5,600,919 Members 42,108 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Flash Nexus 4 kernels/roms?

Tip us?
 
Ace42
Old
#1  
Ace42's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1070
Posts: 8,939
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Default Flash Nexus 4 kernels/roms?

Recently my nexus 4 broke, so I want to buy this phone for its microsd slot. However I am unsure of how active this phone will be in 1-2yrs compared to a nexus, so I want to know if it's possible to use nexus files without the conversion. Is there some sort of patch that you guys flash before using nexus rom?
Main: LG Optimus G (E970) : Hybrid radios for E970
Surface RT 32GB
LG Nexus 4_Gnome 4.4(cracked)
Kindle Fire 1G_CM11
SGS Vibrant_CM11

Owned: G1(Backup)-> Mytouch3GS(Sold) -> SideKick4G(Traded) -> MyTouch4G(Sold) -> Sensation 4G(Sold) -> Galaxy Player 5"(Sold) ->Nexus 4(broken)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ace42 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Rishi.
Old
#2  
Rishi.'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 167
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Delhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace42 View Post
Recently my nexus 4 broke, so I want to buy this phone for its microsd slot. However I am unsure of how active this phone will be in 1-2yrs compared to a nexus, so I want to know if it's possible to use nexus files without the conversion. Is there some sort of patch that you guys flash before using nexus rom?
Sorry to hear about your Nexus 4.

Well as compared to Nexus 4 , the development will be lesser by significant margin. Add that to the fragmentation of LGOG itself in several variants.

However at the core its the same device as Nexus 4 , with some extra features ( capacitive buttons , sd card support , lte radio ).
AFAIK , there was a way to convert the device into a full fledged Nexus 4 , and then it can be utilized fully as Nexus 4( all roms,kernels,patches, and everything . Even the OTAs ) .
However , its not a good idea ,honestly. Why downgrade ?? Not to mention that its way too risky as well..
Since it messes with the partitions so most likely a chance of brick.
Not at all recommended for beginners.

Now the good thing is that our variant of optimus g (e970) bears closer similarities to e960. So the easiness in porting their features in not that difficult for our devs.

Henceforth you will most likely see a lot of things from Nexus 4 around here. There are good devs working for LGOG too.




Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
Nokia N95-RM320 | Nokia 6630.
SE K750i | SE K310i.
Moto Atrix 4g(Stolen) | LG Optimus G E970. ( Now Liberated )
-------------------------------------------------------------
If you feel I can be of some help , feel free to PM.
 
Ace42
Old
#3  
Ace42's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1070
Posts: 8,939
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi. View Post
Sorry to hear about your Nexus 4.

Well as compared to Nexus 4 , the development will be lesser by significant margin. Add that to the fragmentation of LGOG itself in several variants.

However at the core its the same device as Nexus 4 , with some extra features ( capacitive buttons , sd card support , lte radio ).
AFAIK , there was a way to convert the device into a full fledged Nexus 4 , and then it can be utilized fully as Nexus 4( all roms,kernels,patches, and everything . Even the OTAs ) .
However , its not a good idea ,honestly. Why downgrade ?? Not to mention that its way too risky as well..
Since it messes with the partitions so most likely a chance of brick.
Not at all recommended for beginners.

Now the good thing is that our variant of optimus g (e970) bears closer similarities to e960. So the easiness in porting their features in not that difficult for our devs.

Henceforth you will most likely see a lot of things from Nexus 4 around here. There are good devs working for LGOG too.




Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
I read about the risks of the conversion, which is why I don't want to bother with it. The cost to fix my nexus 4 is equal to what I could pay on ebay to buy a used LGOG. FI like the micro SD, touch key, etch on the LGOG. I wish tmobile had a version, but the n4 was the closet I could afford at the time.
Main: LG Optimus G (E970) : Hybrid radios for E970
Surface RT 32GB
LG Nexus 4_Gnome 4.4(cracked)
Kindle Fire 1G_CM11
SGS Vibrant_CM11

Owned: G1(Backup)-> Mytouch3GS(Sold) -> SideKick4G(Traded) -> MyTouch4G(Sold) -> Sensation 4G(Sold) -> Galaxy Player 5"(Sold) ->Nexus 4(broken)
 
Rishi.
Old
#4  
Rishi.'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 167
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Delhi
So what are your plans. ?

