XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 7 LTE Google play

Tip us?

coffeelude
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Post [Q] Nexus 7 LTE Google play

Can I buy the nexus 7 LTE version from google play and use it abroad? Has anyone done this? Would appreciate any information on countries one could use the nexus.

oldblue910
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2010

DONATE TO ME
It'll work fine a road, but you probably won't have LTE. You'll have to make do with HSPA+.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
XDA's Resident Archivist-in-Chief
Every OTA update for every Nexus and Google Experience device since the Motorola Droid at http://www.randomphantasmagoria.com/firmware.

Model:
Carrier:
ROM:
Radio:
Bootloader:

Samsung Galaxy S5
SM-G900T
T-Mobile
kltetmo 4.4.2/KOT49H
G900TUVU1ANCH
G900TUVU1ANCH

Google Nexus 7
ME571KL
Verizon
razorg 4.4.2 / KVT49L
H00_2.42.0_1204

Google Nexus 10
GT-P8110
N/A
mantaray 4.4.2 / KOT49H
N/A
MANTAMF01

Other toys:

Sony Z Ultra GPE
Motorola Moto G GPE
The Following User Says Thank You to oldblue910 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheWerewolf
Old
Thanks Meter 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue910 View Post
It'll work fine a road, but you probably won't have LTE. You'll have to make do with HSPA+.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
He may get it depending on which country he's in. The NA version of the N7 LTE supports LTE bands 1/2/3/4/5/13/17.

1 - Macedonia
3 - Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (Bouyges), Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Span, Switzerland, UK

2, 4, 5, 13 and 17 aren't used in Europe.

Unfortunately, the main bands are 7 and 20. So it's possible you'll get LTE but even in those countries, some are 7 with some 3 (France for example) so you might find 3 support spotty.

Annoyingly, Canada is 4 and 7. So we have a similar problem with the NA N7 LTE. It's ok right now - but there's a growing move to 7 which will make this device a problem in a few years.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheWerewolf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

coffeelude
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the information guys, those are very helpful details. Am guessing the nexus 7 available from google play unlocked? The price of the unlocked version and the carrier version is the same and that got me thinking if there was a catch.

Could you use the nexus 7 with a SIM to make calls?

oldblue910
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2010

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelude View Post
Thanks for the information guys, those are very helpful details. Am guessing the nexus 7 available from google play unlocked? The price of the unlocked version and the carrier version is the same and that got me thinking if there was a catch.

Could you use the nexus 7 with a SIM to make calls?
They're all unlocked. They just include a carrier SIM for added convenience. There's no such thing as an N7 LTE that's locked to a carrier.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition using Tapatalk
Every OTA update for every Nexus and Google Experience device since the Motorola Droid at http://www.randomphantasmagoria.com/firmware.

Model:
Carrier:
ROM:
Radio:
Bootloader:

Samsung Galaxy S5
SM-G900T
T-Mobile
kltetmo 4.4.2/KOT49H
G900TUVU1ANCH
G900TUVU1ANCH

Google Nexus 7
ME571KL
Verizon
razorg 4.4.2 / KVT49L
H00_2.42.0_1204

Google Nexus 10
GT-P8110
N/A
mantaray 4.4.2 / KOT49H
N/A
MANTAMF01

Other toys:

Sony Z Ultra GPE
Motorola Moto G GPE

Duffmantp
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelude View Post
Can I buy the nexus 7 LTE version from google play and use it abroad? Has anyone done this? Would appreciate any information on countries one could use the nexus.
I actually just bought the unlocked N7 for the same reason to travel aboard, and i didnt want carrier locks while there and having to mess to much with unlocking to insert different sims. But, i just got a Tmobile SIM, they have a plan called Simple Choice plan. They are giving free 2G of data on top of the plan you purchase from to over 100+ countries they have service. I pay $50/month for 6.5G of data for US service. I think they have a plan as low as $30/month for 2.5G US Service. And when i travel next year, to a country listed, i will get 2GIG a month, which is totally cool when im only there for two weeks anyway.

And if the country is not listed, then i just buy a local sim for data and never have to worry because the device is unlocked.
Inspire 4g 6/2011 - 5/2011 R.I.P
First Samsung Device
ATT LTE, to bad NYC LTE is slow.
Still Stock =(
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffmantp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lanwarrior
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffmantp View Post
I actually just bought the unlocked N7 for the same reason to travel aboard, and i didnt want carrier locks while there and having to mess to much with unlocking to insert different sims. But, i just got a Tmobile SIM, they have a plan called Simple Choice plan. They are giving free 2G of data on top of the plan you purchase from to over 100+ countries they have service. I pay $50/month for 6.5G of data for US service. I think they have a plan as low as $30/month for 2.5G US Service. And when i travel next year, to a country listed, i will get 2GIG a month, which is totally cool when im only there for two weeks anyway.

And if the country is not listed, then i just buy a local sim for data and never have to worry because the device is unlocked.
So you get 2 GB ON TOP of the 6.5GB?! That's awesome.

How about the minutes, though? If someone casks you at your US numbers and you answered, how much is the per minute cost?
Google Nexus 5 4G LTE
Stock ROM - rooted
Official Jelly Bean 4.4.2

Nexus 7 (2013)
Stock[/B] ROM - rooted
Official Jelly Bean 4.3

Retired
Galaxy Note 8.0
Google Nexus 7 Tablet - Official Google JellyBean 4.2
AT&T Galaxy Note with 4G LTE - Official AT&T Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4
AT&T Galaxy S4 Active with 4G LTE - Official AT&T Jelly Bean 4.2

oldblue910
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2010

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post

How about the minutes, though? If someone casks you at your US numbers and you answered, how much is the per minute cost?
It's not 2GB. It's 200MB.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Model:
Carrier:
ROM:
Radio:
Bootloader:

Samsung Galaxy S5
SM-G900T
T-Mobile
kltetmo 4.4.2/KOT49H
G900TUVU1ANCH
G900TUVU1ANCH

Google Nexus 7
ME571KL
Verizon
razorg 4.4.2 / KVT49L
H00_2.42.0_1204

Google Nexus 10
GT-P8110
N/A
mantaray 4.4.2 / KOT49H
N/A
MANTAMF01

Other toys:

Sony Z Ultra GPE
Motorola Moto G GPE
The Following User Says Thank You to oldblue910 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

coffeelude
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue910 View Post
They're all unlocked. They just include a carrier SIM for added convenience. There's no such thing as an N7 LTE that's locked to a carrier.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition using Tapatalk
Awesome thanks for the information.

Duffmantp
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post

I thought i read somewhere thats calls were .20 per minute. I dont have phone capabilities. So i dont care. I talked with a rep, its unlimited text and data on 2G network for 100+ countries. You can buy 4g/lte data at $5 for 500MB and $10 1GIG for 7 days. The 200MB is for US service not overseas. i hope that clears up the confusion.
Inspire 4g 6/2011 - 5/2011 R.I.P
First Samsung Device
ATT LTE, to bad NYC LTE is slow.
Still Stock =(

The Following User Says Thank You to Duffmantp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]