Search This thread

Powerhouse

Mar 31, 2013
3q3t.png

INTRO -
Hi all.I made this guide to help people to buy good device.As you all have experience of a worst device,a device which doesn't even run Decent app's or games and from now onwards lets atleast make sure that we buy a Good device
We usually GOOGLE about some good device's out there where we follow what actually the Website's say blindly,but i really don't prefer it.I dont prefer it 'cause the Reviewer usually thinks with a Normal User mentality.We should not only look out for better specs but also for Developer support.Here let's get independent and take the decision of buying phone's by ourself :) .

ABOUT ANDROID-

Android is a software bunch comprising not only operating system but also middleware and key applications.Android is still very much the ARM instruction set and all Android open source build's are geared towards ARM processors.Android is an ARM-centric OS.Android is a powerful Operating System supporting a large number of applications in Smart Phones. These applications make life more comfortable and advanced for the users. Hardwares that support Android are mainly based on ARM architecture platformApplications
These are the basics of Android applications:
• Android applications are composed of one or more application components (activities, services, content providers, and broadcast receivers)
• Each component performs a different role in the overall application behavior, and each one can be activated individually (even by other applications)
• The manifest file must declare all components in the application and should also declare all application requirements, such as the minimum version of Android required and any hardware configurations required
• Non-code application resources (images, strings, layout files, etc.) should include alternatives for different device configurations (such as different strings for different languages)

THE ARM Processor Family(ABOUT PROCESSOR'S)

ABOUT ARM :
ARM (Advance RISC machines) is a UK company that built's RISC processor's.ARM doesn't sell microphone's intead it linces it's technology to other companies along with the option to drop the Vanilla (non-modified) ARM core in their SoC (System On Chip).Many company's like Qualcom,nVidia create their own processor by using ARM design as Blue-print and yeah ARM has it's share in the profit .

ABOUT SoC (System On Chip) :
The system on Chip is single peice of chip which comprises of CPU,GPU,memory controller ..etc . SoC may either have ARM or x86 core technology.It is a unique chip which is a package that has Baseband,host of controller's that are need to process data.SoC is one single chip which is fabricated with the above stated functions.SOC's are efficient and reduce memory overhead.Top notch Company's's like Qualcom,nVidia,Apple built their SOC's using the blue-print processor design provided by ARM

fsvk.jpg

INSTRUCTION SET :
These are special functions that has a processor can perform several stuff such as Arithmetic instruction,floating point,bit manipulation..etc . ARM support's a variety of instruction's like x86..etc..They also support 64-bit which are high and powerful performance computing chips,whereas 32-bit chips are low-powered,Little performance deliverer .. ARM also support complex instuctions like SIMD instructions

THE ARM ARCHITECTURE :
The ARM Architecture is the base for all ARM related Core's. Usually a companies like Qualcomm,broadcom ,etc which would be creating custom cores will license the Architecture for tweaking it from ARM itself.Using the Architecture and fine-tuning it for special work such as Real Time processing or High complex level purpose they create a particular Family names like Cortex-A, Cortex-R...etc .

THE ARM CORE :
By varying the core clock speed,instruction set,,ARM Produces many cores for SOC builder's . Such is Cortex A7,A8,A9 core family.Cortex family in used in almost every Top Notch device out there.Its completely depends on the OEM/Vendor to opt for the core's that are needed for their Devic
e​

So,let's now move to the Basic point's one must keep in mind to buy an Android device ..​

1 . SCREEN SIZE :
This is the first thing that must Flash into our mind before buying an Android Device .Screen size is subjective and should be based on your taste.Still,smartphone,it's better to opt for a screen,that's bigger than 4" inches for a Device and more than 7" inches would do good for a Tablet.

rkt2.jpg

enpo.jpg

2 . RESOLUTION :
Look out for the device which has higher PPI (pixels per inch) value .. PPI more than 250 is considered good but higher the PPI the better the device would be .The best part is that these devices offer the ability to pinch to zoom or tap to zoom which aids in reading even with a lower-size display

