XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Latest nightlies break Gravity Box Quick Settings

Tip us?

fermasia
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3C076 View Post
Let me join this discussion to make things more clear.
I don't intend to write too many lines about GB's history, its main goal and policy but I'd like to mention one important thing.
GB is basically a non-flashing custom ROM which primary goal is to bring custom-rom like experience to closed-source platforms (like MediaTek) which currently don't have opportunity to have custom ROMs built from source.
Later while evolved, the secondary goal was established - to bring custom-rom like experience to devices running stock Android.

What I see happening around Xposed Framework recently is that people are basically often turn to using it to "patch" what they can't find in a custom ROM. However, Xposed modules (especially the complex ones) should not be used to supplement missing features in custom ROMs built from source. The best option for a user is to go ask devs of the custom ROM he uses and request those missing features. (This is also clearly mentioned in GB's official thread). People don't combine two ROMs in one device to get more features, neither (thanks god it's not possible!)
GB is not here to keep track of what's changing in all custom ROMs available out there. It is simply unmanageable. GB is here to extend the stock Android experience just like any other custom ROM does.

And words like "GB can't keep up pace with KitKat" sound funny. Actually, it keeps up with stock KitKat pretty well.
I understand these words come from people who have zero experience with GB, but anyway.
GB is currently fully compatible with the latest stock KitKat and is even bringing Dialer tweaks in upcoming version which none of custom ROMs have to this day (flip actions, call vibrations, etc.).
Sorry if my comment was offensive in any way. GB not keeping up with Omni is a fact, but by no means this can be spotted as GB fault. It's mission is different, and it's not meant to follow custom rom's developement.

The thing is many people here were pleading for Omni developement to stay compatible with GB as if we were talking about a feature when it's actually a mod.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Moto G - 100% Stock (for now...)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" [P3110]
Samsung Galaxy GT-I9300 (...no more, stolen!)
-Argentina-

The Following User Says Thank You to fermasia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 23400

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Let me join this discussion to make things more clear.
I don't intend to write too many lines about GB's history, its main goal and policy but I'd like to mention one important thing.
GB is basically a non-flashing custom ROM which primary goal is to bring custom-rom like experience to closed-source platforms (like MediaTek) which currently don't have opportunity to have custom ROMs built from source.
Later while evolved, the secondary goal was established - to bring custom-rom like experience to devices running stock Android.

What I see happening around Xposed Framework recently is that people are basically often turn to using it to "patch" what they can't find in a custom ROM. However, Xposed modules (especially the complex ones) should not be used to supplement missing features in custom ROMs built from source. The best option for a user is to go ask devs of the custom ROM he uses and request those missing features. (This is also clearly mentioned in GB's official thread). People don't combine two ROMs in one device to get more features, neither (thanks god it's not possible!)
GB is not here to keep track of what's changing in all custom ROMs available out there. It is simply unmanageable. GB is here to extend the stock Android experience just like any other custom ROM does.

And words like "GB can't keep up pace with KitKat" sound funny. Actually, it keeps up with stock KitKat pretty well.
I understand these words come from people who have zero experience with GB, but anyway.
GB is currently fully compatible with the latest stock KitKat and is even bringing Dialer tweaks in upcoming version which none of custom ROMs have to this day (flip actions, call vibrations, etc.).
Yup. Many of the GB features that aren't already in Omni are likely things I wouldn't mind seeing in Omni - but anyone can contribute to our code review system. I just am too busy with keeping on top of reviews and doing core work/device bringups. (actually, I'm honestly not keeping on top of reviews, I'm WAY behind... )
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

C3C076
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8082

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I forgot to mention that this thread and especially its name is far from being OK. It's the consequence of some users being simply too lazy to read at least the main post where it is clearly stated that GB module SHOULD NOT be used with custom ROMs. Many users then think that Omni broke GB which is definitely not correct and I'm sorry to see this happening. It's been explained plenty of times in GB thread about compatibility with Omni already. But it seems like there's still a lot of users that didn't pick it up.
Nexus 5 running stock KitKat + GravityBox
GravityBox app - Xposed module for devices running vanilla Android
Please, do not use personal messages when trying to solve your problems. Use forum - its power is often underestimated. If I can't help somebody else will certainly try to. Thanks.
If you like my work, consider buying me a coffee.
The Following User Says Thank You to C3C076 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

se1988
Old
Thanks Meter 674

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I forgot to mention that this thread and especially its name is far from being OK. It's the consequence of some users being simply too lazy to read at least the main post where it is clearly stated that GB module SHOULD NOT be used with custom ROMs. Many users then think that Omni broke GB which is definitely not correct and I'm sorry to see this happening. It's been explained plenty of times in GB thread about compatibility with Omni already. But it seems like there's still a lot of users that didn't pick it up.
Perhaps this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by se1988 View Post
Title for this thread should be "Latest nightlies doesnt work with a mod that is recommended not to be used with omniRom"

Sent from my phone using some app
LG G2 D802 - Flex 1.5
SAMSUNG GALAXY Note GT-N7000 - OmniROM KitKat 4.4 Nightlies
SAMSUNG GALAXY Note 10.1 GT-N8000 - Android Revolution HD 11.0

Bootloops on Samsung leaks?
MD5

┌───────────────────────────────────────────────── ┐
A press of the THANKS button is worth a thousand "Thank you" posts
└─────────┬─────────────────────────────────────── ┘

invalidcracker
Old
Thanks Meter 51
On asylum rom i think the reason is the NFC tile "immersive on/off" which gravity box can't reorder or disable