5,597,198 Members 43,441 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Camera issue

Tip us?

velis74
Old
(Last edited by velis74; 20th December 2013 at 08:07 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 739
Default Camera issue

Just became a proud owner of a new HTC One. Bought it for the camera, of course.
So yesterday I decide to do a first test of its performance expecting everything to be crystal clear in an interior shot.

The room was first lit with lights + daylight. Pic was OK. Was expecting it to be even sharper.
Then I turned off the lights so only daylight remained. Not exactly a night shot, it was full daytime, 2PM, though it's winter here. Any pic I took was completely blurred and unusable.

I was expecting this phone to knock my socks off, but instead I got performance on par with my Galaxy Nexus which I was replacing mainly for the camera. Not to mention my coleagues got to laugh at me because an iPhone 5 took waaaaaayyyyyyy better pics in the same lighting conditions.

With these results I won't even bother testring in true night conditions. I just know pics will suck.

So, did this phone ship to reviewers with different camera module than what I got?

Attached a sample pic with daylight lighting only.

Phone info: (firmware as phone received with, no custom ROMs yet)
android 4.3, sense 5.5, SW # 3.62.401.1, HTC SDK API level 5.65
kernel v 3.4.10-gfa33c1e
build # 3.62.401.1 CL264544

I don't know how to get camera model, like was discussed here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0007.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	2464751  

Seraphicus
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by velis74 View Post
Just became a proud owner of a new HTC One. Bought it for the camera, of course.
So yesterday I decide to do a first test of its performance expecting everything to be crystal clear in an interior shot.

The room was first lit with lights + daylight. Pic was OK. Was expecting it to be even sharper.
Then I turned off the lights so only daylight remained. Not exactly a night shot, it was full daytime, 2PM, though it's winter here. Any pic I took was completely blurred and unusable.

I was expecting this phone to knock my socks off, but instead I got performance on par with my Galaxy Nexus which I was replacing mainly for the camera. Not to mention my coleagues got to laugh at me because an iPhone 5 took waaaaaayyyyyyy better pics in the same lighting conditions.

With these results I won't even bother testring in true night conditions. I just know pics will suck.

So, did this phone ship to reviewers with different camera module than what I got?

Attached a sample pic with daylight lighting only.

Phone info: (firmware as phone received with, no custom ROMs yet)
android 4.3, sense 5.5, SW # 3.62.401.1, HTC SDK API level 5.65
kernel v 3.4.10-gfa33c1e
build # 3.62.401.1 CL264544

I don't know how to get camera model, like was discussed here.
Tried to reset the camera settings in the camera app?
Also try to touch the center of the screen where your objective is, so it will focus on that point. Could simply be that it's out of focus...
I noticed a problem with my Galaxy S4, that I have to keep the phone still for about 2 seconds after I've taken a picture, otherwise it will become blurry as the shutter is so slow. Maybe your phone/shutter has the same problem. I don't have that issue with my HTC though!

velis74
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 739
I was expecting better photo quality from this phone.
Is this the quality everyone is getting?

velis74
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 739
Did another round of testing. Again the lighting is midday winter enironment in a well-windowed room, so plenty of natural light. Not exactly what you would call dark. I feel no need to turn on the lights and probably won't fel it for 3 - 4 hours yet.
These are my findings:

1. ISO speed and resulting artifacts are normally too high
2. Combined with relatively long exposure times it's hard to create a good sharp photo
3. Camera pixel count doesn't help with the above

Results this time are much better than original ones, but camera performance remains well below expected levels.

I was under the impression that #3 is there precisely for fixing #1 and #2, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Should I have the camera module replaced?