XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Questions after 4.3 update

Tip us?

XXDroidZillaXX
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] Questions after 4.3 update

I recently updated to 4.3 and when i turn on or reboot my device the first screen says Samsung and has an open lock at the bottom with "custom" under it. Anyone know what this means? Also going in to my files it says "emulated", is that normal? i cant recall before the update. Thanks for any help

BattsNotIncld
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXDroidZillaXX View Post
I recently updated to 4.3 and when i turn on or reboot my device the first screen says Samsung and has an open lock at the bottom with "custom" under it. Anyone know what this means? Also going in to my files it says "emulated", is that normal? i cant recall before the update. Thanks for any help
I'm pretty sure the "emulated" thing is a new feature introduced in 4.2 which has to do with multi-user support.

The custom is probably from your flash counter being tripped. Triangle away from the play store would fix that.
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III
Current ROM: SlimKat

Previous Phone: Samsung Droid Charge (sold)

XXDroidZillaXX
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattsNotIncld View Post
I'm pretty sure the "emulated" thing is a new feature introduced in 4.2 which has to do with multi-user support.

The custom is probably from your flash counter being tripped. Triangle away from the play store would fix that.
I just updated a couple days ago, I haven't flashed anything. I cant, root is gone and bootloader is locked.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

BattsNotIncld
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
I just updated a couple days ago, I haven't flashed anything. I cant, root is gone and bootloader is locked.

The flash counter persists through flashes/ota's, so if you ever flashed a custom ROM/recovery, it was tripped. You need to reset it manually. Boot into download mode (hold volume down, home and power at the same time) and see what it says for your device stats.

XXDroidZillaXX
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
It showed "bootlaoder ap swerv 1 that what you're talking about?

greatdaneduke
Old
Thanks Meter 85
I tried to update from a rooted stock room. The upgrade downloads then reboots then suddenly goes into recovery and asks if I want to flash the unrecognized file. It will fail if you at yes and then gives you this. Any idea what to do?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1387660973700.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	2467377  

BattsNotIncld
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
It showed "bootlaoder ap swerv 1 that what you're talking about?

I'm not sure if there's a different download mode screen in 4.3, but it it's the same there should be a big android symbol in the middle with "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!" underneath and a little menu in the top left that has all your device info. The flash counter is "custom binary download." Also if you made any changes to /system (i.e. rooting), it would say "custom" next to "system status"

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdaneduke View Post
I tried to update from a rooted stock room. The upgrade downloads then reboots then suddenly goes into recovery and asks if I want to flash the unrecognized file. It will fail if you at yes and then gives you this. Any idea what to do?

You need to be at 100% stock MF1 to update, so you'd have to ODIN to a a stock MF1 unrooted or a previous stock/un-rooted ROM and take all the OTAs.

XXDroidZillaXX
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattsNotIncld View Post
I'm not sure if there's a different download mode screen in 4.3, but it it's the same there should be a big android symbol in the middle with "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!" underneath and a little menu in the top left that has all your device info. The flash counter is "custom binary download." Also if you made any changes to /system (i.e. rooting), it would say "custom" next to "system status"

You need to be at 100% stock MF1 to update, so you'd have to ODIN to a a stock MF1 unrooted or a previous stock/un-rooted ROM and take all the OTAs.
OK. Custom binary download is a 0. System does say custom, i kept superuser after update but it can't download binary or whatever and root checker says I'm not rooted. Superuser is also not uninstallable.

greatdaneduke
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Sounds like we might be better off and wait. Is it true that an efuse will be implemented not allowing any future rooting or flashing?