC strongly recommended experimenting with the channels. I downloaded inSSIDer app and found a better channel.

Tonight I had several flawless connections.

I think Google's official troubleshooting on this could be more precise. Here's to hoping it is picked up or other users at least stumbles on this thread.

Thanks for all inputs.

maamdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I had the same issue, ended up RMAing it...Thing just wouldn't stay connected. New one never has the issue...