5,595,918 Members 31,060 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My rooting and Knox experience

Tip us?

ElMartinoAT
Old
(Last edited by ElMartinoAT; 6th December 2013 at 09:26 AM.) Reason: Show actual system status
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 166

DONATE TO ME
Default My rooting and Knox experience

First why i want to root:
-) install some apps needing root (e.g. xposed, Firewall)
-) remove bloat- and gridware
-) integrate actual app-updates into rom
-) make backup

so what i did:
-) want to buy a note 3 ))))
-) read some days about note 3 and knox in the inet ... got the result that there root is only possible for MJ1 and older (without triggering knox) --> buy the Note 3 fast
-) got my Note 3 yesterday with MI7 ATO Firmware (old bootloader), thank god
-) flash with URDLV modificated MJ7 ATO with Odin (in URDLV-Mod there is only System and Cache Partition, so there was prob with old modem, no wlan and 3G) --> Knox is still 0
-) flash the whole MJ7 with Mobile Odin for new modem, recovery, ...(Mobile Odin do not flash bootloader !!) --> Knox is still 0
-) flash empty hidden.img (see attachment) with Mobile Odin to erase preload and preinstalled apps --> Knox is still 0
-) remove bloat- and gridware with some root deinstaller and root Explorer (there is much to erase on note 3
-) get updates from Play Store
-) move updated apk's and lib's from data to System (to integrate it in the rom)
-) install some needed apps (xposed, ...)
-) make backup with nandroid

so i have a updated, rooted, modificated Note 3 (only with the apps i need and updated versions from playstore) with actual MJ7 firmware and Knox 0 !!! Thats what i want

For that there is no need for custom recovery (install of custom recovery trigger knox)

Now i will test the stock-kernel and battery live for days ... if it is necessary to install custom kernel i will think about triggering knox

elmartino

[EDIT]
My current system status after this process:

in download mode:
current binary: samsung official
system status: official ( --> wanam xposed)
reactivation lock: off
knox kernel lock: 0x0
knox warranty void: 0x0

bootloader-prop: ...MI7 (stay on it till decease of Note 3)

modelnumber SM-N9005
Android-version 4.3
Basis N9005XXUDMJ7
Kernel 3.4.0-2019540
Build JSS15J.N9005XXUDMJ7
Attached Files
File Type: zip empty_hidden.img.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.0 KB, 26 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to ElMartinoAT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Canadoc
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Just a warning as I did similar with MJ4 on a n900w8.
Since mobile odin doesn't officially support that model you can force it to see the phone as an n9005. Well it worked but it tripped knox flag adn the modem flash still showed the older mj1 modem in spite of it being selected.
So be carefull out there

daz_2000
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Fyi. You can take pretty comprehensive backups without root with the app Helium.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ElMartinoAT
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 166

DONATE TO ME
news to that:

i tried it also with FW MK2 and it works, i am now on rootet MK2 with many changes in system-part. and knox is still 0x0.
system-status is custom (this will change with wanam xposed)

so i think with old bootloader you can always root with URDLV, update with Mobile Odin or change everthing in the system-partition without tripping knox. Only if you install custom kernel or recovery knox will get 1.

happy rooting
elmartino

PS: One question: how to backup the whole device (system, modem, recovery, ...) and make from that a flashable tar with img.ext4 (to flash with Odin or Mobile Odin). At this time i backup with Nandroid, but restore is only possible with custom recovery. I tried to repack the backup-files to a ext4 img with make_ext4fs but no boot after flashing ...