Tip us?

Fiftysilver
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] My Phone is bricked maybe?

Hello I'm new here how is everyone?

Okay here is my issue:
I have a Verizon Galaxy S4 its on Android 4.3 with the build ending in mj7. It is rooted via the vroot method. So I've been looking around for a custom recovery so I could flash a ROM (preferably CM 11). I've came across a safestrap version that worked with my build (3.70). I downloaded the apk, installed it, installed the recovery and booted into recovery fine. I made my back up via the tool and also have a Samsung kies back up from before my root. So after I backed up my data I did my data wipe of the phone. The generic wipe my SD card and the data in it are good. Well long story short the phone turned off without installing a new ROM. Well phone powers on and stuck on Samsung logo with the open lock on it.

Was wondering can I..
A: Somehow force the safestrap to start via adb and restore my back up?
B: restore my back up through adb itself?
C: Use Odin to restore my stock firmware somehow even while rooted?
D: Sideload CM from adb?
E: I'm out of luck buy a new phone?

Thank you.

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftysilver View Post

Okay here is my issue:
I have a Verizon Galaxy S4 its on Android 4.3 with the build ending in mj7. It is rooted via the vroot method. So I've been looking around for a custom recovery so I could flash a ROM (preferably CM 11). I've came across a safestrap version that worked with my build (3.70). I downloaded the apk, installed it, installed the recovery and booted into recovery fine. I made my back up via the tool and also have a Samsung kies back up from before my root. So after I backed up my data I did my data wipe of the phone. The generic wipe my SD card and the data in it are good. Well long story short the phone turned off without installing a new ROM. Well phone powers on and stuck on Samsung logo with the open lock on it.

Was wondering can I..

Thank you.
I beg all you new guys spend a couple hours reading some threads here...If I had a dollar every time some one posted about issues with trying roms NOT compatible with SafeStrap .
Again...no cm or asop base roms will work with safestrap...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
S4 powered by hashcode 3.71 safestrap HYPERDRIVE 15 by Sbreen94

riker147
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:

Okay here is my issue:

Was wondering can I..

Thank you.
You should be able to use Odin to get back to stock MJ7. There are guides in the development section. Just so you know, you can't flash Cm 11 with Safestrap. As far as I know, the only ROM that works with MJ7 and Safestrap is Hyperdrive 11. Even if you're on an older base, you would only be able to flash TW based ROMs with Safestrap.

My suggestion, do A LOT of reading. There's tons of info on these boards.

Sent from my NCC 1701 Using Tapatalk 4
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental
The Following User Says Thank You to riker147 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

biglil1
Old
Thanks Meter 108
C; Google how to Odin back to stock.
Have you tried to boot the phone into recovery and restore your backup with SS? I never used SS but if you can make a backup I'm sure you can restore one as well

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Fiftysilver
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I beg all you new guys spend a couple hours reading some threads here...If I had a dollar every time some one posted about issues with trying roms NOT compatible with SafeStrap .
Again...no cm or asop base roms will work with safestrap...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
You are correct and that is my mistake.

Quote:
You should be able to use Odin to get back to stock MJ7. There are guides in the development section. Just so you know, you can't flash Cm 11 with Safestrap. As far as I know, the only ROM that works with MJ7 and Safestrap is Hyperdrive 11. Even if you're on an older base, you would only be able to flash TW based ROMs with Safestrap.

My suggestion, do A LOT of reading. There's tons of info on these boards.

Sent from my NCC 1701 Using Tapatalk 4
Quote:
C; Google how to Odin back to stock.
Have you tried to boot the phone into recovery and restore your backup with SS? I never used SS but if you can make a backup I'm sure you can restore one as well

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
It worked. Didn't the first time but tried ODIN again with a stock mj7 ROM I found here.

I restored back to factory and implemented vroot once again, swapped out the Chinese (Korean?) superuser for our good old traditional one. I then re-installed safestrap apk and re-installed the recovery. I went in and found my back up I made earlier today and restored my phone back to how it exactly was before all this mess started.

Lesson learned I'll do my due-diligence next time and just keep my root till I can find a solid method to getting CM/Stock android on my Galaxy S4.

I'll try Hyperdrive 11

Thank you guys for all your help.;

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1256

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I restored back to factory and implemented vroot once again
Why vroot? There is an open rooting technique - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565758

Seems like you've got more reading to do.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1