5,594,282 Members 43,637 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Updated to 4.3. Is it too late to root?

Tip us?

computerslayer
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee1000 View Post
I did an OTA of 4.3 on my Note 2 already and was able to root using Kingo, no problems.
Ditto here. Though trying to flash a recovery (say, through Goo Manager) trips the Knox counter....and fails to boot ('unauthorized software' message)

akellar
Old
Thanks Meter 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerslayer View Post
Ditto here. Though trying to flash a recovery (say, through Goo Manager) trips the Knox counter....and fails to boot ('unauthorized software' message)
Yup. Bootloader is locked. That's why there's a sticky saying not to take OTA's.
Please note, I do not do ROM support via PM. If you have a question, ask in the device thread. Thanks.

computerslayer
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by akellar View Post
Yup. Bootloader is locked. That's why there's a sticky saying not to take OTA's.
Sometimes one's role in life is to serve as a warning to others. Guess its my turn.
The Following User Says Thank You to computerslayer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mlin
Old
Thanks Meter 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnuts View Post
Unless someone has found a root method for one of the other Samsung 4.3 builds, you better go out to your nearest wholesale store and buy the jumbo size of Vaseline.
Aren't both the S4 and N3 4.3 builds rooted? Maybe you're thinking bootloader unlocking???
2.5 New Members: Treat new members the way you would have liked to have been treated when you were a new member.
Provide the new members with guidance, advice and instruction always with respect and courtesy.

Device: Galaxy Note 3
ROM: Incognito_v1.1.1

rdeluis
Old
Thanks Meter 27
After OTA my n2 lost root.
I can also confirm, that Kingo roots the N2 after taking the Verizon OTA, but the bootloader remains locked. For me acquiring root again was great, because I use the Xposed framework a lot and many other apps that need root. As for the bootloader, I'm sure that sooner or later, one of the great devs will kick butt and get it unlocked. For those guys that challenge is like an itch.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

akellar
Old
Thanks Meter 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeluis View Post
After OTA my n2 lost root.
I can also confirm, that Kingo roots the N2 after taking the Verizon OTA, but the bootloader remains locked. For me acquiring root again was great, because I use the Xposed framework a lot and many other apps that need root. As for the bootloader, I'm sure that sooner or later, one of the great devs will kick butt and get it unlocked. For those guys that challenge is like an itch.

Wouldn't bet on it. S4 and Note 3 are both locked and will likely remain that way. Never say never but the likelihood is slim.
Please note, I do not do ROM support via PM. If you have a question, ask in the device thread. Thanks.

rdeluis
Old
Thanks Meter 27
You're right and honestly as long as I have, root I don't care much anymore. If it happens great, if it doesn't ok. Sooner or later we will upgrade to a new toy. Lol