Galaxy Gear real life experience

Tip us?

rogerpilly
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Galaxy Gear real life experience

hello everybody,
I just purchased a GG yesterday, after reading a lot of your posts and thank you all for it. What convinced me was the new update that brings full notifications and better battery life. So far, I like it a lot, but of course 1 day is not enough.
There are 2 things I would like to ask other owners, who might have had it for longer time.
I read the post about the IP55 rating, but I would like to know if somebody really dropped it in water (most likely unintentionally), drop some water/liquid on it, got heavy rain, ecc. In other words, something more than washing hands or sweat.
Second point regards scratches. There are a lot of posts about this all over Internet, but very controversial. I would like to know if any of you had any scracth on the glass, the case or the buckle. If any of you experinced any serious bump, drops and so forth. I read somewhere that the GG has sapphire glass, but I seriously doubt it, as usually these glasses are very expensive and are used mostly on more expensive watches.
Thining logically, Samsung should have considered these issues, as after all, it is a watch and you want to wear it, so some kind of protection shluld be there. But I learnt that logic does not always work.
Any advice/experience you would like to share will be much appreciated!!!

Thank you very much,

Roger

lukasz
Old
Thanks Meter 41
I am using GEAR since end of OCT.
- water resistance - rain, drops of water is OK for the watch - if You search the forum you will even find the movie with the gear under kitchen tap water flowing on it. It is NOT ok for shower, swimming, diving etc. Generally - keep it away from water when possible. GEAR build quality is OK
If You wonder how SONY watch behaves - check their forum - a lot of complains and quality issues in general like http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2574988

- scratch resistance - Gear glass is NOT scratch resistant! it scratches very easy so keep it away from any hard objects, sand, metal, etc. Generally speaking- with the product life of maximum 1 year ( yes, we may expect GEAR II not later than September 2014) scratch resistance is not so important, and Samsung for sure will not use sapphire for the glass - it is too expensive.
luk
Apple Newton 120/Handspring with phone module/Ipaq with phone backpack/MDAII/MDAIII/MDA Pro/ATHENA (Ameo)
HTC HD2 / Galaxy Note / Galaxy Note 2 / Galaxy NOTE 3, Samsung GEAR Watch, MW600, MW1
Currently using: SM-N9005 + BT Headset Sony MW600 + GEAR Watch
The Following User Says Thank You to lukasz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mr Ian B
Old
Thanks Meter 156
I've had mine since day one and no problem with it whatsoever. I don't take it off when I wash my hands just careful not getting it wet.

Battery life is pretty strong as you go about two days. Don't have any scratches on it so far but I'm pretty careful when I'm around walls/tables/desks.

Ian B
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Ian B For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AstroDigital
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post
I've had mine since day one and no problem with it whatsoever. I don't take it off when I wash my hands just careful not getting it wet.

Battery life is pretty strong as you go about two days. Don't have any scratches on it so far but I'm pretty careful when I'm around walls/tables/desks.

Ian B

Same here ^^^
The Following User Says Thank You to AstroDigital For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

WRichieX
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I have washed my hands with mine on and have gotten water on it (even into the speaker area) no problems so far. Regarding scratched, I put on a skinomi shield (invisible shield type). Looks awesome! Super clear and can barely see it's on. I got the full body which has a cover for under the watch (not too sure why you would need it but I put on since it came with it). I should let you know that with the full body cover, the charger takes some work to get it to close but it's definitely close-able. Have fun with you new gear. I know I am.
The Following User Says Thank You to WRichieX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RJV3
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Picked up a galaxy gear with carbon fiber skin protector from skinomi and it came with a screen protector too. Bought extra screen protectors off Amazon just in case. Everything running great and not worries about scratches anymore. Still very cautious around water though.

Sent from my Hyperdrive Rls 11 Galaxy S4
The Following User Says Thank You to RJV3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

koreankabachy
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Had mine for awhile as well. I don't worry about washing my hands or rain. Just wouldn't submerge it to be on the safer side. Scratches... The speaker clasp is pretty scratched up but I'm not too concerned about it. As for the face, I have hit/bumped/scraped on things such as desk, doors, walls, etc. So far it has held up well with no noticeable scratches. However I always worry every time I do bump it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Rooted GN II "Jelly Beans" ROM
The Following User Says Thank You to koreankabachy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jonboyuk
Old
Thanks Meter 60
I know this is a slightly callous thing to say, but suddenly watches have fallen into the bi-yearly replaceable category.

No longer are they finely hand crafted devices that merely tell you just the time (and sometimes the date), they are an extension of your phone. Generally my analogue time pieces would last me anywhere between 5-15 years. This is technology though and we all know it can become out of date very quickly. It's sad and I dislike this fact, but I know that in a year or two I will want to upgrade to keep up with the Jones'. Not just that, I guarantee the Note 6 won't support the original Gear.

We're stuck in the cycle now!
Phone History

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in Black
Android ROM: Official 4.3 - Stock and Knox 0x0
Samsung Galaxy Gear in Mocha Grey
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 in Black
Android ROM: Official 4.3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonboyuk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

colts187
Old
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME
My gear has me essentially committed to samsung now. I usually switch out phones alot but no more. No nexus 5 for me I guess. I wish I didn't have to use some weird workaround to get it to work with another phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to colts187 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tati F
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Skinomi Full Body Cover: Clasp Section Won't Adhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRichieX View Post
I have washed my hands with mine on and have gotten water on it (even into the speaker area) no problems so far. Regarding scratched, I put on a skinomi shield (invisible shield type). Looks awesome! Super clear and can barely see it's on. I got the full body which has a cover for under the watch (not too sure why you would need it but I put on since it came with it). I should let you know that with the full body cover, the charger takes some work to get it to close but it's definitely close-able. Have fun with you new gear. I know I am.
Were you able to get the Skinomi clasp cover to stay on? Mine was very difficult to get on to begin with and I could never get the corners to adhere properly. Within a couple days, the corners were full of dirt. Skinomi sent me a new one, but same problem. Is there a trick to get the corners to stay down, or is the clasp cover just useless?

Tags
galaxy gear, scratch, waterproof