XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Suggest an android tablet for mom's xmas gift

Tip us?

hypertek
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Default Suggest an android tablet for mom's xmas gift

Alright guys. Looking to get my mom a tablet so she can stop using my laptop lol. General use is ebay, facebook, youtube etc.

I think something from 8.9 to 10 inches would be ideal, as she can prop it on the table and look at it. as opposed to a 7 inch tablet.

I was looking at the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 for its HD picture, and overall seems like a good general use tablet, but i know the lack of sd card support and needing to be rooted to get google play store kinda put me off.

I dont really want to stick her with an ipad, don't want her tied to sticking with itunes.

but i know since it is not for me, i shouldn't bother tweaking and modding it than worrying about auto-updates etc lol.

Got to be able to find a stylish case for it that offers a lil protection.

I am open for suggestions. I want it to be around $400 . My step dad and I will be going half on it (I dont make that much money but I will put down $200) .

I guess even a Nook HD+ looks decent, but the hardware specs seem a bit dated now.

michaelkenward
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertek View Post
Alright guys. Looking to get my mom a tablet so she can stop using my laptop lol. General use is ebay, facebook, youtube etc.
I bought the 9.7-inch Sumivision Cyclone Voyager II. Not far off your price bracket in the UK.

Cyclone Voyager 2

From a quick glance, not a Nexus, but not far off it.

Fuzzypumper
Old
(Last edited by Fuzzypumper; 21st December 2013 at 04:08 AM.) Reason: Added clarification/extra info.
Thanks Meter 1
I heartily recommend the Hisense Sero 7 Pro, which you should be able to pick up at your local Walmart for $149. I won't get into the detailed specs here (Google is your friend ) but it's practically a clone of the Nexus 7 but with front and rear cameras and an external SD slot, all for about 70 bucks less than the Nexus. In a similar situation as yours I bought it for my Mum's birthday and it was a great decision -- it's a great little tab! And there are threads here on xda for rooting and a few ROMs that are being developed.

Good luck with your Xmas shopping!

[Edit: I reread and see you're looking for something bigger than a 7-inch tablet -- I still think this one's a great deal though; you might want to consider it anyway. And you can get a nice i-Unik case for it on Amazon.]

hypertek
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzypumper View Post
I heartily recommend the Hisense Sero 7 Pro, which you should be able to pick up at your local Walmart for $149. I won't get into the detailed specs here (Google is your friend ) but it's practically a clone of the Nexus 7 but with front and rear cameras and an external SD slot, all for about 70 bucks less than the Nexus. In a similar situation as yours I bought it for my Mum's birthday and it was a great decision -- it's a great little tab! And there are threads here on xda for rooting and a few ROMs that are being developed.

Good luck with your Xmas shopping!

[Edit: I reread and see you're looking for something bigger than a 7-inch tablet -- I still think this one's a great deal though; you might want to consider it anyway. And you can get a nice i-Unik case for it on Amazon.]
That Sero 7 does look pretty interesting, i may have to get that for myself after the holidays lol.

I may go with the galaxy tab 3 or note 10.1 depending on how much my step dad is gonna pitch in on the gift. Maybe a bit overkill but should get a few years out of it imo.

d3xp2pc
Old
Thanks Meter 221

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertek View Post
I know you're US based but maybe this article can give you some ideas.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-cent...blets-of-2013/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4