3 . HARDWARE :
In terms of Android OS one needs better hardware to get a lacklustre view of browsing and the fact 'THE HIGHER THE BETTER" apply's here too ..Architecture and process nodes boost performance more than stuffing in more cores with enhancement's .. Phone's with Quad-core SOC'S will surely lead to batter draining .. Go for the device which is powered by cortex A9 , A7 technology paired with Quad core's or even dual core's
.​

3.1 . GPU : ]
Some of the best GPU'S out there are made by Qualcomm (adreno) ,ARM (mali) ..But make sure that you device doesn't have a BROADCOM powered GPU.. Broadcomm has a closed-source policy and they make the Best Buggy GPU'S out there .. Better opt fo Qualcomm powered GPU .Anyway Adreno and Mali based GPU occupy a large chunk over the system and leaving less for you .so make sure your device has 1GB Ram​
..​

4 . UPDATE'S OF ROM :
This is plagued by OEM'S or vendors.This is the main reson behind the stagnating with fragmentation's over verions .This is completely controlled by the device Vendor's .Though Samsung tops in place of providing update but that actually wont be that satisfactory...
Just make sure to check the developement status of the device which you decided to buy, here at XDA .Anyhow if you want a Future-proof device regarding the upgrades then better stick to Nexus Line Family device which are provided by the tech Gaint and Android owner "GOOGLE"​
..​

Hope this thread helped you .. :)

credits:

OSY team for providing Such Knowledge
@mathm2013 @Hitesh2626 @DamnTarget FOR FEEDBACK :)
GFX Bandits and my whatsapp friends ..
BroadComm for the knowledge they gave to never buy a BCM-powered device again

Last edited:

Powerhouse

Mar 31, 2013
image1.png

Google Nexus 5
Capture16-286x300.png

$349 (16 GB) or $399 (32 GB) unlocked, but don’t call it “cheap.” Also available starting at $410 on Swappa. With class leading specs and excellent software and developer support, the Nexus 5 is a force to be reckoned with.

You can’t even begin to think about creating a list of the best phones currently available—at any price—without at least mentioning the Google Nexus 5. The LG-sourced device packs some serious computing firepower, including the current best-in-class quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor running at 2.26 GHz. It also packs 2 GB of RAM, a 2300 mAh battery, and a gorgeous 5″ 1080p screen with pixels dense enough so that it doesn’t even matter anymore. The camera isn’t the best in the world, and neither is its speaker volume, but both of these issues have since been mitigated somewhat.

What makes this device special isn’t its admittedly great hardware. No, it’s the software. With a stock version of the latest and greatest Android and Google have to offer, as well as virtually limitless development potential, the Nexus 5 is a software tour-de-force.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes
Recovery? Yes.
Unlockable? fastboot oem unlock. Need I say more?
Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Yes.
Multiboot? YES!

LG G2
LG_G2_prss-380-80-300x168.jpg

$650 unlocked (or under $200 with carrier subsidy). Also available starting at $470 on Swappa.

Close cousin to the Nexus 5, the LG G2 shares many of its internals with the N5. Though the device features a larger screen and a markedly better camera, it also is weighed down by an OEM skin that only a mother could love. Despite that, the device still packs solid performance, and with a little aftermarket development love, it can truly shine.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes.
Recovery? Yes (guide).
Unlockable? Loki Patch.
Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Official AOKP, OmniROM, CyanogenMod, and Paranoid Android available.
Multiboot? No.

Sony Xperia Z1
z11-248x300.png

$609 unlocked. Also available starting at $450 on Swappa.

Sony’s flagship for late 2013 packs quite a punch in the specs department. The device features a super speedy processor, excellent camera, competent screen, and amazing developer friendliness from the OEM.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes.
Recovery? Yes.
Unlockable? Yes.
Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Official OmniROM and CyanogenMod available.
Multiboot? No.

Moto X
Moto-X-Black-Press-Image-002-Side-300x235.jpg

$529 unlocked (or $99 with carrier subsidy). Also available starting at $390 on Swappa. Motorola’s flagship isn’t so much a flagship as it is an everyman’s phone.

