5,599,190 Members 35,264 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Getting back into Andriod Rooting, wanting to use a ROM

Tip us?

warclowd
Old
(Last edited by warclowd; 21st December 2013 at 12:26 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Getting back into Andriod Rooting, wanting to use a ROM

Hello XDA! I'm wanting to get back into using a rootted phone. In fact, I already have rooted my note 3.

I really want to get into a custom ROM, to remove some bloatware, and to be able to theme the system fully.

I previously had a samsung galaxy fascinate (telus) that I had rooted, and I had tried to get a custom ROM on it. Turns out though that I may had messed up! My phone was soft bricked. So I got a dongle made up for me, re-flashed froyo and got rollin again, However I was afraid to try to flash a custom rom. I used it for a year and a half on stock after that, and then decided to try to flash it again. I again had messed up the process, (I think Odin hates my PC). I ended up with a boot looped phone.

Now that I have my note 3, I'm loving it. However I don't want to have to deal with TouchWiz.

My question to you, xda. Is, what is currently involved in getting into a custom ROM on the note 3?
Is there a guide to getting started with this kind of stuff. My phone is rooted, but I have no custom recovery (I'm not sure how to do that).

I'm tempted to just wait for cyanogenmod for the note 3 as it seems to be very popular (and probably would have better support documentations). However If there is a reasonably simple alternative I can get a new rom soon.

Thanks a lot for reading this wall of text, and apologies if this gets asked frequently. I'm just terrified of losing my precious new phone

I'm using a SM-N900W8 from sasktel

jaythenut
Old
Thanks Meter 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by warclowd View Post
Hello XDA! I'm wanting to get back into using a rootted phone. In fact, I already have rooted my note 3.

I really want to get into a custom ROM, to remove some bloatware, and to be able to theme the system fully.

I previously had a samsung galaxy fascinate (telus) that I had rooted, and I had tried to get a custom ROM on it. Turns out though that I may had messed up! My phone was soft bricked. So I got a dongle made up for me, re-flashed froyo and got rollin again, However I was afraid to try to flash a custom rom. I used it for a year and a half on stock after that, and then decided to try to flash it again. I again had messed up the process, (I think Odin hates my PC). I ended up with a boot looped phone.

Now that I have my note 3, I'm loving it. However I don't want to have to deal with TouchWiz.

My question to you, xda. Is, what is currently involved in getting into a custom ROM on the note 3?
Is there a guide to getting started with this kind of stuff. My phone is rooted, but I have no custom recovery (I'm not sure how to do that).

I'm tempted to just wait for cyanogenmod for the note 3 as it seems to be very popular (and probably would have better support documentations). However If there is a reasonably simple alternative I can get a new rom soon.

Thanks a lot for reading this wall of text, and apologies if this gets asked frequently. I'm just terrified of losing my precious new phone

I'm using a SM-N900W8 from sasktel
here is a list of custom recoverys download your one for your phone and flash with odin http://galaxynote3root.com/clockworkmodtwrp-recoveries/
if i helped hit the Thanks Button

Ry2mkk
Old
Thanks Meter 54
It's all quite a simple process really , just make sure you follow any guide precisely.

Is there another PC you are able to use if you think the culprit is your own PC ?

I'd also recommend the Note - X- Rom very nice Themes, Battery, Performance boost.

all the best with your flashing Remember to always Backup your EFS and do a Nandriod backup before anything !
Samsung Galaxy S2 8GB
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 32GB (n9005 )
RIP KNOX 0x0 & 4.3 BL ----> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2472301 <---- This is why I Love KitKat