XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HTC One Backup SMS without ROOT

Tip us?

networkn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default [Q] HTC One Backup SMS without ROOT

I have a customer who's unrooted HTC One is bootlooping after he did an update that he doesn't recall the name of. He doesn't have nor has he ever had root or a custom ROM. He is extremely keen to get his text messages from the phone, and I am wondering if there is a step by step process I could undertake to try and recover those ?

I can get to download mode and to another mode which offers factory reset etc..
Galaxy S4 I9505

networkn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Anyone able to help please?
Galaxy S4 I9505

nkk71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkn View Post
I have a customer who's unrooted HTC One is bootlooping after he did an update that he doesn't recall the name of. He doesn't have nor has he ever had root or a custom ROM. He is extremely keen to get his text messages from the phone, and I am wondering if there is a step by step process I could undertake to try and recover those ?

I can get to download mode and to another mode which offers factory reset etc..
I won't be able to help, but maybe this COULD help:

1- are you still on hboot 1.44? that COULD give a glimmer of hope, as you could use revone to unlock without wiping

2a- if however you are on hboot 1.54+, then (to the best of my knowledge) you need to use HTCdev to unlock, and that WILL WIPE everything

2b- if you are on hboot 1.54+, you could use a Java Card to get S-Off, then downgrade to hboot 1.44 (NB: I do not know if a Java Card wipes anything!!!)

why hboot 1.44, because it allows for "fastboot boot <name of custom recovery>.img", where you would be able to use adb commands to pull the sms database (I think it's stored in "/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/") though you would still need to find a way to decode the sql db.

I use this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pRestore&hl=en to backup SMS messages to an xml file (doesnt work for MMS), but you need a functioning ROM for that.

networkn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkk71 View Post
I won't be able to help, but maybe this COULD help:

1- are you still on hboot 1.44? that COULD give a glimmer of hope, as you could use revone to unlock without wiping

2a- if however you are on hboot 1.54+, then (to the best of my knowledge) you need to use HTCdev to unlock, and that WILL WIPE everything

2b- if you are on hboot 1.54+, you could use a Java Card to get S-Off, then downgrade to hboot 1.44 (NB: I do not know if a Java Card wipes anything!!!)

why hboot 1.44, because it allows for "fastboot boot <name of custom recovery>.img", where you would be able to use adb commands to pull the sms database (I think it's stored in "/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/") though you would still need to find a way to decode the sql db.

I use this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pRestore&hl=en to backup SMS messages to an xml file (doesnt work for MMS), but you need a functioning ROM for that.

Thanks for your help, how do I determine what versions of whatever I have?
Galaxy S4 I9505

networkn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Hmm what is the best step by step guide I can follow to recover my device if it's bootlooping? I can get into download mode and recovery mode.
Galaxy S4 I9505

nkk71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkn View Post
Thanks for your help, how do I determine what versions of whatever I have?
in bootloader: HBOOT-1.xx.xxxx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131006-WA0006.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	2468219