5,598,908 Members 30,739 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone else refusing the official 4.3 update?

Tip us?

shortydoggg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 188
Default Anyone else refusing the official 4.3 update?

I'm just curious if anyone else here besides me is still on the ATT 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 only because they are still skeptical about updating or just refuse to accept it, and the reasons why. I feel like I'm the bad guy around here because I refuse to rush and play with the latest toy (Ooops, I mean the 4.3 update).

I'm even reading some of the members, and even some devs here wondering why some people are refusing to update, because you can do just about anything on the new bootloader that you can do on the old ones.

Well, I always thought that us rooters who are non-developers are not suppose to accept OTA updates from our carriers, and should only be flashing the Roms from our developers (good devs by the way). OTAs tend to fix previous issues and attempt to make the phones more secure, but at the same time, create new issues and further lock down the phones.
Look at all the posts around here right now that are just filled with 4.3 issues. One of the most common for example: (I'm having issues, have soft bricked, or just don't like the update?) Is there a way to flash back to complete 4.3 stock so that I can start over? No! And without any official firmware released from AT&T, if something goes wrong with your phone, then all you have to flash is a custom ROM, which I was taught that we should be doing any way, while avoiding the OTAs.

I just want to see here if there is anyone else thinking the same way and why, or is this just going to turn into people who OTA-ed becoming defensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dntesinfrno
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortydoggg View Post
I'm just curious if anyone else here besides me is still on the ATT 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 only because they are still skeptical about updating or just refuse to accept it, and the reasons why. I feel like I'm the bad guy around here because I refuse to rush and play with the latest toy (Ooops, I mean the 4.3 update).

I'm even reading some of the members, and even some devs here wondering why some people are refusing to update, because you can do just about anything on the new bootloader that you can do on the old ones.

Well, I always thought that us rooters who are non-developers are not suppose to accept OTA updates from our carriers, and should only be flashing the Roms from our developers (good devs by the way). OTAs tend to fix previous issues and attempt to make the phones more secure, but at the same time, create new issues and further lock down the phones.
Look at all the posts around here right now that are just filled with 4.3 issues. One of the most common for example: (I'm having issues, have soft bricked, or just don't like the update?) Is there a way to flash back to complete 4.3 stock so that I can start over? No! And without any official firmware released from AT&T, if something goes wrong with your phone, then all you have to flash is a custom ROM, which I was taught that we should be doing any way, while avoiding the OTAs.

I just want to see here if there is anyone else thinking the same way and why, or is this just going to turn into people who OTA-ed becoming defensive.

For starters i can't imagine why anyone who is rooted and running a custom ROM would ever dream of installing an official OTA. By the time the carrier's have had time to update their own ROM and distribute the update it will have long been incorporated into most custom ROM's. Point and case is 4.3 (which i have been running thanks to Task650 for many months)...boom all of a sudden you are stuck with a bootloader that you cannot change, or how about the case of the S4's who blindly or unknowing installed an OTA that gives them a locked bootloader that cant be downgraded (in the case of those of us with carriers who are evil bastards). The only case where i would personally find it 'acceptable' to install official OTA's is someone who has no interest in rooting or installing any custom software to their device. Yes the current S3 bootloader is rootable but one day, probably the next (if there is one) update i would imagine it will be locked down like the new devices. Its sad to say but the direction Google seems to be moving all Android devices may end up this way which will be a dark day indeed.
SGS3 i747 sporting Task650 AOKP(Jellybean 4.3) backed by KT747 kernel
If I have helped you a THANKS is appreciated but not expected, and if a problem was solved a [SOLVED] tag in your post title helps better the community
Samsung Moment>Samsung Galaxy S Captivate>Samsung Galaxy SII i777>Samsung Galaxy SIII i747
The Following User Says Thank You to dntesinfrno For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jack man
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by dntesinfrno View Post
....Its sad to say but the direction Google seems to be moving all Android devices may end up this way which will be a dark day indeed.
I don't think it's Google locking the devices down. It's the manufacturers: Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc... that are incorporating the locked bootloaders. I may be wrong, but that's the way it seems.
Jack Man

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 i747
Current Rom: Stock 4.3

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 i777
Current ROM: ShoStock3 Jelly Bean by Shoman94

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S i897
Current ROM: Stock GB (given to my Dad)
-----------------------
Barnes and Noble Nook HD+ (Stock; all of my flashing is done on my phones.)
The Following User Says Thank You to jack man For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dntesinfrno
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack man View Post
I don't think it's Google locking the devices down. It's the manufacturers: Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc... that are incorporating the locked bootloaders. I may be wrong, but that's the way it seems.
Yes currently its the manufacturers, at the behest of the carriers...hence why att and verizon are locked on the s4 and up samsung devices but not sprint or tmo. I was simply stating that if things continue to go the way they seem to be with googles decisions moving forward with android it could end up that way.
SGS3 i747 sporting Task650 AOKP(Jellybean 4.3) backed by KT747 kernel
If I have helped you a THANKS is appreciated but not expected, and if a problem was solved a [SOLVED] tag in your post title helps better the community
Samsung Moment>Samsung Galaxy S Captivate>Samsung Galaxy SII i777>Samsung Galaxy SIII i747

rumrnr62
Old
Thanks Meter 2
They can lock em down but you know some talented dev will find a way in

shortydoggg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrnr62 View Post
They can lock em down but you know some talented dev will find a way in

True, but that can take months, and until then, you're stuck.

rumrnr62
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Can always buy a dev version or a nexus

ibuddler
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I'll wait until the dev 4.3 rom stable then flash. Not much difference IMO.

shortydoggg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuddler View Post
I'll wait until the dev 4.3 rom stable then flash. Not much difference IMO.
Same here.

I wonder if for some reason another toy (Ooops, update) comes to this phone, will the rooters who OTA-ed, and then re-rooted or flashed another ROM (and tripped their new warranty bit counters in the process) be able to receive the new update, or will it be blocked because of the counter increment, and once again, will have to rely on custom ROMs, which they should already be doing?

pc103
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:

...Anything, except flashing back to stock for reflashing purposes or for warranty service or resetting the Knox warranty bit. OTA may also damage resale value, among other downsides.

Quote:

I just want to see here if there is anyone else thinking the same way and why, or is this just going to turn into people who OTA-ed becoming defensive..
There are diverse camps among the rooters & other members here. Through my GS1, GS2 & GS3 I've used mostly debloated stock TW roms; for work, on the road constantly & needing a maximum stable daily driver; like other stock TW enthusiasts.

Apart from user (flashing) errors, the stability, the flexibility & connectivity complaints you cited are what I measured against when deciding to flash a 4.3 rom, kernel & modem from |ROM|Bootloader|Kernel|Modem| AT&T Official 4.3 MJB |24 Nov 2013| .

What designgears, upndwn4par, loserskater & the others have posted on multiple threads I read & reread here before flashing allowed me to attempt the 4.3 upgrade with a solid backout plan & maximum control, reaching my desired result:

Stable, debloated (by me, it's personal) permission edited (using App Ops) battery optimized 4.3 using the same bootloader as on 4.1.2.

The resources exposed in that one thread I linked, plus miles of reading in prep here on XDA showed me how to have the upgrade my way, so even stock a enthusiast can get a first class passage thanks to our devs. Buy them a drink when you can!