XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

(JB) AOKP problems?

Tip us?

aspen1135
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default (JB) AOKP problems?

I recently switchef back to tasks AOKP ROM after trying out shostock. I like AOKP the best because of the layout options beep encountering problems with the ROM. I know its no longer in development so I assume its stable and its just user error. I also don't know where else to ask these questions so I hope I am in the right place

First off, I can't access the settings (not AOKP settings) in the menu. It crashes every time. EVEN on a fresh install with nothing but the gaps.
Second, the ROM starts to slow down after only a little bit of use. I want to say this is bad memory managment but clearing the task manager doesn't help. The only thing that gets it up to speed is using the kernel tweaks app and setting the gov. to performance mode which really kills the battery.
Third, which type of kernel would I use to put on this ROM? With or without mic swap? Plus what is the difference between AOKP and AOSP?

Sorry for the nooby questions guys but I'm rusty on this stuff. Don't bash on me too hard :P

Phalanx7621
Old
Thanks Meter 2045
Probably best place to ask would be the thread already created for it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2303484 I've ran this rom myself and can say I didn't experience any of these issues, a lot of the time it's user error or not doing a complete and total wipe before installing. Or a bad flash.

Phones: Samsung Galaxy S II, Motorola Atrix[retired]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phalanx7621 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

creepyncrawly
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2664

DONATE TO ME
As far as I know, AJK v4.9 AOSP and STI v2.40EX14 would be the choices for a custom kernel. Use the AOSP version, not the swap or no swap versions.

AOSP = Android Open Source Project
AOKP = Android Open Kang Project

AOSP is a generic term for Google's code. AOKP and all the other rom names such as cyanogenmod, miui, carbon, etc. are names given by the developers.

Oh, and nobody around here bashes any more. All the high strung guys evidently have moved on to newer phones. Or they've mellowed with time, lol.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aspen1135
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
I installed ajk kernal and it gave me a huge speed boost. But I still get a ui crash when I go into settings=>kernel settings. Any ideas?

SteveMurphy
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen1135 View Post
I installed ajk kernal and it gave me a huge speed boost. But I still get a ui crash when I go into settings=>kernel settings. Any ideas?
Yes, don't use the kernel settings in the settings menu. It was meant for the custom kernel that originally came with that rom.

Instead, use STweaks to make any changes you desire; it was installed when you flashed AJK.

sent from the i777
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aspen1135
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMurphy View Post
Yes, don't use the kernel settings in the settings menu. It was meant for the custom kernel that originally came with that rom.

Instead, use STweaks to make any changes you desire; it was installed when you flashed AJK.

sent from the i777
Ah, TY dude. I tryed this kernal a long time ago when it was still in its early dev stages and there were some bugs. I remember STweaks but you had to install it via the play store. I kept searching for "st tweaks" not STweaks so it wasn't showing up. I was wondering what happened! haha