5,600,182 Members 40,890 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [i9505] S4 Corrupting Music Library!

Tip us?

Krimsonmyst
Old
(Last edited by Krimsonmyst; 21st December 2013 at 02:01 AM.) Reason: Added info.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Question [Q] [i9505] S4 Corrupting Music Library!

Hey everybody,

So, I recently bought a Samsung 64gb SD card for my i9505 to put music on, but I'm running into some troubles with it.
Basically, all the music copies over fine, but it corrupts once I try to play it.

I have tried copying it from my iTunes library via iSyncr, via Easy Tunes Sync, as well as just drag and drop. I have converted them when the phone asks me to (I have tried both, converted and non-converted).

I have tried both in the regular Samsung Music player, as well as PlayerPro (the player I use normally). To give you an idea, here is what the files look like before I try to play the music:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-21-11-37-05.png
Views:	306
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	2466016

And here's what it looks like AFTER I play:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-21-11-36-44.png
Views:	311
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	2466017

Another weird thing, is SOME songs work (only artists who start with D through to I - it's not random, JUST that chunk of music plays). If I try to play in Music app, it just skips the track. If I try in PlayerPro, I get 'Sorry, this audio file could not be played in the player'. Weird thing is, they're all mp3s, no DRM.

I've done some searching around and some people have suggested clearing data in the Media Storage app, but I've tried that and it doesn't work for me.

Has anyone got any ideas that might help?

PS. I'm rooted and running Goldeneye 16.2.
Before anyone suggests that it might be the ROM, I doubt it. I came from CyanogenMod 4.3 and the issue was happening there as well (I thought maybe switching back to a Sammy ROM might help)
The only other option I really have left is to get rid of root and go back to pure stock I don't really want to do that but I can't keep streaming all my music, it's wrecking my data usage =\

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3030
What format ? (the card)
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Probably the best thread ever posted on XDA
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
Donate to you ?? Bahahaaaaahahahahahahaaahahaha !!!

Krimsonmyst
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
What format ? (the card)
It's FAT32 - when formatting the drive I've been using the 'default' option for formatting in CWM Recovery.
I also have the option to use exFat or NTFS.

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3030
OK. Does the custom kernel you're running support NTFS ? (stock doesn't). If it does, try formatting the card NTFS, put your music on & see what happens. If you're not running one that does support it, try one that does. And yeah, you could try exFAT as well I guess.

In saying all that, you're right though. All DRM free mp3's doing that is not normal. Next step after that is trying another card.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?

Krimsonmyst
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
OK. Does the custom kernel you're running support NTFS ? (stock doesn't). If it does, try formatting the card NTFS, put your music on & see what happens. If you're not running one that does support it, try one that does. And yeah, you could try exFAT as well I guess.

In saying all that, you're right though. All DRM free mp3's doing that is not normal. Next step after that is trying another card.
I'm running Talexop kernel which is built off stock, and it doesn't say anything about NTFS so I'm guessing its a no go.

Do you have any recommendations for a solid NTFS kernel?

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3030
Don't use it personally, first page of kernel threads/XDA search is your best bet.

Krimsonmyst
Old
(Last edited by Krimsonmyst; 23rd December 2013 at 12:07 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Don't use it personally, first page of kernel threads/XDA search is your best bet.
Tried ExFat, no luck. Though on ExFat it does something different. MORE of the songs play, but some artists are missing completely. There is no consistency with the problems I'm experiencing.

EDIT: Tried a SanDisk card instead of the Samsung one - worked fine. Guess Samsung hardware doesn't play nice with Samsung hardware? O_o

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3030
Really ?? Yeah, that's a real case of WTF !? (two bits of manufacturer's kit not playing nice with each other). At least you got it sorted eventually