Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Verizon update rolling out now: Build VS98012B

OP predictablyerratic

21st December 2013, 05:55 AM   |  #51  
Thanks Meter: 9

67 posts
I decided to start from square 1 and see how things went. Performed the verizon return to stock (the one with the tot file). Then I took the 2 OTA updates. I downloaded ioroot13 and tried to root, but it said I didn't have a supported version. I opened up the .bat file and found the verizon section and added a new line to direct performing the vzwotaroot for 12B (if %OTAVER%==VS98012B GOTO VZWOTARoot). I crossed my fingers and ran it. It worked. I performed a root check and it passed. The phone said "ROOTED". I was able to modify system files. Haven't had much time to play around to make sure everything works fine, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

The one thing I am still working on is the custom recovery. The loki flash method does not seem to work. When I go to flash it tells me something like "Loki aboot version does not match device." I tried using flashify to flash the recovery but it seemed to prevent my device from booting so I did the whole thing over again. Might try flashify again but use the flash zip method instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to doublej713 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st December 2013, 06:07 AM   |  #52  
Thanks Meter: 91

274 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej713

I decided to start from square 1 and see how things went. Performed the verizon return to stock (the one with the tot file). Then I took the 2 OTA updates. I downloaded ioroot13 and tried to root, but it said I didn't have a supported version. I opened up the .bat file and found the verizon section and added a new line to direct performing the vzwotaroot for 12B (if %OTAVER%==VS98012B GOTO VZWOTARoot). I crossed my fingers and ran it. It worked. I performed a root check and it passed. The phone said "ROOTED". I was able to modify system files. Haven't had much time to play around to make sure everything works fine, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

The one thing I am still working on is the custom recovery. The loki flash method does not seem to work. When I go to flash it tells me something like "Loki aboot version does not match device." I tried using flashify to flash the recovery but it seemed to prevent my device from booting so I did the whole thing over again. Might try flashify again but use the flash zip method instead.

Be careful, I have an S3 and the latest ota is bricking phones if you try to unlock bootloader. Not sure if it's a Samsung or a Verizon thing, or a combination of both. I have had my eye on the G2 though... Looks nice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
21st December 2013, 06:09 AM   |  #53  
Thanks Meter: 389

1,404 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej713

nice! let us know how the zip flash worked out.
21st December 2013, 06:33 AM   |  #54  
Thanks Meter: 9

67 posts
Thumbs down
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipock97

Be careful, I have an S3 and the latest ota is bricking phones if you try to unlock bootloader. Not sure if it's a Samsung or a Verizon thing, or a combination of both. I have had my eye on the G2 though... Looks nice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks for the warning. I have a very superficial understanding of all this stuff, but as it stands for the G2 right now I'm pretty sure that the bootloader is only being bypassed and not technically unlocked. I could be all messed up though.

As for the recovery attempts... I tried the 2nd option of the TWRP thread (just pushing the recovery) and that didn't work. Tried the flashify zip method and that needs there to be a working recovery (duh) and I gave the CWM recovery a shot, all with no success.

Guess we'll just have to wait a few hours until someone gets something figured out. All I have really been using the recovery for is to flash the LGBrowser and Split view (both things I really like though).
21st December 2013, 07:41 AM   |  #55  
Thanks Meter: 7

30 posts
Replacing the modified provision for the stock one did the trick. I re-installed the modified provision after the OTA and all is well again. Thanks for that suggestion, I had my suspicions. I never installed superuser and was able to keep root, FYI.
The Following User Says Thank You to fhblake04 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st December 2013, 08:32 AM   |  #56  
Thanks Meter: 389

1,404 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhblake04

Replacing the modified provision for the stock one did the trick. I re-installed the modified provision after the OTA and all is well again. Thanks for that suggestion, I had my suspicions. I never installed superuser and was able to keep root, FYI.

So were you able to get a custom recovery loaded? If so, can you be a little more specific as to what you did? maybe a step by step?
Last edited by simon_lefisch; 21st December 2013 at 08:57 AM.
21st December 2013, 08:36 AM   |  #57  
Flag Iowa
Thanks Meter: 46

217 posts
More
Downloaded the update tonight. Noticed a few more things not mentioned in the change log:

-New Biz theme (pretty sure there was just the two themes before: Basic and Marshmallow)

-File Manager is now a QSlide app

-Black is now an option as the home button background

-Text Link guide in the messaging app

-New analog clock widgets (don't recall seeing these before anyways)

-Camera app quick settings seem like they are a little different

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387610587258.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	2466291   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387610970678.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	2466300   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387611000157.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	2466302   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387611025512.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	2466303   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387611101943.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	2466305  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jordache16 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st December 2013, 08:42 AM   |  #58  
Flag Iowa
Thanks Meter: 46

217 posts
More
Here is what the messaging QSlide app looks like and some screenshots of the camera app.

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387611622850.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	2466315   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387611636087.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	2466316   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387611645030.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2466317  
The Following User Says Thank You to jordache16 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st December 2013, 02:39 PM   |  #59  
Flag Motor City
Thanks Meter: 157

427 posts
More
Has anyone who does not have a custom recovery n stalled but is rooted w items such as greenify and xposed running tried installing the OTA? Saw a guy on the AC forums who claims it did not break root. Especially the reported improved voice quality and speaker sound appealing.
Last edited by dplane; 21st December 2013 at 03:01 PM.
21st December 2013, 04:14 PM   |  #60  
Thanks Meter: 7

45 posts
So far in the few hours I've had the update installed, the screen knock on has not failed even once (needing to tap 3 or more times). Maybe a coincidence, but I don't recall it ever being this reliable before.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread