5,595,428 Members 48,337 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MK2 Clarification

Tip us?
 
itszcharlie
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 237
Join Date: Jul 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Default MK2 Clarification

Okay, so I've been lurking these threads and I'd like to see if someone could clarify a few things. I come from the S3 which was a lot more simpler than the s4.

I recently bought a Galaxy S4 AT&T 32GB with MK2 ota installed. My understanding is that you cannot go back. I am fine with that, touchwiz is actually just fine and dandy on 4.3 (at least for me it is.) I do however, have a few questions in regards to the rooting process.

Rooting:
1. From what I understand, MK2 has a few privacy-concerned root methods. Once I root, I can proceed to the next question, correct?

Installing Roms:
2. After you root, from what I understand, you install a side strap program that creates partitions on your internal SDcard to install roms (side by side?) However, there is no currently stable SS for MK2. When a stable version of SS does come out, I can use it to install roms (particularly Virgin GPE sounds enticing to me, i love pure stock without much extra features) even with the boot loader being locked?

3. SS also voids the warranty, is that correct?

4. I am hearing knox is sort of like the new flash counter for S4, except it doesn't really count, it just voids your warranty, is that correct?

Thanks in advance to the community, you guys are doing an awesome job.
Black Galaxy S IV AT&T 32GB CURRENT!
1st Gen iPad Mini 16GB w/ MobileData
 
DyslexicTurtle
Old
#2  
DyslexicTurtle's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 31
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Dallas,Texas
Default Dont try to flash a rom or recovery with mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by itszcharlie View Post
Okay, so I've been lurking these threads and I'd like to see if someone could clarify a few things. I come from the S3 which was a lot more simpler than the s4.

I recently bought a Galaxy S4 AT&T 32GB with MK2 ota installed. My understanding is that you cannot go back. I am fine with that, touchwiz is actually just fine and dandy on 4.3 (at least for me it is.) I do however, have a few questions in regards to the rooting process.

Rooting:
1. From what I understand, MK2 has a few privacy-concerned root methods. Once I root, I can proceed to the next question, correct?

Installing Roms:
2. After you root, from what I understand, you install a side strap program that creates partitions on your internal SDcard to install roms (side by side?) However, there is no currently stable SS for MK2. When a stable version of SS does come out, I can use it to install roms (particularly Virgin GPE sounds enticing to me, i love pure stock without much extra features) even with the boot loader being locked?

3. SS also voids the warranty, is that correct?

4. I am hearing knox is sort of like the new flash counter for S4, except it doesn't really count, it just voids your warranty, is that correct?

Thanks in advance to the community, you guys are doing an awesome job.
from mf3 to mk2 you cannont flash roms.................but with hashcodes fix you only can flash 4.2.2 roms with a thing called safestrap look around and check out his blog he hasnt posted anything about an mk2 fix but he's working on it......btw im on mf3 and using safestrap and running a 4.2.2 google edition rom
http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/ <- blog
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1391900 <- safestrap recovery (not compatible with MK2 yet)
sorry bro you cant flash roms yet he's working on a fix
hope i helped
 
itszcharlie
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 237
Join Date: Jul 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyslexicTurtle View Post
from mf3 to mk2 you cannont flash roms.................but with hashcodes fix you only can flash 4.2.2 roms with a thing called safestrap look around and check out his blog he hasnt posted anything about an mk2 fix but he's working on it......btw im on mf3 and using safestrap and running a 4.2.2 google edition rom
http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/ <- blog
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1391900 <- safestrap recovery (not compatible with MK2 yet)
sorry bro you cant flash roms yet he's working on a fix
hope i helped
okay so if I understand this correctly, once his 4.3 fix for mk2 is out, I am able to install GPE 4.3? Are there any downsides to this? I'm hearing you have to use the touchwiz kernel because of some kind of overwrite protection. is that the case here?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
Black Galaxy S IV AT&T 32GB CURRENT!
1st Gen iPad Mini 16GB w/ MobileData
 
DyslexicTurtle
Old
#4  
DyslexicTurtle's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 31
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Dallas,Texas
No at this point when he updates it to mk2....what I understand is that only 4.2.2 Roms are compatible with safestrap as of now

Sent from my SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
 
DeadlySin9
Old
#5  
DeadlySin9's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 376
Posts: 794
Join Date: Sep 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyslexicTurtle View Post
No at this point when he updates it to mk2....what I understand is that only 4.2.2 Roms are compatible with safestrap as of now

Sent from my SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
No, it's only ROM's that work with the stock kernel. Since our stock kernel is now 4.3, we can only use 4.3 ROMs.

There is a safe rooting method and you can find the thread in the general section. Hashcode is working on Safestrap for MK2, and is close as he made it for the Verizon S4 already. When the stable version comes out you can use 4.3 Touchwiz roms and GPE since it runs on a stock S4 kernel. Technically rooting voids the warranty by itself, but people just flash their phones back to stock in order to circumvent this. KNOX is a set of security tools for businesses and such, and for us it does add a counter to the bootloader that voids warranty.
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)
 
Whizzpopper
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 235
Posts: 359
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by itszcharlie View Post
Rooting:
1. From what I understand, MK2 has a few privacy-concerned root methods. Once I root, I can proceed to the next question, correct?
No. There is a safe and easy method.
Here is the method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565758
It's for the Verizon version of our phone, but it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itszcharlie View Post
Installing Roms:
2. After you root, from what I understand, you install a side strap program that creates partitions on your internal SDcard to install roms (side by side?) However, there is no currently stable SS for MK2. When a stable version of SS does come out, I can use it to install roms (particularly Virgin GPE sounds enticing to me, i love pure stock without much extra features) even with the boot loader being locked?
There is no safestrap for MK2 (which is Android 4.3) yet. I'm not familiar with the Rom you're talking about. If you look around a bit, there's a post that details the roms available for MF3. I'd imagine that list will be similar for MK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by itszcharlie View Post
3. SS also voids the warranty, is that correct?
Don't know. Wouldn't worry about it. If you need your warranty, go back to stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itszcharlie View Post
4. I am hearing knox is sort of like the new flash counter for S4, except it doesn't really count, it just voids your warranty, is that correct?
Knox is actually part of Samsung's Enterprise security system. They developed Knox and all this other iPhoney lock-down crap as part of a push to win government & corporate contracts. My understanding is that the Knox counter voids the Knox warranty, not the warranty on the phone. You should locate the warranty and read it for yourself.
 
itszcharlie
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 237
Join Date: Jul 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
thanks for the thorough explanation. this clears a lot of things up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
Black Galaxy S IV AT&T 32GB CURRENT!
1st Gen iPad Mini 16GB w/ MobileData

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...