[Q] ROOT Permission for Novice

Tip us?

BreaMark
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] ROOT Permission for Novice

Hey there Galaxiers,

I'm new to this forum. I just upgraded my AT&T S3 to Jelly Bean 4.3 and becuase of that my tethering app no longer works.

I purchased a new tethering app that has great reviews called "WiFi Tether Router", but it is saying that I have to have "ROOT Permission"

I am assuming this means I have to root or semi-root my phone, but it seems like a lot of trouble.

Is there a simple method to get this permission without rooting, or a safe way to do it for someone who is not a total tecky.

Any help/direction here would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark in Brea

jimchee
Old
Thanks Meter 32
In most cases tethering will require root, that is simple enough to do using cf autoroot, just search I forums and d/l the proper img or tar file(for Odin), rooting will kick your counter, so your warranty is void after that, triangle away will reset flash but not warranty counter.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

BreaMark
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks for the reply . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchee View Post
In most cases tethering will require root, that is simple enough to do using cf autoroot, just search I forums and d/l the proper img or tar file(for Odin), rooting will kick your counter, so your warranty is void after that, triangle away will reset flash but not warranty counter.

Am I to assume that all of my apps and setting will still be intact after this rooting process? And are there different version to root to? If so what would you recommend?

I'm not worried about warranty as I've had the phone for around 2 years. I just don't want to end up with a brick.

If I knew that the upgrade on Jelly Bean would lock out my tethering I would have never done it. God I hate these phone companies always trying to squeeze us for everything and more.

Mark in Brea

jimchee
Old
Thanks Meter 32
They should stay intact, but you should always do a backup in case something goes wrong, you can use the SGS toolkit by mskip's to do the backup but don't use it to root it is not up to date for that, just use option 99 to go straight to menu, bypass model info