XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

20131220 OTA Kills phone service on tOltetmo

Tip us?

sunglint
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Exclamation 20131220 OTA Kills phone service on tOltetmo

T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2, went from JediX16 to Omnirom last week. From the start have been using PhilzTouch CWM and everything worked, OTA, data, everything.

This morning I go to install the 20131220 OTA and before rebooting to flash it warns me I have to have TWRP. Since PhilzTouch is a non-standard CWM I try it anyways. Once in CWM the flash fails, so I reboot, download and install TWRP, reboot and launch the OTA. Everything seems to work ok so Im happy.

Then I turn off wifi, and realize that I have no cell service. I go to About Phone and I have nothing, no EMEI, no baseband, nothing. I reinstall the modem, no change. I go to recovery (TWRP), reinstall PhilzTouch, reboot into recovery, restore a 6 day old backup, and everything works again.

I reinstall TWRP and everything still works. So now with a clean system and the newest TWRP I try to OTA again. And I lose service again. I'm in the process of making a TWRP backup so I dont have to keep reinstalling PhilzTouch just to restore.

So it looks to me like that 20131220 OTA is badly bugged. It's a dissapointing bump, as up until now, using PhilzTouch, everything worked great, including OTAs. I dont mind TWRP, in fact it's a little easier to use than PhilzTouch (although PhilzTouch will backup and restore both CWM and TWRP formats.)

I'm concerned about the OTAs going forward, as I dont know where to see what the devs are doing, if this gets fixed, etc. I follow this forum and the Omnirom thread in TMo GNote2, but I dont see the devs post much, just users. I hope this does get worked out, as I like my Omnirom.

sunglint
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Looks like SELinuxModeChanger fixed it, and I was tipped that I can install OTAs from the OpenDelta folder. Guess Ill stay with TWRP since the devs like it.