Tip us?

JackyJC
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Windows 8 sideload apps?

Hi,

I would like to ask about windows 8 apps

Is that possible to download and install apps other than the windows store?

Thanks for helping

mattman86
Old
Thanks Meter 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackyJC View Post
Hi,

I would like to ask about windows 8 apps

Is that possible to download and install apps other than the windows store?

Thanks for helping
If you are running Windows 8/8.1 RT, no.
If you are running Windows 8/8.1 Pro, yes.
My Phone
Model: Nokia Lumia 520
Carrier: AT&T

My Tablet
Model: Lenovo Lynx K3011W

JackyJC
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman86 View Post
If you are running Windows 8/8.1 RT, no.
If you are running Windows 8/8.1 Pro, yes.
Hi,

Is it as easy as android like just tap on the app download and install?

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackyJC View Post
Hi,

Is it as easy as android like just tap on the app download and install?
No. It requires you to have a Microsoft developers license registered with that machine (free to do) and installation of apps is also done via powershell.

Contrary to the above, you can sideload on RT.

The only real question is why? There isnt a market in downloading non store apps yet.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2481
I think @mattman86 was referring to desktop software, rather than "modern" apps. He's still wrong, since you can use the jailbreak on RT 8.0 and then use desktop programs easily (instruction set architecture permitting), but you are correct that you can sideload "modern" apps, including or RT and on 8.1, pretty easily if you want to.

Powershell (as Admin): Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration (you can type "show-w" and then hit Tab and it will auto-complete).
Hit Enter and follow the instructions. You can use any Microsoft account, even a throw-away created for the purpose, to do the registration.
To install an app package (.APPX file), you can do it manually via Powershell but it's a *lot* easier to run the .PS1 script that should come with the .APPX. That script will take care of all the steps for you, in order, easily.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BIade
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
I think @mattman86 was referring to desktop software, rather than "modern" apps. He's still wrong, since you can use the jailbreak on RT 8.0 and then use desktop programs easily (instruction set architecture permitting), but you are correct that you can sideload "modern" apps, including or RT and on 8.1, pretty easily if you want to.

Powershell (as Admin): Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration (you can type "show-w" and then hit Tab and it will auto-complete).
Hit Enter and follow the instructions. You can use any Microsoft account, even a throw-away created for the purpose, to do the registration.
To install an app package (.APPX file), you can do it manually via Powershell but it's a *lot* easier to run the .PS1 script that should come with the .APPX. That script will take care of all the steps for you, in order, easily.
Thank you so much for that info master!!! Do you know, where to get some "metro"-apps without WindowsStore?
Are there any open-source or freeware appx or can we only take self-developed ones?
Can we take those .appx files from our already downloaded apps from store?
If i remember correctly either
Code:
 C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository
or
Code:
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
Cheers
Blade

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2481
You can occasionally find homebrew apps here on XDA - the early versions of the Jailbreak tool for RT relied on one, for example - but I'm not aware of any large collection of them. If it's possible to re-construct .APPX files from the installed system (probably), it is something I have never attempted and have little interest in. Too much potential for piracy, too little reward.

WP8 projects:
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BIade
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
You can occasionally find homebrew apps here on XDA - the early versions of the Jailbreak tool for RT relied on one, for example - but I'm not aware of any large collection of them. If it's possible to re-construct .APPX files from the installed system (probably), it is something I have never attempted and have little interest in. Too much potential for piracy, too little reward.
I just thought about freeware-appx from the store, but sadly you are right, this info could lead into the wrong direction...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
| HTC Desire Z | 1.2 GHz | Android 4.2.2 | CM10.1 Flinny's Build 22 Modded |
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2481
The world would be *such* a nicer place if people could just be counted on to be ethical...

WP8 projects:
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects: