5,596,066 Members 33,459 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Full or not full? That is the question

Tip us?

OldOldDev
Old
(Last edited by OldOldDev; 22nd December 2013 at 11:45 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Full or not full? That is the question

I got the little tinkle sound earlier that signifies that the battery is fully charged, but noticed that the battery icon in the top right seemed to indicate that it was still charging. Please see the 2 screenshots taken at 10.15pm.

So i decided to leave it a while and later noticed that the battery icon changed to full.

Does that mean that the lithium battery trickle charges for about half hour or so?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-22-22-15-05.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	2469148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-22-22-15-24.png
Views:	300
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	2469149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-22-22-51-31.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	2469150  

khaytsus
Old
Thanks Meter 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOldDev View Post
I got the little tinkle sound earlier that signifies that the battery is fully charged, but noticed that the battery icon in the top right seemed to indicate that it was still charging. Please see the 2 screenshots taken at 10.15pm.

So i decided to leave it a while and later noticed that the battery icon changed to full.

Does that mean that the lithium battery trickle charges for about half hour or so?
LiIon/LiPoly do not trickle charge. Your guess is as good as mine as to why it indicated it was full prior to it really being full. Perhaps it indicates full charge at 95% or something? Did you look to see what exact percentage it was when it "tinkled"?
AT&T LG G2 - 4.3, AOKP
Samsung Note i717 - 4.2.2, Unofficial AOKP
Nexus 7 Wifi 2012 - 4.4.2, Stock Rooted (m-kernel)
Try my Alternative XDA CSS Themes (including 2010!)

--
http://theblackmoor.net
http://unlimitedphoto.com

Steamer86
Old
(Last edited by Steamer86; 23rd December 2013 at 12:27 AM.)
Thanks Meter 126
They do trickle charge(low mA) at top end... and bottom... and depending on temperature.... very apparent if checking mA readings. Charging logic. Your findings are correct. I still say there is ****ty top and bottom end calibration on this phone, though makes 0 difference in how long the battery lasts if you leave it sit. How we get that magic 1% top end and **** 5% bottom, that sometimes powers off at 2%.

OldOldDev
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks guys. The prevailing logic is that lithiums don't trickle charge because when they are "fully" charged then they *should* automatically switch off the power, but there definitely does seem to be evidence of a trickle change effect.
My guess is that my particular phone has poor battery calibration, but i don't know yet.

Quote:
Did you look to see what exact percentage it was when it "tinkled"?
It showed 100% (it also shows this in GSam battery monitor in the 2nd screenshot). Every singlge time the 'tinkle alarm' goes off it shows 100%

Steamer86
Old
(Last edited by Steamer86; 23rd December 2013 at 03:13 AM.)
Thanks Meter 126
It's all LG G2s. I wouldn't say it's trickle per say, the logic just slows the mA draw at top end. Doesn't shut on and off, Just starts again at a certain % threshold. Calibration at 100% and bottom is indeed mis-calibrated. The standby mA draw in BMW and LG diagnostics reports +27,28 mA. A bit odd of you ask me.... Should be negative... all the more to assume bad calibration.

maydayind
Old
Thanks Meter 52
not an expert but lipo cells are charged individualy and needs to be in balance maby that's why. all lipo have this issue and have som time the need to be balanced don't know I f the phone do that automatically...

just a idé don't know if that's the issue

garywojdan81
Old
Thanks Meter 422
If you monitor the rate at which it's drawing charge once it nears 100%, you'll see it slows considerably but doesn't stop all at once. Its much more accurate to use the actual voltage to monitor charge. Gsam or android tuner do a pretty good job of that.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk