XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What Can I Do With S-ON?

Tip us?

SnapplerX
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default What Can I Do With S-ON?

Sorry for this n00b question, but I have never dealt with s-on before. I acquired s-off and was running custom roms no problem, Then, I had to send the phone in to HTC to fix the purple tint camera issue. So, I went full stock and made the mistake of putting it back s-on. Apparently, I can no longer s-off anymore (please correct me if I am wrong!)

So, now I am stuck with s-on and I have already htcdev unlocked my bootloader (in an attempt to s-off which I only later found out I can't do anymore).

How can I still run custom roms and gain root?

Also, if I do those things, will I still be able to go back and get OTA if I wanted to? Like, will I be able to go back to stock to run an OTA update for kitkat if it comes?

Thanks for the help!

DarkZacky
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapplerX View Post
Sorry for this n00b question, but I have never dealt with s-on before. I acquired s-off and was running custom roms no problem, Then, I had to send the phone in to HTC to fix the purple tint camera issue. So, I went full stock and made the mistake of putting it back s-on. Apparently, I can no longer s-off anymore (please correct me if I am wrong!)

So, now I am stuck with s-on and I have already htcdev unlocked my bootloader (in an attempt to s-off which I only later found out I can't do anymore).

How can I still run custom roms and gain root?

Also, if I do those things, will I still be able to go back and get OTA if I wanted to? Like, will I be able to go back to stock to run an OTA update for kitkat if it comes?

Thanks for the help!
Hi, why can't you S-OFF? Is it due to your updated hboot?
It should be no problem getting S-OFF using rumrunner.

You can get root either by flashing a custom recovery like TWRP which helps you gain root.
Or flash a custom rom like Android Revolution which provides root access after flashing.

If you wan get OTA later on, I believe you have to create a nandroid backup using a custom recovery of your stock
or flash a RUU which requires S-OFF.

SnapplerX
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Check out the warning in this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2431515
Also, I confirmed I can't do it because I unlocked the bootloader but rumrunner keeps giving me an error something like "you need insecure bootloader or root su or fu"
That's why I think I can't s-off anymore.
So I'm just looking for steps to run a custom Rom and gain root access with s-on and also what are my limitations with s-on?
Lastly if I needed to, would I be able to get back stock enough to flash ota?

SnapplerX
Old
(Last edited by SnapplerX; 21st December 2013 at 09:30 PM.) Reason: Double post
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Please delete this post. Accidental double post.

SnapplerX
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkZacky View Post
Hi, why can't you S-OFF? Is it due to your updated hboot?
It should be no problem getting S-OFF using rumrunner.

You can get root either by flashing a custom recovery like TWRP which helps you gain root.
Or flash a custom rom like Android Revolution which provides root access after flashing.

If you wan get OTA later on, I believe you have to create a nandroid backup using a custom recovery of your stock
or flash a RUU which requires S-OFF.
Nevermind, I just successfully gained S-OFF using rumrunner! I had to htcdev unlock the bootloader AND gain root access and I tried it and it took a while, but it worked!!
In case anyone else has this problem, I had s-off before then i went back s-on and fully stock to get a warranty fix for my camera. When I got it back, I tried to get s-off again by rumrunner, but I kept encountering an error that said "ERROR: looks like device is not rooted AND lacks an unsecure kernel. SU or FU!!"
I did have an unlocked bootloader, so I didn't know why I was getting that. I assumed that my device was no longer able to achieve s-off because according to a post (see post above this) it warned that going back s-on after s-off will result in an non-s-offable device and I didn't encounter this error when I did it the first time.
But, I thought I might as well root it and try again.
I flashed a custom recovery and flashed a superSU zip file to gain root access.
I tried rumrunner again and after a little while, it worked!!