5,606,588 Members 36,182 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to get to stock rooted 4.3 TW?

Tip us?

banditsw
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Smile [Q] How to get to stock rooted 4.3 TW?

Hello there.

I am running a stock, rooted, most recent TW 4.1.2. I had TWRP recovery and from what I remember, unlocked the bootloader.

After trying difference ROMS both TW and AOSP based, I decided that I would stick with the stock ROM, but rooted to add functionality, especially WIFI tethering.

I would like to get to Stock Rooted 4.3 TW so that I can (hopefully) use tethering. I attempted to take the OTA after flashing a stock recovery image, but the install failed.

I have several questions I hope the members here can assist me with:

1. Do you have to lock the bootloader prior to taking the OTA? I do realize that there is no way to unlock the bootloader on 4.3 as of the moment.

2. Is there a consensus that it is possible to root after taking the OTA via Safe Strap? I have been doing some reading on the forums, and some members indicate that it has worked for them.

3. Has anybody been able to get tethering to work after taking the OTA and rooting?

Thanks in advance! Happy holidays...

yepyep14u2know
Old
(Last edited by yepyep14u2know; 21st December 2013 at 02:03 AM.)
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by banditsw View Post
Hello there.

I am running a stock, rooted, most recent TW 4.1.2. I had TWRP recovery and from what I remember, unlocked the bootloader.

After trying difference ROMS both TW and AOSP based, I decided that I would stick with the stock ROM, but rooted to add functionality, especially WIFI tethering.

I would like to get to Stock Rooted 4.3 TW so that I can (hopefully) use tethering. I attempted to take the OTA after flashing a stock recovery image, but the install failed.

I have several questions I hope the members here can assist me with:

1. Do you have to lock the bootloader prior to taking the OTA? I do realize that there is no way to unlock the bootloader on 4.3 as of the moment.

2. Is there a consensus that it is possible to root after taking the OTA via Safe Strap? I have been doing some reading on the forums, and some members indicate that it has worked for them.

3. Has anybody been able to get tethering to work after taking the OTA and rooting?

Thanks in advance! Happy holidays...
Lock the bootloader using ez lock 1.2
Best bet is a clean Odin flash and use this NO WIPE file MB1 image #1 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1974114 then do system update to MF1 and then again for 4.3
Saferoot works (I'm currently using it without any issues) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565758
I'm on share everything plan so tethering is included

But just remember, if you do OTA the 4.3 your phone will be locked down with NO chance of ever installing a custom recovery or unlocking the bootloader and no more custom ROMs

Hope this helps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yepyep14u2know For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

banditsw
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by yepyep14u2know View Post
Best bet is a clean Odin flash and use this NO WIPE file MB1 image #1 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1974114 then do system update to MF1 and then again for 4.3
Saferoot works (I'm currently using it without any issues) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565758

But just remember, if you do OTA the 4.3 your phone will be locked down with NO chance of ever installing a custom recovery or unlocking the bootloader and no more custom ROMs

Hope this helps
Thanks for the reply. I tried to take the OTA update after flashing the stock recovery via EZ-Recovery app, and locking the bootloader via EZ-lock 1.2 per your advice, but the install failed. Did you ODIN back to stock?

I guess I will ODIN flash the image you reference, and do the OTA update that way. I used to flash all sorts of ROMS, but at this point, I just want a fully functioning rom. The developers do amazing work, that being said.

Thanks again.

yepyep14u2know
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I tried to take the OTA update after flashing the stock recovery via EZ-Recovery app, and locking the bootloader via EZ-lock 1.2 per your advice, but the install failed. Did you ODIN back to stock?

I guess I will ODIN flash the image you reference, and do the OTA update that way. I used to flash all sorts of ROMS, but at this point, I just want a fully functioning rom. The developers do amazing work, that being said.

Thanks again.
Yeah I had the same problems you're encountering. Those are the steps I took, so just follow those steps and ODIN MB1 no wipe, then system update to MF1 and then system update again to ML1, and you'll keep all your settings, contacts, apps, etc.

DigitalMD
Old
Thanks Meter 579
Quote:

Thanks again.
Just be warned, that once you take the 4.3 OTA, you cannot ever, never go back or flash custom ROMs. you are stuck there.
Days of open internet are almost over as the biggies look for more revenue streaming from your wallet..Soon the internet will be a shell of its current self. With the government wanting their taxes and the big ISPs planning to charge extra for access to specific content (like facebook) and throttle your speed.

BattsNotIncld
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMD View Post
Just be warned, that once you take the 4.3 OTA, you cannot ever, never go back or flash custom ROMs. you are stuck there.
You can't say that for sure. All you can say that there is a 99.999999999% chance that you will never be able to unlock your bootloader again.

Running a custom ROM/recovery would be attainable with a locked bootloader with something like safestrap.
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III
Current ROM: SlimKat

Previous Phone: Samsung Droid Charge (sold)

banditsw
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMD View Post

I appreciate that fact. Maybe it will be a good thing, because I was a flashaholic. Maybe it will force me to do other things other than flash ROMS LOL.

ThePagel
Old
Thanks Meter 176
Quote:
I appreciate that fact. Maybe it will be a good thing, because I was a flashaholic. Maybe it will force me to do other things other than flash ROMS LOL.
Well don't even try after the update or else you will be like me with a hopefully temporary bricked phone.

banditsw
Old
(Last edited by banditsw; 22nd December 2013 at 07:48 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by yepyep14u2know View Post

Hope this helps
I have tried downloading the MB1 image since this morning....having problems with downloading it...anyone have the file to download? Thanks.

EDIT: I guess the server had issues yesterday. Was able to download last night.