5,598,779 Members 35,879 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] clarification on multiple topics for a beginner.

Tip us?

JiMiHenDriX420
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] clarification on multiple topics for a beginner.

Hey guys. I want to start off by saying that I've researched answers to my following questions but the answers have raised more questions.

I will first explain my current setup and the process in which I took to get here.

When I first got my phone it was mj7
From fully stock (no root) I installed the OTA mje update.
I then rooted using Kongo
Installed SS
Installed the JellyBeans rom

Now wwhee I need clarification. ..

If I'm upgrading a new version in the future of this same rom it states to do a factory reset. To me this means use ss and perform a wipe on the rom slot the current rom is installed on. Is this correct? I ask because I've seen posts saying you should reroot before doing so. This leads me to my next question....

If I'm going to unroot and put back to stock as if I was going to do a warranty swap can I use the kingo unroot option and be all set? I've read that this works perfectly fine but then I see others saying you should flash the tar file. And that brings me to my last question. ..

If needing to fflash the tar file should I flash the current mj version my phone is on (I believe this is called the kernel version? ) or whatever is the latest one released ?

I totally understand these are basic questions that I should already know and have been talked about a million times but for a beginner like me and the HUGE amount of info out there I feel I'm getting some contradicting information. Please forgive my lack of knowledge, I'm just now stepping into this world. Thank you in advance... any and all input would be hugely appreciated.

EnterTheWu
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiMiHenDriX420 View Post

If I'm upgrading a new version in the future of this same rom it states to do a factory reset. To me this means use ss and perform a wipe on the rom slot the current rom is installed on. Is this correct? I ask because I've seen posts saying you should reroot before doing so. This leads me to my next question....

If I'm going to unroot and put back to stock as if I was going to do a warranty swap can I use the kingo unroot option and be all set? I've read that this works perfectly fine but then I see others saying you should flash the tar file. And that brings me to my last question. ..

If needing to fflash the tar file should I flash the current mj version my phone is on (I believe this is called the kernel version? ) or whatever is the latest one released ?

I totally understand these are basic questions that I should already know and have been talked about a million times but for a beginner like me and the HUGE amount of info out there I feel I'm getting some contradicting information. Please forgive my lack of knowledge, I'm just now stepping into this world. Thank you in advance... any and all input would be hugely appreciated.
One you have updated to MJE and achieved root and installed SS, you're good, until the next OTA rolls out from verizon. Currently I have my stock slot with root and nothing else. My first custom Rom slot has Beans' Rom on it. when people say to do a factory reset, they are talking about a factory reset on the specific rom slot you wish you flash. When you wipe a Rom slot, only that slot is affected, nothing else. So the phone will not lose root, or MJE, or SS.

So, in your case, back up your apps with TB or whatever you use, save your media on your MicroSD if you have one, and wipe the slot that youre going to flash. Dont wipe the stock slot, unless that's the one youre re-flashing. after you wipe, flash the new Beans 5, then either have google sync up your apps, or install titanium backup and go restore everything. Personally i had problems doing a full batch restore, so I only restored a few things, (i left out a bunch of system app data restores such as settings and dictionaries), but that should do the trick.