5,600,725 Members 38,948 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Several questions how to proceed (GT-i8160)

Tip us?

Ultr4hax0r
Old
(Last edited by Ultr4hax0r; 23rd December 2013 at 07:46 AM.) Reason: Added a question
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Several questions how to proceed (GT-i8160)

I have searched for solutions/guides about 9 hours now and yet I am not sure how to proceed. My problem is following:

I'm attempting to install CM 10.1 + Gapps in Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GT-i8160 as instructed here [ROM][4.2.2][TeamCanjica] CyanogenMod 10.1.

Details:
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GT-i8160
Firmware: GT-I8160 NEE I8160XXMG2 (Nordic)

I have succesfully rooted the phone (e.g. Superuser and Titanium backup running on the phone) by these steps [GUIDE] Root Your Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160 [GB and JB].

Quote:
Steps (Jelly Bean with Stock Kernel):
  • First, Put the SuperSU Flashable Zip to your SD Card.
  • Boot into Recovery Mode (Volume Up + Home + Power)
  • Flash the CWM from stock recovery.
  • Flash the SuperSU Flashable Zip from CWM recovery.
  • Wait.
  • Choose "Reboot System Now"
  • Tadaa, now you have a rooted phone.
Here is a list of things what I have done:
- Downloaded CWM 6 by Shaaan from http://d-h.st/oZD
- Moved the zip file to external SD card via USB cable
- Downloaded SuperSU-v1.86
- Moved SuperSU-v1.86 zip file to external SD card via USB cable
- Turned phone power off
- Turned on Android recovery mode by pressing simultaneously volume up button, home button and power button
- In Android recovery mode I chose option "install zip file from SD card"
- Installed SuperSU-v1.86 from zip file (using Android recovery mode)
- Installed CWM 6 by Shaaan (using Android recovery mode)
After I finished installing CWM 6 it switched from Android recovery mode to CWM automatically.
- I chose option "reboot now" (using CWM 6)
My phone booted normally, SuperSU 1.86 was installed and I was able to run it. I also tested to run Titanium backup to ensure that my phone is rooted.
At this stage I turned power off from phone and entered again back to Android recovery mode. Since CWM 6 by Shaaan is temporary I had to install it again from zip file. When I am using CWM and choose option "install zip file from SD card" it shows up the following error message:

E: canít mount /sd card

I tried to format external SD card using Windows quick format. I set the file system to FAT32 and block size 4096. Then I copied CWM zip file back to external SD card, run it and tried to choose option "install zip file from SD card" again but I still received the same error as described above.

So my phone should be rooted at this stage but I'm not sure how I should proceed. One possible solution is attempt to install CM 10.1 + Gapps using Android recovery mode. I haven't tried out this yet because I'd not rather see my phone get bricked.

My questions are listed below:
1. Am I missing something, should I install something in other way?
2. Would it be safe to attempt install CM 10.1 + Gapps using Android recovery mode?
3. Should I perform factory reset and dalvik wipe before trying to install CM 10.1 + Gapps in Android recovery mode?
4. Is it necessary to use CWM? Should I use some other version of it?

teddytsen
Old
Thanks Meter 886
4. Yes it is.
Try Reflash official firmware, use temp cwm 6 again and see.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk
Galaxy Ace 2
Rom: CM11
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: CWM
Theme

My works for Galaxy Ace 2
Android Open Kang Project 4.4
Ported Android Open Kang Project
Ported Carbon 4.4.2
MIUI v5

Ryccardo
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultr4hax0r View Post
My questions are listed below:
1. Am I missing something, should I install something in other way?
2. Would it be safe to attempt install CM 10.1 + Gapps using Android recovery mode?
3. Should I perform factory reset and dalvik wipe before trying to install CM 10.1 + Gapps in Android recovery mode?
4. Is it necessary to use CWM? Should I use some other version of it?
2: it's "safe" as it will fail before it starts replacing your OS with one that "Android system recovery (3e)" will accept
3: before or after is generally the same (when it's not, do it first) as long as you do it and wiping data+cache includes dalvik as it's either all in cache or split between the two

Maybe try putting the zips in the USB storage then select in CWM "install from storage">"internal sdcard" (the last option)...