5,606,722 Members 37,776 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Suddenly...... Nexus 7 is not charging up

Tip us?

affiatic
Old
Thanks Meter 52
my wife's was all the way dead today after not being used and wouldn't turn on. left it plugged in for 30 min and it powered on with only 2% battery. i t is stock unrooted and everything was all good until 4.4.2 is now charging very slowly. I switched to a non oem usb wire with the asus charger to see if it helps. it is the only stock android in my home (out of 7 devices) and I plan to keep it that way for now.

iXanza
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2078
I've been having this issue for about a week and its not fixed. Anyone here can link me to the post where the guy DC/rc his cables? I'll try anything

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 4

Lim Wee Huat
Old
Thanks Meter 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by iXanza View Post
I've been having this issue for about a week and its not fixed. Anyone here can link me to the post where the guy DC/rc his cables? I'll try anything

You can find it on youtube.. Just search for Nexus 7 battery fix.. I've tried on both my wife's and my Nexus 7 but it's not helping. Be careful not to break any connectors..

ren2008
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:

N7 is very easy to open and close back.

I had the EXACT same issue 2-3 times this year and disconnecting the cable and reconnecting it back fixes it EVERY TIME.

The battery cable is short and the battery is loose so movement pulls the cable out. Not all pins are touching so it results in poor contacts or no contact at all.

Its a design flaw that can also be fixed by sticking a folded paper under the battery.

Voilą!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ren2008 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iXanza
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren2008 View Post

I had the EXACT same issue 2-3 times this year and disconnecting the cable and reconnecting it back fixes it EVERY TIME.

The battery cable is short and the battery is loose so movement pulls the cable out. Not all pins are touching so it results in poor contacts or no contact at all.

Its a design flaw that can also be fixed by sticking a folded paper under the battery.

Voilą!

I'll try that when I get home. My n7 has not been charging for so long its starting to scare me. I tried pushing the cables in but it seems like its pushed as far in as it'll go.

Legobricke
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Ok...

I have opened it up and reset the battery cables...

They originally looked pretty secure though... pretty tight....

Here's hoping that unplugging and plugging the battery back is solves the issue...

I be back....

iXanza
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren2008 View Post

Voilą!

Tried unplugging and replugging but it's still the same. I think it's my charging connector though. It randomly disconnects when I plug it into the PC. Tried with 3 different cables even the stock one. But I'm not sure if it's the port or the battery. It charges up to < 60 slowly but it doesn't go beyond that and starts draining. Thinking of selling it and getting a flo instead

bftb0
Old
(Last edited by bftb0; 21st December 2013 at 10:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 775
Quote:
Tried unplugging and replugging but it's still the same. I think it's my charging connector though. It randomly disconnects when I plug it into the PC. Tried with 3 different cables even the stock one. But I'm not sure if it's the port or the battery. It charges up to < 60 slowly but it doesn't go beyond that and starts draining. Thinking of selling it and getting a flo instead

Just a thought, but another possibility is that the ribbon cable to the USB/headphone jack flex assembly has worked loose to the point of intermittent connections. See "step 10" of iFixit's N7 teardown

Or, if the connector itself is mechanically damaged, maybe there is some way to buy just that Asus sub-assembly. Anyone have a source?

picture of sub-assembly ->

Edit - wow, folks are selling them on eBay for US $50. yikes.
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."
The Following User Says Thank You to bftb0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

twc14559
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I have the same problem, I purchased a nexus 7 charging dock from Amazon and it charges flawlessly. The dock charges using the 4 pins on the side of the tablet. BTW...The charging dock is under 24.00+ Shipping.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

The Following User Says Thank You to twc14559 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]