5,597,449 Members 31,036 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HD+, OOBE, and the missing browser.

Tip us?

the raito
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] HD+, OOBE, and the missing browser.

Hi all,

I've had a Nook Color and a Nook Tablet. Loved them. But I don't do a lot that's technical with them. What I do is read free media (gutenberg and the like) and use the web browser. On each of those old Nooks I bypassed OOBE and enabled third party apps (not that I installed any).

I recently bought an HD+ (2.10 firmware) and I'd like to use it the same way. However, it appears that when I bypass OOBE, I do not get a 'web' nav button (or an email nav button).

I did diligently search for answers here. The closest I came was a year-old thread saying that if you bypass OOBE, you get no apps. That was for 2.05.

So my questions are (and you may assume that I won't be getting a B&N account to make it work, though I'll probably register with my wife's to see if there's any difference):

Can I get the browser to work if I bypass OOBE? (I'm assuming it's Chrome) If so, how?

If not, am I going to have to enable third party apps and sideload a launcher and browser? If that's so, any recommendations for them? For the record, I preferred the Tablet's browser to the Color's.

On the technical side, does Chrome (and the user manual) actually not exist on the HD+ until it's registered? (As in, they have to be downloaded from a registered Nook) (I suppose that's a little different way to ask the question)

Thanks for your help.

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3397

DONATE TO ME
I don't know about chrome and whether it is available with oobe, but you can install third party apps by going to my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature and making a bootable CWM SD and flashing my enable unknown sources zip.

Also sometimes native apps like chrome are hidden by your profile settings. I can't remember exactly how to get at your profile settings but it should be explained in the B&N help online.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2 here

the raito
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
I don't know about chrome and whether it is available with oobe, but you can install third party apps by going to my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature and making a bootable CWM SD and flashing my enable unknown sources zip.

Also sometimes native apps like chrome are hidden by your profile settings. I can't remember exactly how to get at your profile settings but it should be explained in the B&N help online.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
Leapinlar, I used your methods on my previous Nooks, so thanks for that. And I'll also use your current method on the HD+. I'll check on the profile thing, but my gut says it's bypassing the OOBE that's caising my pain, as all the manuals say you should have 5 nav buttons, and I onoy have 3. Also, I just powered it up and bypassed. No messing with profiles.

I think my test method will be to register with my wife's account. That will allow me to at least determine whether it's the bypassing that's the trouble. It does kind of throw me that the manual isn't present on the device.

the raito
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Although it's completely nuts, leapinglar is right that apps can be hidden under the profile settings. In order to possibly help others, here's what I did.

1. Bypass OOBE.
2. Go to home screen by clicking the N button. Note that there are only 3 nav buttons: Library, Apps, and Store. Also notice that if you look in Apps, there are none.
3. In the lower left hand corner, there is an icon that looks like a list. Tap it, and amenu appears.
4. In the menu, tap Manage Content For Profiles.There will be an item for Apps. Open it.
5. There will be list of apps, with checkboxes next to each. Tap the checkboxes for the apps you want (for this exercise, be sure to check Chrome).
6. Tap Save.
7. Tap the back icon or click the N button to get back to the home screen.

The result is that now you will have a Web nav button.
The Following User Says Thank You to the raito For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]