5,606,297 Members 32,898 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

TWRP 2.6.3.4 - Move backups off device bad idea?

Tip us?

newuzer1
Old
(Last edited by newuzer1; 19th December 2013 at 06:25 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default TWRP 2.6.3.4 - Move backups off device bad idea?

I've got 2.6.3.4 on my VS980 and am thinking about moving my stock nandroid off the device to save space. My concern is a corrupted ROM/system (I'm assuming that's possible) and then not being able to move the nandroid back to the device via OTG through recovery/TWRP. Looking through previous 2.6.3.2/2.6.3.3 threads, it seems like OTG can be finicky in recovery/TWRP. Am I possibly setting myself up fro a headache if I start adding mods and need to restore with no backup on the device itself?
Thanks!

xxxrichievxxx
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by newuzer1 View Post
I've got 2.6.3.4 on my VS980 and am thinking about moving my stock nandroid off the device to save space. My concern is a corrupted ROM/system (I'm assuming that's possible) and then not being able to move the nandroid back to the device via OTG through recovery/TWRP. Looking through previous 2.6.3.2/2.6.3.3 threads, it seems like OTG can be finicky in recovery/TWRP. Am I possibly setting myself up fro a headache if I start adding mods and need to restore with no backup on the device itself?
Thanks!
This has happened to me any times, I made a backup and moved it to my laptop but when something happens because i've messed with something that resulted in bootloops/recoveryloops or FC, then I start to regret moving my backup to the laptop.

If you plan on doing that at least keep a ROMon the phone or sideload a ROM in case of an emergency.

Or you can always ADB push the TWRP backup files and see if that works back to the TWRP backup folder

newuzer1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrichievxxx View Post
If you plan on doing that at least keep a ROMon the phone or sideload a ROM in case of an emergency.

Or you can always ADB push the TWRP backup files and see if that works back to the TWRP backup folder
Good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrichievxxx View Post
Gonna have to figure ADB out first, but suspected some sort of ADB push would be a last resort.

xxxrichievxxx
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by newuzer1 View Post
Good idea.

Gonna have to figure ADB out first, but suspected some sort of ADB push would be a last resort.
It's not all that hard :P

Once you have installed ADB drivers you just use the commands:

adb push C:\[where the files are on your computer I usually put them in the C:\ folder] /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/

then you reboot the recovery and then you can restore the backup.

When you adb push a directory it'll push the all contents of the folder.

lingarajug
Old
Thanks Meter 35
I have the official twrp 2.6.3.3 and i have several times restored my backup from pc through otg.

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda app-developers app

jmileti
Old
Thanks Meter 230
Twrp 2.6.3.4 and usb otg. I have completely wiped phone internal sdcard included and start fresh by installing pa and gapps from usb otg. No extra crap on sdcard now.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app