5,604,730 Members 32,875 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why Knox is probably not an irreversible e-fuse (speculation)

Tip us?

jonboyuk
Old
Thanks Meter 60
I feel violated! I've spent 500 on a device that by the fact it's Android, is supposed to be customisable - that's sort of the mantra of Android, isn't it?

The fact that I can only disable a few of the Samsung bloatware apps annoys the hell out of me.

If I buy a PC, I can uninstall whatever I wish, so why can't I do that on my phone? Because Samsung don't allow it as they are in the system area of the device. I wouldn't need to root in the first place if I was allowed to choose which software I want to use.

Not all of us want to screw around with the frequencies of their processor, graphics, ram etc.

KNOX is nothing more than a convenient excuse by way of 'security' for Samsung to kill two birds with one stone.

It will be hacked eventually...what is made by a human can be reversed by another, mark my words
Phone History

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in Black
Android ROM: Official 4.3 - Stock and Knox 0x0
Samsung Galaxy Gear in Mocha Grey
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 in Black
Android ROM: Official 4.3

xclub_101
Old
(Last edited by xclub_101; 22nd December 2013 at 04:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboyuk View Post
I feel violated! I've spent 500 on a device that by the fact it's Android, is supposed to be customisable - that's sort of the mantra of Android, isn't it?
You can still customize whatever you want - except selected cases (AT&T and Verizon? - where we know it is an explicit request of the carrier) the bootloader configuration will still let you install a custom recovery and custom kernel and custom ROM. And that is still very, very rare among all the non-Nexus and non-developer-edition phones in the world. That is also pretty unheard of in phones outside the Android ecosystem.

Don't get me wrong, the Knox stuff is still pissing me off a little - but on the other hand given the large amount of Samsung phones that I have seen bricked by morons I can't say that I do not understand how Samsung would like to separate things a little.
N9005 Universal Root De La Vega / Mobile Odin Pro, Knox 0x0, MJ7

alom5
Old
(Last edited by alom5; 22nd December 2013 at 09:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 169
Knox is not a big deal. You can still do what you want with the phone and make the appearance and performance to suit the individual. Warranty. .... Either the phone goes wrong in the early days or it stays the long haul. ..I still have 2 galaxy s and an s2 and note 1 all working and rooted and running custom rom and kennels and no problems at all.

Worst case scenario. ..I have insurance. ..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

vgergo
Old
(Last edited by vgergo; 22nd December 2013 at 11:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 29
I have a Note 3 with a funny screen (bent under the glass, hard to explain) but i am afraid to take it back under warranty, because the replacement unit will surely come with rom version mj7 or higher which reportedly has half the battery life of my current mj1, plus it's not possible to root without tripping knox.

Now, if downgrade was allowed, it would be a totally different case, I would not hesitate to claim warranty on this hardware problem.

I can live with the funny looking screen (only noticeable when the screen is turned off), I decided I will wait with the warranty claim until knox reset, or downgrade without knox tripping becomes possible, or a new firmware with at least as good battery life as mj1 comes out...

Battery life is extremely important to me, and I just love to be able to keep all features of the phone enabled (voice wake, quick glance, all location based google now features, location history, lte, nfc, etc etc) and still get over 5-6 hours of screen on time and a full 16-17 hour stand by.

It is so perfect now I am afraid to risk it, not being able to downgrade legally really limits my willingness to ever upgrade

Samsung Galaxy Note III N9005 - stock MJ1 rooted Knox 0x0 (since dec 6)

Replace S Voice with Google Now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....deathtosvoice (works with always listening voice wake-up "Hi Galaxy" too!)

grud1e
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Thief-117 View Post
As a side note, does anyone else feel violated by Samsung because of Knox? The fact they literally boobytrapped their devices with Knox to flag unlocked bootloaders under the guise of "enterprise security" is absolutely disgusting and pathetic. They should have released versions without Knox for the general consumers.

i don't feel violated or cheated nor am i pissed at samsung.....they are not stopping you doing what you want with the phone what they are doing is telling you that if you mess with it then the secure area is fubar .....they are not saying the phone is only the secure area .........and with earlier phones the warning was the same root and your warranty is gone.......

....as for the warranty in the eu we are covered as samsung has to prove that rooting the phone has caused the hardware to fail a blanket your warranty is void won't work....eg my phone is knox 0x1 and the home button falls out .....that is not caused by rooting it is a fault and will be covered by the warranty no matter the state of knox

i am happy with the note 3 ...sure there are people complaining of this and that but that will always be the case my phone does what i want it to do when i want it to so i have no problems

!crazy
Old
Thanks Meter 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea View Post
If you ever had to protect data that badly, KNOX makes perfect sense.

Sometimes people have sensitive data on their phones (we're not talking about pictures of your dick.) that needs a killswitch. If someone steals your phone, roots it, they can access the data. With KNOX, they can't. For some of us, that's relevant. (No, I'm not getting a blackberry.)

No, I don't feel 'violated by samsung'. Ever had a look at a game console, TV, fridge or any other electronic device? Hell, a car even has the principle of 'mess with the engine and we won't pay for the damage you do.'

Everything has a sticker on the side: "If this sticker is broken, warranty is void". EXACT SAME THING. Nobody complained about that for the last 25 years. This is really nothing new. Welcome to reality.

KNOX can probably be reset as Samsung can do it (We've seen it), but once the switch is triggered, the data is gone.
That kind of data protection is achieved with encryption. Good reliable security solutions are open sourced, no need to use some black box, providing Samsung and their partners access to your data.

So to repeat, encrypt phone with stock android encryption, and it is ok. No it is not 100% secure, but nothing is, neither knox.

j_hansen
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I doubt that is the case, I just got note 3 a few days ago and it's mj7 and I'm getting savage battery life even though it has only been through3 charge cycles, over 18 hours of standby and 4 1/2 hours of on-screen time and I still had 40% on the battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgergo View Post
I have a Note 3 with a funny screen (bent under the glass, hard to explain) but i am afraid to take it back under warranty, because the replacement unit will surely come with rom version mj7 or higher which reportedly has half the battery life of my current mj1, plus it's not possible to root without tripping knox.