[Q] I seek help and guidance

Tip us?

ViktorN
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Default [Q] I seek help and guidance

Hello everybody,

I am terribly sorry to do this to you, but I'm writing this on a very crappy tablet as my PC has run into quite a number of problems. That makes it very hard for me to dig for the info and my phone should arrive tomorrow. Anyway, now that I have somewhat justified this mischief of mine, I would like to ask you, the G2 people, a few questions. As I stated earlier, I ordered a G2 and I would like to root it and slap a good AOSP/Stock Android/AOKP/Nexus-ish ROM on it as quickly as possible. I have to do this over a friends PC, so I should tell him which files to download in order to make his life easier. Now, let's get to the questions. I live in Croatia (which is a part of the EU) so will I get the d802 variant of the phone? Which ROM would be most suitable for my needs, which are GTA San Andreas (when it comes out, trading a kidney for an early release), listening to music, a stock android experience and good battery life? The camera could come in handy because of all the holiday events taking place in the near future, but good camera quality isn't that much of a factor. Again, I am very sorry for asking these questions. If I had a normal PC, I would have searched for the answers myself, but I am desperate here. I'm going on a trip to visit my friend soon and I'd love to go there without the LG software and also without my phone getting stuck in bootloops or with bad battery life.

Thanks in advance!

Incep
Old
Thanks Meter 44

DONATE TO ME
Hi!
There's two paths:

Modding the stock rom
Benefits
  • Stable, fast
  • Excellent camera and audio quality
  • Bug free
Cons
  • Takes some modding in order to get it the way you like, if you like AOSP
  • You don't get the quick pulldown live tiles function from AOSP no matter what you do..
Recommended mods:

ROM and mods
AOSP rom:
I've heard that Vanir rom is the smoothest atm
Pros:
  • 4.4.x
  • AOSP apps
  • Lightweight

Cons
  • Unoptimized kernels
  • Not better battery time or performance
  • Feels rough around the edges
  • The implementation of things like the LED and 'knock off' and 'knock on' functions are not very good (you will learn to love them!)
  • audio quality is very bad, aosp camera also. there is a port of the LGcamera.apk, but it is very buggy unfortunately. Will make you upset very fast!
The Following User Says Thank You to Incep For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ViktorN
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Thank you, you have been very helpful! I just might stick with stock for a while, at least to the end of the holidays.

Incep
Old
Thanks Meter 44

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorN View Post
Thank you, you have been very helpful! I just might stick with stock for a while, at least to the end of the holidays.
Good luck with that, my preferred choice is stock, even coming from a Nexus 4, and being very design-concious
The Following User Says Thank You to Incep For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ViktorN
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incep View Post
Good luck with that, my preferred choice is stock, even coming from a Nexus 4, and being very design-concious
I couldn't resist, I simply had to flash stock Android. OmniROM first boot happening as I'm typing this.

revan17
Old
Thanks Meter 247
Quote:
I couldn't resist, I simply had to flash stock Android. OmniROM first boot happening as I'm typing this.
Please write some opinions on the camera quality of OmniROM. I'm a new user as well, still on stock though and I'm curious as to how the camera quality is in OmniROM.

Pozzz.

Haseeb123
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Hello everybody,

I am terribly sorry to do this to you, but I'm writing this on a very crappy tablet as my PC has run into quite a number of problems. That makes it very hard for me to dig for the info and my phone should arrive tomorrow. Anyway, now that I have somewhat justified this mischief of mine, I would like to ask you, the G2 people, a few questions. As I stated earlier, I ordered a G2 and I would like to root it and slap a good AOSP/Stock Android/AOKP/Nexus-ish ROM on it as quickly as possible. I have to do this over a friends PC, so I should tell him which files to download in order to make his life easier. Now, let's get to the questions. I live in Croatia (which is a part of the EU) so will I get the d802 variant of the phone? Which ROM would be most suitable for my needs, which are GTA San Andreas (when it comes out, trading a kidney for an early release), listening to music, a stock android experience and good battery life? The camera could come in handy because of all the holiday events taking place in the near future, but good camera quality isn't that much of a factor. Again, I am very sorry for asking these questions. If I had a normal PC, I would have searched for the answers myself, but I am desperate here. I'm going on a trip to visit my friend soon and I'd love to go there without the LG software and also without my phone getting stuck in bootloops or with bad battery life.

Thanks in advance!
I've spent quite much time with many ROMs and the best I find in CyanogenMod 11. I get 0% battery loss over the night. I get the latest software with best features of CM. I get above 31,000 Antutu benchmarks on this ROM and GTA San Andreas works flawlessly! Don't forget to use the latest TWRP 2.6.3.4 and you're good to go with this amazing phone. You can even get the quick remote and the LG camera apk on CyanogenMod. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

twiztednibbz
Old
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
Slimkat doesn't have many issues... its very nice small and stable as well. instead of knock off use the navbar ring to set lock screen on a vertical swipe knock off problem solved until it is fully implemented. knock on works perfect. Great KITKAT rom.

stockmod rom is EXCELLENT no other way to describe it - my only issue has been audio quality when playing on my stereo through jack is very crackly...