XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sneakin' the update

Tip us?

AlchemicalVibrations
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Sneakin' the update

Currently stock unrooted 4.1.2 for some tests. When I odin'ed back to 4.0.4, I went to settings, about phone, system updates: check for updates and it popped up per usual saying I had an update. I said yes and it preceeded to download. When it had finished it asked another pop up asked to update with the freshly downloaded software. Where does that downloaded software get stored? I wanted to download the new 4.3 system update so I could copy it to my computer and get to investigating but after I download it, I do NOT want to update my phone with it. Wary of anything to do with it because it has locked down and bricked a lot of peoples devices now. Links, pointers, suggestions and all greatly appreciated. Just saw some of the members discussing the dwv blocks which turned me on to this idea.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

SlimSnoopOS
Old
(Last edited by SlimSnoopOS; 20th December 2013 at 11:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1706
OTA updates save to /Cache/FOTA after they are downloaded. Btw, we have two 4.3 threads in the General section devoted to our latest OTA. One is titled 4.3 discussion thread and the other is titled along the lines of "4.3 is arriving in October." Both have plenty of discussion going on and are your best bet on following progress on the 4.3 OTA.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable

AlchemicalVibrations
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thank you! I've actually been following both of the threads to the letter but this side project of mine is more of a personal nature. If things prove conclusive then I will report findings. Need to take a gander at the low-level code written in C.

AlchemicalVibrations
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
@SlimSnoopOS

Do you know if it is safe to check for update, when it says there is one for 4.3, download it and when it is finished downloading, adb pull it onto computer and never select install?

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemicalVibrations View Post
@SlimSnoopOS

Do you know if it is safe to check for update, when it says there is one for 4.3, download it and when it is finished downloading, adb pull it onto computer and never select install?

Excluding the ADB part, that's what I did lol I switched to my rooted VRBMF1 rom and did so. OTAs are a two step process. First, it asks if you want to download the update and then once it downloads you'll receive another popup asking if you want to install it at which point you can select Later or Install now. If you stay on stock though, and if you move that update.zip from /Cache, it will repeatedly ask you later to download again so freeze/rename system app "sdm 1.0" if you don't want it to autoinstall if you're asleep or away for too long.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable

AlchemicalVibrations
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Awesome! Thanks a ton!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app