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
Nokia N95-RM320 | Nokia 6630.
SE K750i | SE K310i.
Moto Atrix 4g(Stolen) | LG Optimus G E970. ( Now Liberated )
-------------------------------------------------------------
If you feel I can be of some help , feel free to PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rishi. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Ace42
Old
#5  
Ace42's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1070
Posts: 8,939
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi. View Post
So what are your plans. ?

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
To buy a e970, then sell my nexus for like $80-90.

Sent with Virtue
Main: LG Optimus G (E970) : Hybrid radios for E970
Surface RT 32GB
LG Nexus 4_Gnome 4.4(cracked)
Kindle Fire 1G_CM11
SGS Vibrant_CM11

Owned: G1(Backup)-> Mytouch3GS(Sold) -> SideKick4G(Traded) -> MyTouch4G(Sold) -> Sensation 4G(Sold) -> Galaxy Player 5"(Sold) ->Nexus 4(broken)
 
Rishi.
Old
#6  
Rishi.'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 167
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Delhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace42 View Post
To buy a e970, then sell my nexus for like $80-90.

Sent with Virtue
Nice plan. Wise one , I would say. I would say welcome to LGOG club , in advance. :P
Nokia N95-RM320 | Nokia 6630.
SE K750i | SE K310i.
Moto Atrix 4g(Stolen) | LG Optimus G E970. ( Now Liberated )
-------------------------------------------------------------
If you feel I can be of some help , feel free to PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rishi. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Shelnutt2
Old
#7  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1606
Posts: 801
Join Date: Mar 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Don't flash a nexus 4 kernel without fixing the updater-script. It will hard brick you because their boot partition # is lgog's rpm partition. Instant hard brick on reboot.

Nexus 4 kernels also don't have captive keys, mhl and the volume buttons are reversed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shelnutt2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Rishi.
Old
#8  
Rishi.'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 167
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Delhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt2 View Post
Don't flash a nexus 4 kernel without fixing the updater-script. It will hard brick you because their boot partition # is lgog's rpm partition. Instant hard brick on reboot.

Nexus 4 kernels also don't have captive keys, mhl and the volume buttons are reversed.
Thank You , shelnutt for posting this in the thread.
Nokia N95-RM320 | Nokia 6630.
SE K750i | SE K310i.
Moto Atrix 4g(Stolen) | LG Optimus G E970. ( Now Liberated )
-------------------------------------------------------------
If you feel I can be of some help , feel free to PM.
 
Ace42
Old
#9  
Ace42's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1070
Posts: 8,939
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi. View Post
Nice plan. Wise one , I would say. I would say welcome to LGOG club , in advance. :P
Thank you, I realized how much I missed expandable storage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt2 View Post
Don't flash a nexus 4 kernel without fixing the updater-script. It will hard brick you because their boot partition # is lgog's rpm partition. Instant hard brick on reboot.

Nexus 4 kernels also don't have captive keys, mhl and the volume buttons are reversed.
I will just use the LGOG kernel instead, I don't want to sacrifice the capacitive keys(I HATE onscreen buttons & pie). Besides a dev here said they have more control when kernels don't have multiple governors and buzzwords.
Main: LG Optimus G (E970) : Hybrid radios for E970
Surface RT 32GB
LG Nexus 4_Gnome 4.4(cracked)
Kindle Fire 1G_CM11
SGS Vibrant_CM11

Owned: G1(Backup)-> Mytouch3GS(Sold) -> SideKick4G(Traded) -> MyTouch4G(Sold) -> Sensation 4G(Sold) -> Galaxy Player 5"(Sold) ->Nexus 4(broken)
 
Rishi.
Old
#10  
Rishi.'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 167
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Delhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace42 View Post
Thank you, I realized how much I missed expandable storage.
.
Me tooo. The reason for not buying N4 in the first place. Secondary being the onscreen buttons and lgog having better quality and materials. ( display for instance )


Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
Nokia N95-RM320 | Nokia 6630.
SE K750i | SE K310i.
Moto Atrix 4g(Stolen) | LG Optimus G E970. ( Now Liberated )
-------------------------------------------------------------
If you feel I can be of some help , feel free to PM.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes