XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Vzw update system dissection

Tip us?

AlchemicalVibrations
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Vzw update system dissection

After doing some research, I've decided that I need outside assistance: not sure if I'm just searching the wrong terms and phrases but I cannot manage to find info.

Trying to find links, writeups , tutorials etc that take an in-depth look at the OTA update process. Not how to do it but from the moment I either click "check for updates" or receive the notification that there is an update, what goes on so far as the internals of the system where things are downloaded, what is affected, where things are stored, when I accept the installation what happens , what files and systems are affected et cetera. A true dissection.
@SlimSnoopOS provided me with with this tidbit which in turn piqued my curiosity:

"Excluding the ADB part, that's what I did lol I switched to my rooted VRBMF1 rom and did so. OTAs are a two step process. First, it asks if you want to download the update and then once it downloads you'll receive another popup asking if you want to install it at which point you can select Later or Install now. If you stay on stock though, and if you move that update.zip from /Cache, it will repeatedly ask you later to download again so freeze/rename system app "sdm 1.0" if you don't want it to autoinstall if you're asleep or away for too long."

Please forgive my question if this is readily available information someplace easy to find, I just could not find the right search operators. Thank you for the pointers, they are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Old
Thanks Meter 78
The search functions on both xda and Tapatalk are weak. It takes reading a lot of threads sometimes. It's tedious.

I would look on G+ for Android development.

Sent From My Last Ever Samsung Device.