Rather than cramming as many MHz and GB as possible into as think a device as possible, Motorola chose a different path. They instead came up with a few incredibly innovative software additions and tailored the hardware to match. As such, the Moto X doesn’t directly compete with the Samsung Galaxies and the HTC Ones of the world, at least not in raw specs, but it doesn’t have to. It’s a great device that offers solid performance and a reasonably good screen. And the touchless controls aren’t just the icing on the cake; they are the cake.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? RockMyMoto.
Recovery? Yes.
Unlockable? RockMyMoto
Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Not at the moment. A few source-built ROMs including official PAC nightlies, but no official PA, Omni, or CM for the device.
Multiboot? No.

PHABLETS

Samsung Galaxy Note 3http://www.xda-developers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/samsung-galaxy-note-3-300x236.jpg

$645 unlocked (or under $300 with carrier subsidy). Also available starting at $550 on Swappa. When you need to do more, you can with various Samsung S Pen apps.

The Galaxy Note 3 continues to be the only very large phone that truly offers a “phablet” experience. Rather that simply making a very large phone, Samsung has made a device that is capable of doing fundamentally more than most phones. Now, you need to deal with TouchWiz in order to gain this functionality. But for many, the trade-off is well worth it.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes.
Recovery? Yes.
Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Yes, but depends on variant.
Multiboot? No.

Sony Xperia Z Ultra
Capture17-300x211.png

$520 unlocked. Also available starting at $430 on Swappa.

Although it lacks the S Pen functionality of Samsung’s Galaxy Note 3, the Xperia Z Ultra has one added trick up its sleeve: the recently launched Z Ultra Google Play edition. Due to their hardware similarities, it’s not unreasonable to assume that the GPe ROM will be ported over to the standard device, and that’s good news for Z Ultra owners everywhere!

OLDER FLAGSHIP DEVICES

HTC One
HTC-ProductDetail-Hero-slide-04-300x267.png

$540 unlocked. Also starting at $329 on Swappa.

HTC Started the year off strong with the HTC One. When we covered the launch back in March, we were quite impressed with the device’s stunning screen, speedy processor, tasteful skin, and beautiful build quality. While the phone is no longer one of the fastest devices available, it is still a powerful device for those looking for a sculpted work of art, rather than the bleeding edge in mobile tech.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes.
Recovery? Yes.
Unlockable? Yes.
Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Official OmniROM and CyanogenMod, depending on variant.
Multiboot? Yes!
Google Edition Conversion? Yes!

Samsung Galaxy S 4
samsung-galaxy-s-4-white-three-up-front-profile-back-300x213.jpg

$560 unlocked. Also starting at $380 on Swappa.

While it’s starting to fall behind in the specs war compared to newer devices, Samsung’s Galaxy S 4 still packs quite a bit of power, a fantastic screen, great battery life, a nice camera, and expandable storage. Furthermore, the device has a healthy development community with more mods, tweaks, ROMs, and kernels than you can shake a stick at.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes.
Recovery? Yes.
Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Varies depending on variant, but generally yes.

Oppo Find 5
Find-5-1-300x168.jpg

$500 unlocked. Also starting at $310 on Swappa.

The Oppo Find 5 is a great device with a fantastic camera and impeccable screen. Its Snapdragon S4 Pro is no longer the fastest SoC available, but it can still breeze through most tasks without any slowdown. Finally, Oppo’s developer-friendly attitude earns it a place among all the heavyweights.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes.
Recovery? Yes.
Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Official AOKP, Paranoid Android, and CyanogenMod.

On a Budget

Moto G
20131209T093823-245x300.jpg

$179 (8 GB) or $199 (16 GB) direct.

This one’s simple. If you’ve only got $200 or less, and you want an unlocked phone, get a Moto G. It’s a solid phone at an utterly fantastic price. Developer support isn’t quite there yet, but with such good price/performance, we can’t imagine it being too far.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes.
Recovery? Yes.
Unlockable? Through Motorola.
Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? better than galaxy ace-i's

CREDITS: xda holiday guide 2013

Last edited:

Giupy 99

Mar 15, 2013
Motta San Giuanni
Are you sure you don't want to credit also BroadCom for the knowledge they gave you and us? They teached us to never buy a BCM-powered device again (except for a Raspberry Pi maybe :fingercrossed: :rolleyes: )
Reserved, just in case ;)

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hitesh2626

mathm2013

Jan 1, 2013
Rio de Janeiro
But i believe Dev support is because Moto G just arrived, we haven't seen much of what it can do until now. I believe it and Moto X are the best by relation price/benefit.

