Java fundamentals for Android development

Search This thread

Danzan

Dec 18, 2013
Wien
Hello everyone!

I'm engineer of IT with background in C#, PHP and Java. My wish is to learn to develop Android applications. My question is, how much of Java do I need to know before I start learning Android? ATM I have passed basics in Java, primitive/reference types, collections, loops, casting, wrapping/unwrapping, exceptions, polymorphism, inheritance, (everything about OOP). Now I stopped at Swing GUI. Should I avoid it? Do I need listeners/events in Android apps? Threads? Can someone write me down what do I need to complete my Java knowledge before I start my Android journey? I would appreciate that!

(How much I :D)

Thanks and BR,

M.

coolbud012

Sep 28, 2012
Bangalore
droidacid.com
Hello everyone!

I'm engineer of IT with background in C#, PHP and Java. My wish is to learn to develop Android applications. My question is, how much of Java do I need to know before I start learning Android? ATM I have passed basics in Java, primitive/reference types, collections, loops, casting, wrapping/unwrapping, exceptions, polymorphism, inheritance, (everything about OOP). Now I stopped at Swing GUI. Should I avoid it? Do I need listeners/events in Android apps? Threads? Can someone write me down what do I need to complete my Java knowledge before I start my Android journey? I would appreciate that!

Thanks and BR,

M.

Yups you need everything that comes into Core Java except Swing and AWT.
Rest yes listeners/events and Threads are important topics to cover for Java.

You can Google the terms like " Java for android" you will get your answers....rest you can use any topic of java into Android...core or advanced it depends on your level of understanding and implementation...

Thanks

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de
Hello everyone!

Thanks and BR,

M.

I recommend to read a tutorial on the basics of threads. It's not needed for basic apps though. You will also need anonymous classes. Writing to and reading from files might be useful if you need to store some data.
About everything else I would say: Start with Android and if you don't understand some Java things you find, read some tutorials about how they work. You should have the basic knowledge to start with Android now. You can always improve your Java later when you need it - if you need it.
Have fun. ;)

Danzan

Dec 18, 2013
Wien
Thanks for the replies guys. I will pass Swing to see how it works (because of listeners and events), also threads and IO. I see ppl use SQLite for local db, so ill check that too later. One more thing, is there any Android framework? I see there's Spring for Android, but dunno should I use it or not.

BR :cowboy:

PicomatStudios

Sep 11, 2012
Hello everyone!

Thanks and BR,

M.

One thing you don't tend to worry about normally with Java is memory usage. On Android, you do (you're running in a memory constrained environment). I'd do a little bit of reading on Garbage Collection and then a bit on Android's JVM (specifically it's worth understanding that its GC is non-compacting).

Danzan

Dec 18, 2013
Wien
One thing you don't tend to worry about normally with Java is memory usage. On Android, you do (you're running in a memory constrained environment). I'd do a little bit of reading on Garbage Collection and then a bit on Android's JVM (specifically it's worth understanding that its GC is non-compacting).

Well, I understand how Garbage Collector works with Java, but as I can see, its not same with Android. Thanks for the advice.
How about battery life?

jhun24

Sep 30, 2013
books for java beginners

Anyone can suggest a book for java, i am a beginner in java but i know some of other language. Suggest a book that can teach me easily and faster, and deeply understand OOP language

coolbud012

Sep 28, 2012
Bangalore
droidacid.com
Rest 1 more suggestion, if you are good with Android and OOPS then just jump into android and you can always post your issues in this forum and SO, we would be more than happy to help you.

Thanks

Danzan

Dec 18, 2013
Wien
Rest 1 more suggestion, if you are good with Android and OOPS then just jump into android and you can always post your issues in this forum and SO, we would be more than happy to help you.

Thanks

With that good with Android you mean good in using Android OS? And with OOPS did you mean OOP? I'm not pretty clear with that...

Thanks for response

coolbud012

Sep 28, 2012
Bangalore
droidacid.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone can suggest a book for java, i am a beginner in java but i know some of other language. Suggest a book that can teach me easily and faster, and deeply understand OOP language

Check out Head First Java, 2nd Edition.
    I'm finishing it, very well explained Java and Object oriented programming as well.