XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What should I choose?

Tip us?

Nico3d3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default What should I choose?

I'm with Koodo carrier and I'm not satisfied with my Samsung Galaxy Ace IIx. Here is what they offer, for a replacement (which I can afford) for now (price is in canadian money): Moto G (150$), HTC Desire 601 (300$), Nexus 4 16go (300$), Samsung Galaxy S III (300$), Galaxy S4 mini (300$). I like the Moto G, for its price, but it lack support for microsd card and it's a bummer. If I want something with microsd support, I need to buy something like HTC Desire or Galaxy S3. I also want to be able to install CyanogenMOD so I think the Galaxy S3 would be a good choice. What do you think? I could get an HTC Desire 601 for the same price, but information about custom rom support is sparse.

Olycius
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico3d3 View Post
I'm with Koodo carrier and I'm not satisfied with my Samsung Galaxy Ace IIx. Here is what they offer, for a replacement (which I can afford) for now (price is in canadian money): Moto G (150$), HTC Desire 601 (300$), Nexus 4 16go (300$), Samsung Galaxy S III (300$), Galaxy S4 mini (300$). I like the Moto G, for its price, but it lack support for microsd card and it's a bummer. If I want something with microsd support, I need to buy something like HTC Desire or Galaxy S3. I also want to be able to install CyanogenMOD so I think the Galaxy S3 would be a good choice. What do you think? I could get an HTC Desire 601 for the same price, but information about custom rom support is sparse.
The S III beats the S4 mini in almost everything except ram since it has 512mb more which makes a difference. All in all I would go for a Nexus 4 out of all of them. For one it has a better display than all of them(318ppi). It also has a quad core proccessor and 2gb of ram. Down side it again the storage. 8gb internal memory so if memory would be an issue then I would look into something else. Nexus 4 also gets android updates first since it is a google device. So you are going to have to trade in the power and perks of the nexus 4 if you want more storage. If you want everything balanced out then a S III would be the way to go.

Nico3d3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olycius View Post
The S III beats the S4 mini in almost everything except ram since it has 512mb more which makes a difference. All in all I would go for a Nexus 4 out of all of them. For one it has a better display than all of them(318ppi). It also has a quad core proccessor and 2gb of ram. Down side it again the storage. 8gb internal memory so if memory would be an issue then I would look into something else. Nexus 4 also gets android updates first since it is a google device. So you are going to have to trade in the power and perks of the nexus 4 if you want more storage. If you want everything balanced out then a S III would be the way to go.
I'd love to have the Nexus 4 but does it have support for microsd?

Olycius
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Once again your going to have to trade off. Nexus 4 downside is no SD slot. So if you want storage your best bet is the SIII. But then you lose 1gb of ram which is quite Alot and the processor of the Nexus is pretty good. S4 mini you lose half of the ram you do with the SIII but also two cores.

SGH-M919 Running Gummy 4.4.2
Phone :
Galaxy S4
Rom:GoldenEye (4.2.2)
Tablet :
Nexus 7 2012
Rom: (Rooted)Stock (4.2.2)

ChrisBeeezy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Personally, I'd go with the S4 & I'd be wary about buying an S3 this late in the game. I've had the S3 since the week it came out in the states and I'm just about to upgrade myself.

Olycius
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vista203 View Post
Personally, I'd go with the S4 & I'd be wary about buying an S3 this late in the game. I've had the S3 since the week it came out in the states and I'm just about to upgrade myself.
It's an S4 Mini, only has a dual core proccessor and the battery life on an s3 is better with 4 cores.

Nico3d3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I just bought the S3 yesterday, for someone like me who always had cheap cellphone (my first smartphone was a first gen Galaxy Ace), I can tell you it's a beast compared to what I used in the past. Also, I had to choose something which I can afford, the S4 wasn't affordable for me.