Reactions: Giupy 99

Powerhouse

Mar 31, 2013
But i believe Dev support is because Moto G just arrived, we haven't seen much of what it can do until now. I believe it and Moto X are the best by relation price/benefit.

Believe me ,after Moto-G releases worldwide it might have Good developer support .. It might even have official support from CM,PAC,OmNI dev's ..
Motorola released the source code of Moto-x ,day before yesterday ..so in near future ,they might be releasing Moto-G source code along with device drivers ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Giupy 99

devloz

May 3, 2013
OnePlus 8T
I like this phone!

Hey!

I like cooperve. Fact that there are complications made me to think more about all android. Right now I'm not so stupid as many people in supper-device-support-forum who are asking for any stupid thing. Compiling your own kernel because You want more freqs and ext2 (not ext4), and trying to trick device (Samsung reported 384MB RAM, CONFIG_CMDLINE uses 362MB, we have 289MB. I've increased CMDLINE to 364MB and nearly bricked device, but OS reported me 291MB Ha! ["?CONFIG_?"CMDLINE_FORCE=y]). Creating your own ROM (ROM created by someone else but You must customize it before flash). But I understand. I've bought this device for fun (I'm doing only this with all electronical equipment [even fridge]) and You don't must like this device.

My next step wil be GTAB2 + XPERIAZ.

Powerhouse

Mar 31, 2013
Prestigio's phones are good with dual sim cards and big displays. :) Prestigio Website

Oh ! Great ! ..
Their are many many vendors which produce Good device at a reliable price but still the developer support will take us back ..

Their is a Local company in India called "MicroMax" this company actually became the whistle blower after releasing it's Canvas Device Family .. Even top companies like samsung,hTc faced tuff competition from this Canvas family device's ..But still this Great Company is called as "Re-Branded chinese device" (atleast refered as, by iamareebjamal) .. In similiar way every local company is called as "Chinese device" ,though it ain't ..

And great news guys ..tech Gaint Nokia is going to release its first Android device .. If they do,then samsung will be living in shadows of Nokia as it was some 4-6 years ago ..

burak144

And great news guys ..tech Gaint Nokia is going to release its first Android device .. If they do,then samsung will be living in shadows of Nokia as it was some 4-6 years ago ..

dont excite bro. i was heard that a while ago but now ive heard a new info about that nokia isnt gonna release an android device :( they will go with wp.

Galaxy Pop Plus'ımdan Tapatalk 2 ile gönderildi.

iamareebjamal

Aug 7, 2012
Batcave
www.facebook.com
Nokia Normandy was supposed to be the first Nokia Android device. It was code name for a device on which they were testing Android. But I don't know what is going to happen that changes the mind of a company which refused Android on the first hand, specially, after it's under Microsoft's control

Powerhouse

Mar 31, 2013
Nokia Normandy was supposed to be the first Nokia Android device. It was code name for a device on which they were testing Android. But I don't know what is going to happen that changes the mind of a company which refused Android on the first hand, specially, after it's under Microsoft's control

Anyway Nokia took Wrong choice .They wanted to bring something out-of-box by taking Windows as their primary OS ... Unfortunately they hit the wrong store . :eek:

Though Microsoft's Metro UI and lumia family is good , they lost in options of Customization and in the Availability of Apps . ..

Anyway Jolla is Quite Awesome.. (must check it out ! )

Giupy 99

Mar 15, 2013
Motta San Giuanni
For those who absolutely want an Android Lumia, there's a phone called "Nokia N9" which has an OS (MeeGO, the base of Jolla Sailfish) that is based on Linux. Some devs ported ICS and JB on it, take a look on YouTube

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    3q3t.png

INTRO -
    Hi all.I made this guide to help people to buy good device.As you all have experience of a worst device,a device which doesn't even run Decent app's or games and from now onwards lets atleast make sure that we buy a Good device
    We usually GOOGLE about some good device's out there where we follow what actually the Website's say blindly,but i really don't prefer it.I dont prefer it 'cause the Reviewer usually thinks with a Normal User mentality.We should not only look out for better specs but also for Developer support.Here let's get independent and take the decision of buying phone's by ourself :) .

