Latest nightlies break Gravity Box Quick Settings

Search This thread

fermasia

Mar 25, 2013
Buenos Aires
Let me join this discussion to make things more clear.
I don't intend to write too many lines about GB's history, its main goal and policy but I'd like to mention one important thing.
GB is basically a non-flashing custom ROM which primary goal is to bring custom-rom like experience to closed-source platforms (like MediaTek) which currently don't have opportunity to have custom ROMs built from source.
Later while evolved, the secondary goal was established - to bring custom-rom like experience to devices running stock Android.

What I see happening around Xposed Framework recently is that people are basically often turn to using it to "patch" what they can't find in a custom ROM. However, Xposed modules (especially the complex ones) should not be used to supplement missing features in custom ROMs built from source. The best option for a user is to go ask devs of the custom ROM he uses and request those missing features. (This is also clearly mentioned in GB's official thread). People don't combine two ROMs in one device to get more features, neither (thanks god it's not possible!)
GB is not here to keep track of what's changing in all custom ROMs available out there. It is simply unmanageable. GB is here to extend the stock Android experience just like any other custom ROM does.

And words like "GB can't keep up pace with KitKat" sound funny. Actually, it keeps up with stock KitKat pretty well.
I understand these words come from people who have zero experience with GB, but anyway.
GB is currently fully compatible with the latest stock KitKat and is even bringing Dialer tweaks in upcoming version which none of custom ROMs have to this day (flip actions, call vibrations, etc.).

Sorry if my comment was offensive in any way. GB not keeping up with Omni is a fact, but by no means this can be spotted as GB fault. It's mission is different, and it's not meant to follow custom rom's developement.

The thing is many people here were pleading for Omni developement to stay compatible with GB as if we were talking about a feature when it's actually a mod.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: C3C076

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I don't intend to write too many lines about GB's history, its main goal and policy but I'd like to mention one important thing.
GB is basically a non-flashing custom ROM which primary goal is to bring custom-rom like experience to closed-source platforms (like MediaTek) which currently don't have opportunity to have custom ROMs built from source.
Later while evolved, the secondary goal was established - to bring custom-rom like experience to devices running stock Android.

What I see happening around Xposed Framework recently is that people are basically often turn to using it to "patch" what they can't find in a custom ROM. However, Xposed modules (especially the complex ones) should not be used to supplement missing features in custom ROMs built from source. The best option for a user is to go ask devs of the custom ROM he uses and request those missing features. (This is also clearly mentioned in GB's official thread). People don't combine two ROMs in one device to get more features, neither (thanks god it's not possible!)
GB is not here to keep track of what's changing in all custom ROMs available out there. It is simply unmanageable. GB is here to extend the stock Android experience just like any other custom ROM does.

And words like "GB can't keep up pace with KitKat" sound funny. Actually, it keeps up with stock KitKat pretty well.
I understand these words come from people who have zero experience with GB, but anyway.
GB is currently fully compatible with the latest stock KitKat and is even bringing Dialer tweaks in upcoming version which none of custom ROMs have to this day (flip actions, call vibrations, etc.).
Yup. Many of the GB features that aren't already in Omni are likely things I wouldn't mind seeing in Omni - but anyone can contribute to our code review system. :) I just am too busy with keeping on top of reviews and doing core work/device bringups. (actually, I'm honestly not keeping on top of reviews, I'm WAY behind... :( )

C3C076

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I forgot to mention that this thread and especially its name is far from being OK. It's the consequence of some users being simply too lazy to read at least the main post where it is clearly stated that GB module SHOULD NOT be used with custom ROMs. Many users then think that Omni broke GB which is definitely not correct and I'm sorry to see this happening. It's been explained plenty of times in GB thread about compatibility with Omni already. But it seems like there's still a lot of users that didn't pick it up.

Reactions: AA1973

se1988

Nov 24, 2008
All Your Base
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I forgot to mention that this thread and especially its name is far from being OK. It's the consequence of some users being simply too lazy to read at least the main post where it is clearly stated that GB module SHOULD NOT be used with custom ROMs. Many users then think that Omni broke GB which is definitely not correct and I'm sorry to see this happening. It's been explained plenty of times in GB thread about compatibility with Omni already. But it seems like there's still a lot of users that didn't pick it up.
Perhaps this?
Title for this thread should be "Latest nightlies doesnt work with a mod that is recommended not to be used with omniRom"

Sent from my phone using some app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yup. Many of the GB features that aren't already in Omni are likely things I wouldn't mind seeing in Omni - but anyone can contribute to our code review system. :) I just am too busy with keeping on top of reviews and doing core work/device bringups. (actually, I'm honestly not keeping on top of reviews, I'm WAY behind... :( )
    I noticed that toggles, that mess up are "flippable" ones. I don't use that exclusive feature of omnirom, so it would be very nice if developers added checkmark in settings that would disable this feature.

p.s. Hoped that new 4.2.2 omni update will fix this problem, but it didn't.
    p.s. 2. If you want to use other features of GG, just don't touch quick toggle settings, or they will mess up after reboot
    GB/XPosed also say explicitly not to use them with custom ROMs, or at your own risk.
    GB/XPosed also say explicitly not to use them with custom ROMs, or at your own risk.

Yup. While I am a big fan of Xposed, and GravityBox is awesome on devices without custom firmwares, use of either of them is an unsupported configuration that is invalid for bug reports.