XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Note 3 DE makes a lousy phone

Tip us?

F350-6
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Note 3 DE makes a lousy phone

So I recently got my Note 3 DE and have noticed a lot of garbled sounds when I try to use the thing as a phone. Kind of sucks that my new phone doesn't work so well as a phone.

I've got a spigen case on it if that makes a difference. Is there anything I can do to improve reception or signal strength? Different radio to flash or a better rom for a cell phone signal perhaps? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

blaine07
Old
Thanks Meter 28
You on MJ7 or MJE?

Sent from my SM-N900V

F350-6
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Looks like it's MJ3. If I need to update, I'd appreciate a link as to where to go to find it.

TSman74
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
Looks like it's MJ3. If I need to update, I'd appreciate a link as to where to go to find it.
First, Have you installed custom recovery (TWRP) and rooted yet? You need to do this before updating. THIS WILL VOID THE 30 DAY WARRANTY AND TRIP KNOX. Follow this guide and make sure you make a backup onto your SD CARD before updating anything else. Here is a guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2525208

Then you can flash the newest modem in Odin as well. It's MJE. Make sure you power down completely (pull battery) and then hold power, volume down, home buttons to get into download mode. Seems to help the modem to stick. File can be found in first post here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2524572

After reboot go to settings/about phone and confirm that your baseband version has been updated to MJE. Now you will notice that your Base version is still MJ3. You can stay there if you're happy or update to the newest build. The second post on the above thread has the dev ed. MJE stock tar. you can flash that in odin to stay stock. THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON YOUR PHONE and you will be starting clean, so backup anything you need.

Or you can try a custom ROM. I recomend Beans' because it also installs the newest kernel on the dev phone automatically and it rocks.
But, up to you. Find it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2523159

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to TSman74 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

F350-6
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Yes I'm rooted, just haven't flashed anything. Thanks for the links.

So, does MJE or Beans or whatever else is out there give you better phone reception? I haven't flashed any roms yet since I was trying to learn my way around the stock version first, but if it means better phone reception, I'm ready to get started.

TSman74
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
Yes I'm rooted, just haven't flashed anything. Thanks for the links.

So, does MJE or Beans or whatever else is out there give you better phone reception? I haven't flashed any roms yet since I was trying to learn my way around the stock version first, but if it means better phone reception, I'm ready to get started.
From what I read, the garbled sound was common on the retail N3. Many people returned them. But some reported that it went away after the first ota. As for reception, I saw a slight improvement with mje over previous modems. Your results may vary. But you can flash back to another modem and try them all out.
The Following User Says Thank You to TSman74 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

F350-6
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Flashed Beans and gave it a test run today. So far phone reception seems to be better. Guess I'll find out more next week.

Only problem I've ran into so far is I can't seem to restore data from apps from the factory rooted rom to this one. I use Notepad for lists of things that I need to do. Restoring the data to that app seems to make the entire app dissapear after a reboot. Same goes for Maildroid.

TSman74
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Cool. Did it clear up the garbled sound on phone calls? What are you using to restore data?

F350-6
Old
(Last edited by F350-6; 22nd December 2013 at 01:43 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
So far phone calls are much better. I tried My backup pro to restore data.

If I should be able to restore data, I'll try titanium backup and see if the data sticks that way. I backed up using both just in case.

Edit: Titanium backup restored the data with no issues. Guess I should have tried that first.

TSman74
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Good! I use Titanium as well with no issues.Good luck.