ABOUT ANDROID-

Android is a software bunch comprising not only operating system but also middleware and key applications.Android is still very much the ARM instruction set and all Android open source build's are geared towards ARM processors.Android is an ARM-centric OS.Android is a powerful Operating System supporting a large number of applications in Smart Phones. These applications make life more comfortable and advanced for the users. Hardwares that support Android are mainly based on ARM architecture platformApplications
    These are the basics of Android applications:
    • Android applications are composed of one or more application components (activities, services, content providers, and broadcast receivers)
    • Each component performs a different role in the overall application behavior, and each one can be activated individually (even by other applications)
    • The manifest file must declare all components in the application and should also declare all application requirements, such as the minimum version of Android required and any hardware configurations required
    • Non-code application resources (images, strings, layout files, etc.) should include alternatives for different device configurations (such as different strings for different languages)

THE ARM Processor Family(ABOUT PROCESSOR'S)

ABOUT ARM :
    ARM (Advance RISC machines) is a UK company that built's RISC processor's.ARM doesn't sell microphone's intead it linces it's technology to other companies along with the option to drop the Vanilla (non-modified) ARM core in their SoC (System On Chip).Many company's like Qualcom,nVidia create their own processor by using ARM design as Blue-print and yeah ARM has it's share in the profit .

ABOUT SoC (System On Chip) :
    The system on Chip is single peice of chip which comprises of CPU,GPU,memory controller ..etc . SoC may either have ARM or x86 core technology.It is a unique chip which is a package that has Baseband,host of controller's that are need to process data.SoC is one single chip which is fabricated with the above stated functions.SOC's are efficient and reduce memory overhead.Top notch Company's's like Qualcom,nVidia,Apple built their SOC's using the blue-print processor design provided by ARM

fsvk.jpg

INSTRUCTION SET :
    These are special functions that has a processor can perform several stuff such as Arithmetic instruction,floating point,bit manipulation..etc . ARM support's a variety of instruction's like x86..etc..They also support 64-bit which are high and powerful performance computing chips,whereas 32-bit chips are low-powered,Little performance deliverer .. ARM also support complex instuctions like SIMD instructions

THE ARM ARCHITECTURE :
    The ARM Architecture is the base for all ARM related Core's. Usually a companies like Qualcomm,broadcom ,etc which would be creating custom cores will license the Architecture for tweaking it from ARM itself.Using the Architecture and fine-tuning it for special work such as Real Time processing or High complex level purpose they create a particular Family names like Cortex-A, Cortex-R...etc .

THE ARM CORE :
    By varying the core clock speed,instruction set,,ARM Produces many cores for SOC builder's . Such is Cortex A7,A8,A9 core family.Cortex family in used in almost every Top Notch device out there.Its completely depends on the OEM/Vendor to opt for the core's that are needed for their Devic
    e​

So,let's now move to the Basic point's one must keep in mind to buy an Android device ..​

1 . SCREEN SIZE :
    This is the first thing that must Flash into our mind before buying an Android Device .Screen size is subjective and should be based on your taste.Still,smartphone,it's better to opt for a screen,that's bigger than 4" inches for a Device and more than 7" inches would do good for a Tablet.

rkt2.jpg

enpo.jpg

2 . RESOLUTION :
    Look out for the device which has higher PPI (pixels per inch) value .. PPI more than 250 is considered good but higher the PPI the better the device would be .The best part is that these devices offer the ability to pinch to zoom or tap to zoom which aids in reading even with a lower-size display

3 . HARDWARE :
    In terms of Android OS one needs better hardware to get a lacklustre view of browsing and the fact 'THE HIGHER THE BETTER" apply's here too ..Architecture and process nodes boost performance more than stuffing in more cores with enhancement's .. Phone's with Quad-core SOC'S will surely lead to batter draining .. Go for the device which is powered by cortex A9 , A7 technology paired with Quad core's or even dual core's
    .​

