XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Buying S4 need help

Tip us?

aamir123
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
Default Buying S4 need help

So I may be buying a S4 soon but I need help understanding how know works with the s4. I have the tmobile s3, and I was already rooted so have yet to upgrade to 4.3 bootloader. What do I do if I buy a 4.3 S4? will it be easy to root, unknox, etc? will I be gauranteed to lose warantee and not be able to return to factory conditions? All answers are appreciated, Thank you!

Android_Monsters
Old
Thanks Meter 748
This thread is good: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2441229

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

aamir123
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android_Monsters View Post
This thread is good: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2441229

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
that guide was written before the 4.3 update, since then a knox counter has been implemented which cannot be reset and therefore will most likely void warranty...

Was just wondering if there is a way to avoid setting off that counter

baseballfanz
Old
Thanks Meter 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamir123 View Post
that guide was written before the 4.3 update, since then a knox counter has been implemented which cannot be reset and therefore will most likely void warranty...

Was just wondering if there is a way to avoid setting off that counter
Yes you're right about the Knox counter. Unfortunately there's no way to reset the counter right now. Beside those few things you can root and flash 4.3 custom Rom (cannot flash 4.2.2)

☞ Sent from here☜🙈🙉🙊

aamir123
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfanz View Post
Yes you're right about the Knox counter. Unfortunately there's no way to reset the counter right now. Beside those few things you can root and flash 4.3 custom Rom (cannot flash 4.2.2)

☞ Sent from here☜🙈🙉🙊
I guess my question is what if I buy a galaxy s4 with stock 4.3 updated via ota? When I root will I be automatically be stuck with a triggered knox counter or does rooting alone not affect the knox counter? Sorry for any misunderstanding.

lordcheeto03
Old
Thanks Meter 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamir123 View Post
I guess my question is what if I buy a galaxy s4 with stock 4.3 updated via ota? When I root will I be automatically be stuck with a triggered knox counter or does rooting alone not affect the knox counter? Sorry for any misunderstanding.
As far as I know, rooting DOES trip the knox counter. If you can find one that's still on 4.2.2 (MDL or MDB) I'd go with that one. At least with one that's still on 4.2.2 you can reset the flash counter (knox counter is irrelevant on the m919 on pre-4.3 official) and still have the freedom to use 4.2.2 ROMs if you so desired.
Don't be afraid of the "Thanks" button
The Following User Says Thank You to lordcheeto03 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]