XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

De-bricking time!

Tip us?

killboredom
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default De-bricking time!

Ok, yesterday morning my MAXX received the KitKat update. Brainlessly, I clicked upgrade. This put me into the oh so famous bootloop.

During one of the boot loops, I managed to unroot with Voodoo.

Then in fastboot, I had the brilliant (aka, incredibly stupid) idea of flashing an old recovery. I had thought it was the one from 4.2.2 but sadly, it was from the previous version.

This had the appearance of working as it then booted to KitKat upgrade, which after a couple minutes failed.

Now I'm completely stuck in fastboot mode. I can't flash the 4.2.2 recovery. I haven't tried anything else. FXZ back to 12.15.15 doesn't work. Gives the GPT failure.

So...my belief, based only on googling around, is that I need to wait for the FXZ for KitKat. Does that sound right?

Any other ideas?

Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to killboredom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

phositadc
Old
Thanks Meter 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by killboredom View Post
Ok, yesterday morning my MAXX received the KitKat update. Brainlessly, I clicked upgrade. This put me into the oh so famous bootloop.

Then in fastboot, I had the brilliant (aka, incredibly stupid) idea of flashing an old recovery. I had thought it was the one from 4.2.2 but sadly, it was from the previous version.

This had the appearance of working as it then booted to KitKat upgrade, which after a couple minutes failed.

Now I'm completely stuck in fastboot mode. I can't flash the 4.2.2 recovery. I haven't tried anything else. FXZ back to 12.15.15 doesn't work. Gives the GPT failure.

So...my belief, based only on googling around, is that I need to wait for the FXZ for KitKat. Does that sound right?

Any other ideas?

I think that's right. It's ridiculous that by locking things down and preventing us from unlocking bootloader Verizon actually causes bricks of this nature to occur. If you had an unlocked bootloader you'd be 100% fine right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7

r00st3r9109
Old
Thanks Meter 18
There is a way. I posted in previous forum.
Use fastboot

Fastboot wipe cache
Fastboot wipe user data

Try this if not pm me and I will help you out one on one
That should fix your issue

Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app

codito
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by phositadc View Post
I think that's right. It's ridiculous that by locking things down and preventing us from unlocking bootloader Verizon actually causes bricks of this nature to occur. If you had an unlocked bootloader you'd be 100% fine right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7
If he hadn't brute forced a root method and messed with his phone he'd be 100% fine too

killboredom
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by codito View Post
If he hadn't brute forced a root method and messed with his phone he'd be 100% fine too
Ha...well there is that But what fun would that be?

The sad part is that the manufacturers could care less about giving us an unlocked bootloader. Android is a great ecosystem to play with and learn with and improve with. It's the carriers that are so paranoid about taking any tiny dent in their enormous profits that want to keep us locked out. So shame on them.

But, to be fair, I know the risks of the world we live in and this is my first brick in four Android phones, so I'm fine with it.

phositadc
Old
(Last edited by phositadc; 21st December 2013 at 10:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by codito View Post
My point was merely that it's somewhat ironic that, by trying to prevent bricks by locking bootloaders, Verizon actually causes some bricks that would be avoided with an unlocked bootloader.

Not saying anything about whether what he was doing is right or wrong, or whether Verizon prevents more bricks than it causes.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Edit: but you've got to wonder. Are you more likely to brick using one of these crazy complicated methods we have to use to get around Verizon security? Or using fastboot OEM unlock + flash superuser. I bet per hundred rooted phones, less Nexus's (and other unlockable phones) are bricked than phones that are tightly locked down. Pure speculation of course.

TechSavvy2
Old
Thanks Meter 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by killboredom View Post

Any other ideas?

It sounds like you're actually stuck partially on JB, partially on KK, hence why you're bootlooping. I had a very similar issue when I tried to install the KK update through update.zip .......... after a couple hours, I finally got it back up and running.

My method - use the Method 2 Manual flash steps I posted in Dev section here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2580060
Let me know if it works. I had problems at first, but that should cover it. Getting system to flash was actually the hardest part