3.1 . GPU : ]
    Some of the best GPU'S out there are made by Qualcomm (adreno) ,ARM (mali) ..But make sure that you device doesn't have a BROADCOM powered GPU.. Broadcomm has a closed-source policy and they make the Best Buggy GPU'S out there .. Better opt fo Qualcomm powered GPU .Anyway Adreno and Mali based GPU occupy a large chunk over the system and leaving less for you .so make sure your device has 1GB Ram​
    ..​

4 . UPDATE'S OF ROM :
    This is plagued by OEM'S or vendors.This is the main reson behind the stagnating with fragmentation's over verions .This is completely controlled by the device Vendor's .Though Samsung tops in place of providing update but that actually wont be that satisfactory...
    Just make sure to check the developement status of the device which you decided to buy, here at XDA .Anyhow if you want a Future-proof device regarding the upgrades then better stick to Nexus Line Family device which are provided by the tech Gaint and Android owner "GOOGLE"​
    ..​

Hope this thread helped you .. :)

credits:

OSY team for providing Such Knowledge
    @mathm2013 @Hitesh2626 @DamnTarget FOR FEEDBACK :)
    GFX Bandits and my whatsapp friends ..
    BroadComm for the knowledge they gave to never buy a BCM-powered device again
    image1.png

Google Nexus 5
    Capture16-286x300.png

$349 (16 GB) or $399 (32 GB) unlocked, but don’t call it “cheap.” Also available starting at $410 on Swappa. With class leading specs and excellent software and developer support, the Nexus 5 is a force to be reckoned with.

You can’t even begin to think about creating a list of the best phones currently available—at any price—without at least mentioning the Google Nexus 5. The LG-sourced device packs some serious computing firepower, including the current best-in-class quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor running at 2.26 GHz. It also packs 2 GB of RAM, a 2300 mAh battery, and a gorgeous 5″ 1080p screen with pixels dense enough so that it doesn’t even matter anymore. The camera isn’t the best in the world, and neither is its speaker volume, but both of these issues have since been mitigated somewhat.

What makes this device special isn’t its admittedly great hardware. No, it’s the software. With a stock version of the latest and greatest Android and Google have to offer, as well as virtually limitless development potential, the Nexus 5 is a software tour-de-force.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes
    Recovery? Yes.
    Unlockable? fastboot oem unlock. Need I say more?
    Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Yes.
    Multiboot? YES!

LG G2
    LG_G2_prss-380-80-300x168.jpg

$650 unlocked (or under $200 with carrier subsidy). Also available starting at $470 on Swappa.

Close cousin to the Nexus 5, the LG G2 shares many of its internals with the N5. Though the device features a larger screen and a markedly better camera, it also is weighed down by an OEM skin that only a mother could love. Despite that, the device still packs solid performance, and with a little aftermarket development love, it can truly shine.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes.
    Recovery? Yes (guide).
    Unlockable? Loki Patch.
    Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Official AOKP, OmniROM, CyanogenMod, and Paranoid Android available.
    Multiboot? No.

Sony Xperia Z1
    z11-248x300.png

$609 unlocked. Also available starting at $450 on Swappa.

Sony’s flagship for late 2013 packs quite a punch in the specs department. The device features a super speedy processor, excellent camera, competent screen, and amazing developer friendliness from the OEM.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes.
    Recovery? Yes.
    Unlockable? Yes.
    Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Official OmniROM and CyanogenMod available.
    Multiboot? No.

Moto X
    Moto-X-Black-Press-Image-002-Side-300x235.jpg

$529 unlocked (or $99 with carrier subsidy). Also available starting at $390 on Swappa. Motorola’s flagship isn’t so much a flagship as it is an everyman’s phone.

Rather than cramming as many MHz and GB as possible into as think a device as possible, Motorola chose a different path. They instead came up with a few incredibly innovative software additions and tailored the hardware to match. As such, the Moto X doesn’t directly compete with the Samsung Galaxies and the HTC Ones of the world, at least not in raw specs, but it doesn’t have to. It’s a great device that offers solid performance and a reasonably good screen. And the touchless controls aren’t just the icing on the cake; they are the cake.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? RockMyMoto.
    Recovery? Yes.
    Unlockable? RockMyMoto
    Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Not at the moment. A few source-built ROMs including official PAC nightlies, but no official PA, Omni, or CM for the device.
    Multiboot? No.

