XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

On the fence for this phone, just have a few last minute questions

Tip us?

zeth006
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Default On the fence for this phone, just have a few last minute questions

Background: Coming from an aging LG G2x which I flashed to ICS using EB's build. Came with problems outta the box which necessitated rooting/flashing to keep it usable. It's gotten really slow over the nearly 3 years since I first got it and it's now unable to run games like Iron Man 3. I just had a few questions I was hoping you guys answer:

1. I understand Kitkat updates have been rolling out. What're the chances Moto will continue updates for this phone going into 2015? Is it likely to get long-term support like the X may receive?

2. How's the HSPA+ 42mbps connectivity? I'm migrating from HSPA+ 21mbps and debating getting this phone or the Galaxy Light which comes with LTE on top of HSPA+ 42mbps. Would really like high-speed tethering and finding that my speeds are kind of slow indoors.

3. How easy is it to root/flash this phone? Is there a locked bootloader, the unlocking of which would void my warranty?

As I understand it, there's already a fast growing dev community for this phone, which really pushes me in the direction of this phone since my G2x would've been dead in the water if not for working XDA roms!

PloniAlmoni
Old
Thanks Meter 15
There is an unlocked bootloader. Motorola voids warranty on all non-developer devices including all moto gs at present. HSPA I think is at 21mbps, not 42 like a Nexus 4, and no LTE of course. The galaxy light though is unlikely to have a strong developer community and is overall a worse device....

sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

thesavvymage
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
1. Nobody knows except motorola.
2. This phone only supports HSPA+ 21, not 42 or lte.
3. Bootloader is unlockable, but unlocking voids the warranty as with most non-dev phones.

Wishlist for a perfect android phone: Stock Android | MicroSD Slot | Big Battery | DONE!
Nexus 4 was so close...

zeth006
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Arg. 21mbps only?! Ahhhh!

And yeah, developer support is a huge one for me. If the Galaxy Light gets none, that's a dealbreaker from day one.

Guess I'm going to have to wait until Motorola updates their X series to LTE and the G series to HSPA+ 42mbps, assuming that's the plan.

PloniAlmoni
Old
Thanks Meter 15
HSPA 42mbps uses two towers, as such it does not scale and is not being included in newer T-Mobile phones which will use LTE instead for "4g" communication.

zeth006
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PloniAlmoni View Post
HSPA 42mbps uses two towers, as such it does not scale and is not being included in newer T-Mobile phones which will use LTE instead for "4g" communication.

Interesting. So does that mean LTE is the next natural step?

PloniAlmoni
Old
Thanks Meter 15
For a prepaid device meant for BRIC countries? Probably not, they're still building out their 3g networks.