XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"Ultra Slim" Aluminum Case Review

Tip us?

NokkCha
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default "Ultra Slim" Aluminum Case Review

New owner of a Note 3 but long-time lurker of XDA!
Noticed not too many users using aluminum/metal cases so I figured I'd give them a whirl~

I decided to review this specific case because it's literally everywhere on ebay and seems to be the most popular aluminum case for the Note 3 currently.

1) What I received in the mail
Packaging was incredibly simple.
Here is what I received(This may vary depending on where and whom you buy yours from),

-Aluminum case enclosed in bubblewrap
-Keychain/Mini screwdriver(one side is flat head while the other is a philips screwdriver head)
-Mini bag with spare screws(Not pictured)

2) The Weight.
Weighed my Note 3 first to find it weighing at a paltry 6.05 oz.

After applying the aluminum casing, I found the weight to increase roughly 22%(From 6.05 oz to 7.35 oz)

Being that this is my first case for the Note 3, I'm unsure if the increase in weight is typical for most cases or abnormal.

3) Build Quality.
The casing actually feels very sturdy and tough in the hand despite it's thinness. This case is a SCREW-ON case.

There are rubberized strips inside the bumper to absorb any impact and the back panel actually replaces the stock back panel of the Note 3 to truly reduce bulk size.

But for some strange reason, after installing the case, I felt almost afraid of ever dropping my phone. Although the aluminum is thick and sturdy, I just didn't feel entirely safe holding it in my hand.

The buttons feel great! I actually prefer pushing the casing's buttons rather than the stock buttons.

All the cutouts are very accurate and easily accessible EXCEPT for the headphone jack.

You will NOT be able to use any 3.5mm right-angled cables with this case on!
This wasn't a dealbreaker for me because I never use my phone as my mp3 player.

As expected from anything made out of brushed aluminum, there is no grip to this case. If you are a butterfinger, stay far away from this case.

WARNING: the cutout near the S-Pen is just a tad bit sharp so please be careful when handling!

4) Aesthetics.
I must admit, I've gotten quite a bit of compliments after putting on this case!

It looks quite luxurious but the only downside is the obnoxious Engrish on the back of the casing. The logo almost looks like XXX or something and the description underneath is incredibly redundant(Seriously, it literally says "mobile phone metal frame cover mobile phone set Note 3").

The buttons remind me too much of the iPhone(especially the round volume controls). They look obnoxious on my Note 3 but atleast they work :/

For those who dislike reading long blocks of text,

Pros
-Looks luxurious and expensive
-Wifi is NOT affected by the aluminum casing (Download/Upload speeds were the same with and without the case)
-Buttons feel very good
-Cutouts are very accurate
-Phone does not move around in case due to the screws
-Pretty damn slim for a aluminum case. Does not add much bulk at all
-The added weight is not too large. This may not be a Pro for some.
-Compatible with most if not all screen protectors(I am using an iloome Screenmate Flex Tempered Glass Protector)

Cons
-Weird Engrish writing on the back(There are also blank versions of this case available on the internet!)
-3.5mm right-angled cables do NOT work on this case
-God damn slippery
-Feels somewhat unsafe to drop despite the robustness of the casing. This may not feel the same for other users.
-Gets cold when left untouched
-Sharp corners around S-Pen
-Screws are incredibly small and ridiculously easy to lose if not careful

More pictures!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NokkCha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blaine07
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Biggest complaint I've seen on this type of case is drastic decrease in signal.

Do you have anything to report in regards to signal?

Sent from my SM-N900V

2manycells
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I have this case in grey/silver and I did indeed notice some signal degradation in areas with weak signal. For this reason, I had to switch to a diztronic case. Otherwise this is a beautiful case - though makes the phone look a little thicker from the side view.

NokkCha
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine07 View Post
Biggest complaint I've seen on this type of case is drastic decrease in signal.

Do you have anything to report in regards to signal?

Sent from my SM-N900V
That's odd.. I have yet to notice any decrease in signal with this case on. Perhaps this may vary depending on the user's location.

mikemq2003
Old
Thanks Meter 206
Most if not all aluminum cases cause signal drop. Sometimes it can be drastic and sometimes it can be very minimum. Every case I've owned that's metal is like that. Doesn't matter if it's cheap or expensive.

Hit THANKS if I helped in any way