PHABLETS

Samsung Galaxy Note 3http://www.xda-developers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/samsung-galaxy-note-3-300x236.jpg

$645 unlocked (or under $300 with carrier subsidy). Also available starting at $550 on Swappa. When you need to do more, you can with various Samsung S Pen apps.

The Galaxy Note 3 continues to be the only very large phone that truly offers a “phablet” experience. Rather that simply making a very large phone, Samsung has made a device that is capable of doing fundamentally more than most phones. Now, you need to deal with TouchWiz in order to gain this functionality. But for many, the trade-off is well worth it.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes.
    Recovery? Yes.
    Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Yes, but depends on variant.
    Multiboot? No.

Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Capture17-300x211.png

$520 unlocked. Also available starting at $430 on Swappa.

Although it lacks the S Pen functionality of Samsung’s Galaxy Note 3, the Xperia Z Ultra has one added trick up its sleeve: the recently launched Z Ultra Google Play edition. Due to their hardware similarities, it’s not unreasonable to assume that the GPe ROM will be ported over to the standard device, and that’s good news for Z Ultra owners everywhere!

OLDER FLAGSHIP DEVICES

HTC One
    HTC-ProductDetail-Hero-slide-04-300x267.png

$540 unlocked. Also starting at $329 on Swappa.

HTC Started the year off strong with the HTC One. When we covered the launch back in March, we were quite impressed with the device’s stunning screen, speedy processor, tasteful skin, and beautiful build quality. While the phone is no longer one of the fastest devices available, it is still a powerful device for those looking for a sculpted work of art, rather than the bleeding edge in mobile tech.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes.
    Recovery? Yes.
    Unlockable? Yes.
    Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Official OmniROM and CyanogenMod, depending on variant.
    Multiboot? Yes!
    Google Edition Conversion? Yes!

Samsung Galaxy S 4
    samsung-galaxy-s-4-white-three-up-front-profile-back-300x213.jpg

$560 unlocked. Also starting at $380 on Swappa.

While it’s starting to fall behind in the specs war compared to newer devices, Samsung’s Galaxy S 4 still packs quite a bit of power, a fantastic screen, great battery life, a nice camera, and expandable storage. Furthermore, the device has a healthy development community with more mods, tweaks, ROMs, and kernels than you can shake a stick at.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes.
    Recovery? Yes.
    Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Varies depending on variant, but generally yes.

Oppo Find 5
    Find-5-1-300x168.jpg

$500 unlocked. Also starting at $310 on Swappa.

The Oppo Find 5 is a great device with a fantastic camera and impeccable screen. Its Snapdragon S4 Pro is no longer the fastest SoC available, but it can still breeze through most tasks without any slowdown. Finally, Oppo’s developer-friendly attitude earns it a place among all the heavyweights.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes.
    Recovery? Yes.
    Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? Official AOKP, Paranoid Android, and CyanogenMod.

On a Budget

Moto G
    20131209T093823-245x300.jpg

$179 (8 GB) or $199 (16 GB) direct.

This one’s simple. If you’ve only got $200 or less, and you want an unlocked phone, get a Moto G. It’s a solid phone at an utterly fantastic price. Developer support isn’t quite there yet, but with such good price/performance, we can’t imagine it being too far.

XDA Breakdown:

Root? Yes.
    Recovery? Yes.
    Unlockable? Through Motorola.
    Widespread Aftermarket Developer Support? better than galaxy ace-i's

CREDITS: xda holiday guide 2013
    One can buy it only if you enough money in your Hands ..

640 dollars buddy :p

Not only money. Gotta see if it fits on your hand :p
    Are you sure you don't want to credit also BroadCom for the knowledge they gave you and us? They teached us to never buy a BCM-powered device again (except for a Raspberry Pi maybe :fingercrossed: :rolleyes: )
    Reserved, just in case ;)