5,599,539 Members 40,551 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Data recovery HELP - Bricked phone

Tip us?
 
axopro
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default Data recovery HELP - Bricked phone

Sorry for the duplicated post. I just noticed the other one i posted is in the wrong section and this is the one for the AT&T phones so here it is again.

Hi Guys. Today i rooted my phone for the first time (LG Optimus G e970)
Everything went well, then i uninstalled the bloatware from AT&T and a few of the google apps that i do not use like books or music, and on the next reboot i got my phone bricked with the LG loop and "Security Error" message.
I found some great info on these forums on getting the phone in working condition with the help of this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2388440

However, before i go ahead and restore the phone's original firmware, i would like to know if there is anyway to recover some of the files. I have some important notes i wish to recover, everything else is on google and the external SD card so im not all lost.
I am able to put the phone in download mode by holding the up and down volume keys and then powering on the phone with the usb cable connected to the PC, but it is not showing as an external disk on the computer. I do have the LG drivers installed tho, the same ones i used to root the phone.

Any ideas?. thanks a lot.
 
optimusv45
Old
#2  
optimusv45's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 69
Posts: 590
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huntington, WV
What recovery do you have ? You may be able to mount internal and sd card in recovery and access them on your computer ?
The Following User Says Thank You to optimusv45 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
axopro
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusv45 View Post
What recovery do you have ? You may be able to mount internal and sd card in recovery and access them on your computer ?
Hi thank for the help.

I have no clue about what recovery i have. I never played with the phone before the rooting and removal of the apps, so i believe it should be the "stock" recovery if you wanna call it like that.
 
optimusv45
Old
(Last edited by optimusv45; 22nd December 2013 at 03:50 AM.)
#4  
optimusv45's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 69
Posts: 590
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huntington, WV
Quote:
Originally Posted by axopro View Post
Hi thank for the help.

I have no clue about what recovery i have. I never played with the phone before the rooting and removal of the apps, so i believe it should be the "stock" recovery if you wanna call it like that.
I don't know what guide you followed to get the root. If you followed this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2450258
You should have twrp. Stock recovery may not be able to mount storages for uses on PCs.
Also I haven't seen the post you included , maybe that's an older post. A lot of people use this to recover their "bricked" phones
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2230994
I personally have followed this too.
As long as you have download mode you don't have to worry. However you need to read carefully before processing with teenybins because its something that can actually brick your phone if used wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to optimusv45 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
axopro
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusv45 View Post
I don't know what guide you followed to get the root. If you followed this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2450258
You should have twrp. Stock recovery may not be able to mount storages for uses on PCs.
Also I haven't seen the post you included , maybe that's an older post. A lot of people use this to recover their "bricked" phones
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2230994
I personally have followed this too.
As long as you have download mode you don't have to worry. However you need to read carefully before processing with teenybins because its something that can actually brick your phone if used wrong.
Ok so when i did the rooting i followed that same guide you linked to, but i only did it to the root part. Not the "UNLOCK BOOTLOADER AND INSTALL CUSTOM RECOVERY-"
I just wanted the permissions to remove the apps.

So now with the TeenyBin guide.... will that erase the current settings and information on the phone or is it just an attempt to fix the firmware loop?
will the process attempt to restore the google apps missing?
 
optimusv45
Old
(Last edited by optimusv45; 22nd December 2013 at 04:18 AM.)
#6  
optimusv45's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 69
Posts: 590
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huntington, WV
Quote:
Originally Posted by axopro View Post
Ok so when i did the rooting i followed that same guide you linked to, but i only did it to the root part. Not the "UNLOCK BOOTLOADER AND INSTALL CUSTOM RECOVERY-"
I just wanted the permissions to remove the apps.

So now with the TeenyBin guide.... will that erase the current settings and information on the phone or is it just an attempt to fix the firmware loop?
will the process attempt to restore the google apps missing?
There are different kind of teenybins. They do different things, one giving you a working recovery and updating RPM/TZ, one restoring your phone to complete factory state. You will have to read it to know what I'm saying here. The one that give you twrp and update your partitions may let your data alone but you will most likely still have the existing bootloop. The gapps missing ? The ones you deleted ? If you use the bin that recovers phones to factory state then you will have all the stock apps again.
The Following User Says Thank You to optimusv45 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
axopro
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quick update.

I was able to recover the phone and the data in it.

I installed the new boot loader with the teenybin instructions and was able to backup the data partition to an SD card.
Anyway, after that i went for a recovery using the stock firmware and LGNPST and now i lost the boot loader with all the neat options, but got the phone working again, and to my surprise, everything was back there including data and applications,. i dont get it but oh well... im back alive.
Ill backup all the important stuff from now on, and then i will keep messing with the phone again LOL. i learned quite a few things today... ill read more from now on before doing more things.

Thanks for all the help.!!

Good nite

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes